Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the weight limit on the roof of the PM from the standard mounts? Thinking of making a small deck on the back of a roof rack I'm building. Want to make sure it can support a couple of bodies and gear. 400-500 lbs?

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
Several members have built "roof decks" for their Promasters - check out the archives.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. I'll do some hunting. Good to know it's a possibility.

thanks again

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any suggestions on search terms? Not finding much with the terms "rooftop deck". I am using the general search on this site. I assume that is what you meant by archives.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I don’t remember a report of the weight limit for the roof being here. But CRS is an issue! I'd go to google outside the forum as no one has offered up data either. I’ll try too but I just don’t recall........
Generally a van has a rating of about 300-350+- for a short van (with less feet) and 400-450 for a long van, according to one UK rack seller, but no specific info.
http://vanstation.co.uk/roof-rack-maximum-load-weight

·
Registered
763 Posts
"25 kg for each attachment (point) on the roof must not be exceeded"

Their limits likely assume use while vehicle is in motion with all the lateral/vertical jarring force playing upon the safety margin of the locking pin bolts 'shear force' at the OEM tie points, for a static couple of lawn chairs and a cooler it might be a non-issue?

[EDIT: CRS strikes again, forgot the explanation of CRS! 'Can't remember Sheet'

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Hi Tighe,

I have added a rack and deck to my 2014 PM 136". I have always worked with the 330 lbs limit, however I have exceeded the number without issue. I started with an Aluminum rack from Prime Design. The AluRack weighs 84 Lbs. My deck is made from Mahogany and with hardware it is around 60 lbs. My Yakima Skybox weighs around 60 lbs fully loaded. Two small kayaks weight around 60 lbs. So all together it weighs 264 lbs. When I get up on top to load and unload the roof sees a total of 464 lbs without issue, however knowing that the manufacturer recommends no more than 330 lbs I walk around very carefully.

It would be very interesting to learn about other roof-top experiences.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform pn 42105B and the Heavy duty Mount/bars. Rating is 264lbs, but I've definitely exceeded that many times with no issues yet. Plenty of room up there to sit, sleep or just haul the toys. A bit pricey, but the amount of goodies and widgets they offer is great. I've got the Awning, Fairing, rear roller and a full length rail kit...so far

Attachments

Reactions: tighe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are some beautiful racks guys. Thanks. I too was thinking wood decking. Was hoping it would support two of us, but that may be optimistic. The thought of sleeping under the stars is pretty appealing. I think we'd be at about 500lbs with both of us, a box of gear, and the rack. Most of the weight would be in the back half as well. It is sorta surprising the load is that low when you look at the structure inside the van.

I was designing a pretty slick slide for the cargo box to be able to slide it out to one side when not in motion to open the upper surface for bodies. Since our weight would put us higher than any of you guys have mentioned, I may bail on that idea.

thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Again - likely the limits are for while in motion to protect the mounting point pins, take a look at the tab diameter on attached photo and see for yourself.

While shopping rooftop A/C's I saw they include warnings to upgrade mounting hardware-system if the vehicle is expected to see off-road use, even with the caulk adhesive/weatherproofing finishing steps... warning that their standard bolts can shear or tear mount sheetmetal on lateral shocks & vibrations. I'd expect the same from Fiat to protect their mounting points from a liability point of view; so as long as the Van isn't in motion your 500lbs should* be a non-issue. If you really want to go Safari expedition style then adding extra attach pads over reinforced roof areas is a possibility.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts