Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I thought I would post some photos of my build. This is a 159" hightop. I built it for camping trips to Baja, and Socal deserts and mountains. This is more of a weekender style with no water or toilet.

150 watt solar, 100AH AGM battery, Motion windows, ac/dc indel B TF51 fridge, two burner stove, fantastic fan, LED lights, Sienna seat on a swivel.

I have done a few trips with it and it has exceeded by expectations. 12 days in baja offgrid no problem.

Still to do: exterior flood lights, curtains, screen door, interior trim details, interior LED strip lights, shade awning.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this site, really helped with my build
John

IMG_0449 - Copy (640x480).jpg

IMG_0454 - Copy (640x480).jpg

IMG_0456 - Copy (640x480).jpg

IMG_0458 - Copy (640x480).jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. I need to finish sealing up my propane locker and venting through the floor.

I will not be using the stove much, only in bad weather, I don't like to cook inside. I have a table and a coleman stove I cook on outside.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
It may not be too late to switch to a portable butane stove. I got one in my similar use camper and love it and so I didn't put in propane which saves a lot of space and risk. The stove has been wonderfull, much better than I thought!
See one at:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Butane-Burner-Stove-Free/dp/B000BVC4NY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1465125818&sr=8-10&keywords=portable+butane+stove[/ame]
or a double one at:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Portable-Twin-Butane-Stove/dp/B00B70MWGM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1465125818&sr=8-13&keywords=portable+butane+stove[/ame]
The fuel is available at Sams Club for less than $2 a bottle and lasts many meals each. You can use it on your counter or take it outside. They are made to use inside so are as safe as any burner can be.

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
I agree, go with the butane. Cheap canisters at Sam's Club ($1.25 each), very portable and quick to set up.Forget propane it's just a huge P{TA!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,816 Posts
We have used for many years the simple stoves that screw on top of a propane cylinder. KOV and RD talked us into butane. Probably safer, but more finicky. We will use both. We would never consider building in propane.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do very well with a single burner butane and have used the same on small boats. Canisters are available at many hardware stores also.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree, go with the butane. Cheap canisters at Sam's Club ($1.25 each), very portable and quick to set up.Forget propane it's just a huge P{TA!
Some experience with constant use of electric water heater (boiler) or stove.
If you people have at least 1 aux battery on board and power inverter up to 1,500watts it will takes kare of your energy.

I do have 3 aux-battery dedicated for welding, but for a house life boiling water, shave myself, watch computer on 40" TV screen I use only ONE Aux-battery.
Surly constanly changing battery for a house-use. For instance one week I do use battery N*1 next week N*2 then N*3. ONLY for welding I do use all 4 vans battery connected in parallel by switches

·
Banned
413 Posts
Nice build.

Can you share more info about your sienna swivel seat? Like where you got it, how much it cost, what effort it took to install?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The seats were $1200 for 2 seats shipped to my house from Ebay. They were brand new taken out of a Sienna by a company in Arizona that converts them for wheelchair access.

I bought a swivel base online from here. http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?fullsize=1&product_id=1615 I bought the shortest one.

I took me a couple of weekends to figure it all out and fabricate, but I work kind of slow. I set the seat on the floor with wood blocks to get the standoff height where I wanted. Before I did the final welding I clamped it in place in the van and made sure the seat rotated properly and could recline all the way when facing back.

I made brackets that bolt onto the seat and the swivel base, then brackets that bolt to the floor and the swivel. I used the factory mounting points and bolts on the floor.

I used 1" thick wall square tube for the brackets. I think it was 3/8 plate for the flat pieces. I used angle iron to attach to the seat bottom. I removed the Toyota mounting brackets, but one could probably adapt them somehow.

There is a seat belt built into the seat so no issue with the seat belt buzzer, but I still need to put a resistor in place to fool the airbag sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi MsNomer,
Just went back and read through your build again, your creativity and carpentry skills are fantastic! Much nicer than my build. Your screen door also looks great. I will be copying your ideas to put one on my van.

Just got back from a quick trip to the Southern Sierra's and it was a little buggy so I think that will be my next project.

John

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,816 Posts
Thanks.

Try putting your pillows on the other end of the bed. Then you can wake up to a 270° view of heaven. It's my favorite part of the van.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts