Ram Promaster Forum banner

Weekend Project-Backup camera Install: Pics/Info

PM City 
10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  codetrip 
#1 ·
After weeks and weeks of debating, i finally decided to install a backup camera this weekend in my PMC.
My model came with the UConnect 5.0 without backup camera, and the rear solid panels make it difficult to back out of spaces, especially when next to a van or truck.
Did some researching for a bit, and finally ordered a setup from Amazon.
It included:
(PIC #1 )

Pillow 7 inch TFT Rear view mirror clamp on monitor ($29.99)
Boss Cam25 Weather Proof Backup color camera with night vision ($29.98)
I used my Amazon Prime, and requested Priority Shipping to Hawaii, which came to $25.98, expected deliver would be in 2 days.
I ordered the screen and camera on Tuesday, so expecting it here on Thursday.
Well, there was a delay in shipping, so i did not receive the item until Friday afternoon. Amazon turned around a refunded me the shipping fees because of the delay...AWESOME!!! So, overall setup costed 59.97, shipped 2 day FEDEX...

For those who are looking into installing one, it really is not that difficult. Overall work took roughly about 4 hours, but I was also doing some other things along the way, so if just focused on the camera install, maybe a couple of hours. Majority of time was spent figuring routing options, wiring options, etc.
I have included pics of the install, and below is some useful information that can really help make this job super easy.

-(PICS 2 and 3) Rear door panels are super easy to take off. I used a trim tool kit to remove, started from the bottom and worked my way around. you will here wicked snaps, but that is normal. This is my second time taking them off, and have only busted one tab so far! The top corners of the panels have velcro strips.

-(PIC 4 & 5) With the door panel removed, you can see where the camera housing is located. I centered the camera position in the stock location, and using the drill bit that came supplied with the camera, I drilled out the hole for the camera.

-(PIC #6 ) I decided to use the stock routes for the wiring. Probably the hardest of the wiring, as trying to pass the RCA video cable through this guy proved time consuming and rough. I used a extra long nylon tie strap (because it was flat) and fished it through the tube, and snaked the wires through it one by one. Once I was able to fish the 2 wires through the stock loom, it was a breeze from there. There is so much room in the body panels of the PMC that a good, thick stainless wire that I had was enough to feed all the wiring through the vehicle.

-(PIC #7 ) I decided to stay low instead of going high with the wiring. This cut down on install time, but meant there was no hidden path for the wiring to come out, so I snaked it through an existing body hole in the corner of the cargo area, wrapped it with loom and called it a day! I them snaked the wiring under the rear carpet mat and through the floor moldings, all the way up towards the front driver side of the cabin. (PIC #8 ).

**I used existing wiring that was there from my subwoofer install to power the monitor. I added in a 5a in-line fuse, and tapped off of the power line to my sub.
You could run the power wire through the firewall. There is a grommet behind the brake under the dash at the firewall that will give you access to the engine compartment. Ground wire for monitor...I extended the wire and brought it back to rear seat area (Green cable with blue splice in PIC) and mounted it with the rest of the ground wires in the cabin.

**(PIC #9 ) To tap into the reverse light power wire, you will want to locate the Grey/Green wire going into the rear lamp harness. When Looking at the harness plug, it is the upper left slot on the harness (PIC #1 0)

While I had the panels off, I decided to insulate them and try and cool her off a bit!

Camera was larger than expected, but installed cleanly and looks good! (PIC #1 1)

Overall, am satisfied with the finished install, as it came out as planned but...
1) the screen is not an actual mirror, so I have no view of my rear anymore. Not a huge problem, but takes some getting used to seeing just a black screen...
(probably the one thing I am not really jacked about, and that is the monitor)
2) I needed to download the installation instructions, and installed as instructed. So, the monitor doesn't come on when i shift into reverse, I have to turn it on to display the image, and when I switch to drive, I get a constant blue screen. So, I have to turn it off. Again...if there is one component I am not thrilled about, it is the monitor.
3) Camera is not as wide angle as I would want. Also, item description says that it is weather proof, but instructions says to not expose to wet, heat, constant sunlight, etc...?
Oh well, will save those rants for Amazon.

Gonna upgrade my stereo later, so not super worried since I will tap in the camera to the deck during the upgrade. But for now, this will do the trick, serves its purpose, and I am somewhat happy of how it came out!
Hope this helps anyone who is wanting to install a camera. Not a really difficult install. The PMC really is somewhat easy to work with.
Good luck, and thanks for looking!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not trying to second guess, but...

The monitor should go on automatically when you put it in reverse. I would check the wiring to be sure you have the right trigger wire. Your other option would be to set the monitor and camera for "always on" by wiring the reverse trigger wire to a constant 12V.... that would give you a full time rear view.

Ed

#3 ·
I agree.Have it on all the time,problem solved....except maybe for night driving when you have cars behind you.Nice neat install too.This is my second vehicle with a backup camera,and the best one so far.The stock one is okay for a wide angle view,but could be better.

#4 ·
Believe me, I have tried every wiring possibility short of wiring it backwards and have been unsuccessful in getting some kind of auto on feature.
Considered wiring it to a constant, would be looking at ground while driving, and that would just give me a headache i think...!
I feel the biggest issue is that it is a monitor and not a rear view mirror with a monitor. Most rear view mirror monitors, or at least the ones I see now, do not have an on/off button on it. This one does. Chalk it up to bad research, I guess. My lost for now. Perhaps I'll just have to upgrade to the new stereo sooner than later... :)

#5 ·
Sometimes what the manufacturer says,and what something really is are different. I found when researching something I seriously have to engage my bla bla bla filter,and sometimes it even works,lol.Fortunately the rpmc has some nice side mirrors that are bigger than normal so that should help you when just driving.It does however present you with a ligit reason to buy that stereo,always a plus.:D

#6 ·
question, and possible solution...

I just bought a nearly identical setup (camera and monitor) based on this thread. Nice work putting instructions and photos together StudioX! I've got my camera hole drilled, wires & camera routed, camera power wired to reverse light at the tail light harness, and now I'm left with connecting the monitor to a power source. I want to avoid that blue screen too, and I don't want it on all the time (could be annoying at night)... so I'm thinking: could I wire my monitor into the same reverse light wire somewhere near the fuse box? Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram? Maybe this idea of won't work (too much draw from camera AND monitor from same wire?)... I'm not as savvy with auto electrical as I wish I was. Thanks

#7 ·
I just bought a nearly identical setup (camera and monitor) based on this thread. Nice work putting instructions and photos together StudioX! I've got my camera hole drilled, wires & camera routed, camera power wired to reverse light at the tail light harness, and now I'm left with connecting the monitor to a power source. I want to avoid that blue screen too, and I don't want it on all the time (could be annoying at night)... so I'm thinking: could I wire my monitor into the same reverse light wire somewhere near the fuse box? Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram? Maybe this idea of won't work (too much draw from camera AND monitor from same wire?)... I'm not as savvy with auto electrical as I wish I was. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.