Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust muffler I got from the UK was a pretty good price but it did not come with clamps. The stainless exhaust pipe OD is 25mm and I'm thinking way to stiff to try regular hose clamps. Can't find regular exhaust style clamps this small and to get the clamps from the UK is way more expense than I'm willing to accept. The thought has occurred to me that I might get away with short notches in the exhaust piping then holding with regular hose clamps. What do you think? Has anyone run into this and if so what did you end up with for clamping exhaust pipe to muffler.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I currently have my Espar heater taken off as I'm re-configuring it. On the muffler there was one regular stainless hose clamp and one that appears to be similar to the Webasto clamps. I just checked it and the regular hose clamp does NOT hold it tight and I tried tightening it until it actually snapped! The other clamp it solid and does not move. So my suggestion would be go with the Webasto clamps or consider using small U-bolt style clamps. Those are readily available and are probably what I'll end up re-installing this one with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe found the answer

I have spent a lot of time searching for exhaust clamps. Some that look like they would work don't come in a size that is even close. I did find UK sites that listed the specific exhaust clamps for Webasto and I "could" get them from the UK but I couldn't find any source in north America. I do think I may have found an option. Don't laugh now. Bicycle seat post clamps. I found these [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9QTM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2F8ASE7EZC8FM&colid=1HI2LR6SNUV25&psc=1[/ame] and I am pretty sure they will do the job. I'll check a couple of local bike shops on Monday.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm sure a place that installs these would be able to sell you some. You'd be surprised how many of these shops are located in every city.... a lot of truckers use these products.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might be able to get something at a place that sells Onan camper generators. Some of their small units have a small exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it handled. First bike shop I went to was able to find a couple of the seat post clamps that fit the stainless pipe perfectly. I did use the angle grinder with a cutoff disk to cut a short slot on the pipe end so the clamp could snug down good and tight. The clamps were used and didn’t have a bolt and nut but the price was right, free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts