Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading these threads, we want to go with a Webasto Airtop installed under the passenger seat of our gas van. I have put a call in to the local Webasto dealer but no response. (We're in St. Paul, MN.) Besides getting an Airtop, we'd want the added altitude adjustment switch and the muffler for outside. And we want to get this done by the end of summer.

I don't want to mess with doing the install myself. Anyone doing this in Minnesota? Or does the person in Lincoln, NE do this? If not that, who did Klunytoon's install in Denver?

Any help here would be appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick, response, MsNomer.
AFAIK, there is no such animal for the Webasto as there is for the Espar. Instead, there is a routine with the rheostat and a ground wire.
But I saw this on the Heatso site:
http://www.heatso.com/webasto-high-altitude-switch/

part number 9020156A. $51.78. Webasto Air Top 2000ST / 2000STC Altitude Switch

Certainly worth it if it works!
BTW, is it the ST or STC we want for the US?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I talked to WebastoTech in December. They said the High Altitude switch will not work on the US 2000ST version and there is no switch for the 2000ST.

Also got info from a Mellor tech regarding the 200STC: The high altitude switch is calibrated for 2200m (7218'). They suggest switching on at 1000m (3280'). Switch On reduces fuel delivery equal to 1,650 watts. There is no harm to heater from running with switch on at low altitude, only less output and less carbon buildup. Mellor can adjust the heater to run at a higher elevation with a special carbon monoxide analyzer.

I live at 3,200' so I plan to do the rheostat adjustment, leave it there, and see how I like it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any thermo king can install espars and maintain. I've had both gas and diesel. Very reliable. Diesel 7 years in a straight truck. Gas 3 years in a gas van. Also you can switch from vehicle to vehicle. Most semis on the road use espars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I contacted Webasto N. America with an inquiry into which model is is for the North American market. Here's their reply:

Thank you for contacting Webasto for your heater requirements. The heater you are looking for is not yet available in the North American Market. It is anticipated that it will hit here late this year or early 2018. The current model AT2000ST is virtually the same product but has its own specific fuel pump. The STC will use a new pump that is basically universal to all of the evaporative burner heater we manufacture, which means there will be a software change to the heater ECM.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
If it were diesel I would say Espar as they have such a wide installed base here and are well respected, parts are easy etc. There is a high altitude kit for them as well but it is nearly $300! Gas?....... Looks like Wabasto is much cheaper and a quality product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the quick, response, MsNomer.

But I saw this on the Heatso site:
Webasto High Altitude Switch

part number 9020156A. $51.78. Webasto Air Top 2000ST / 2000STC Altitude Switch

Certainly worth it if it works!
BTW, is it the ST or STC we want for the US?
just so you know the wiring harnesses in the Russian heaters is different and if you ever have a problem and need new parts that US dealers cannot get the same parts and you will have to order from Russia/Europe!

Also look at the VanlifeOutfitters Tech video on their blog that talks about the Russian vs US kits and altitude adjustment. You may not need the altitude adjustment if you follow the Webasto techs info!

Also check out VMACS YouTube page where he does a comparison of the Russian heater kits vs the US heater kits. Same heater just different wiring harnesses. Also good info on why a US dealer cannot help you with parts for a Russian/European kit!

Hope this helps in your decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts