Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Getting ready to install a Webasto Gas heater in our 159. Our local upfitter has a nice metal box to mount the heater in, which would bolt underneath the van.

The other option is to mount it in one of the boxes that will surround the wheel well on the inside of the van.

Priorities:
1. Safety
2. Quiet
3. Space take up inside of van
4. Ease of Install

Note that this is the heater only, not the heater plus water heater.

I like the idea mounting outside so we have more space inside of van. Also seems like it would be quieter as well?

What have you been doing for Webasto/Espar install locations?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have Webasto gas in 159" Van. It is mounted in front of drivers side rear wheel well. Takes up minimal space.
If mounting on the out side you have to cut two huge holes instead of one. One for the intake and one for the heat side.

This could be a problem because it circulates and "reads" the temperature.

Safety. The combustion chamber it separate of the interior heated air (circulation). There is no way for gas fumes or exhaust to get in.
It is separate (combustion chamber). Kinda repeating myself here. This thing is much safer than you would think. There will be
no worries after a couple of runs.

Quiet. It is just a fan noise you hear inside the van. Very quiet in my opinion.

Much easier to install inside. Must be done right and no corner cutting. Just read the manual. Had mine I think 3 years now.
Good luck, it will be fine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't know what's best, mine is inside. For outside install here are some things to consider:
Have the outfitter show you photos of their previous outside installs & give their rational for outside.
Temp control must use inside air temp not intake air temp.
Heated air hose must push air up through floor then bend again inside. Gravity and bends would restrict air flow.
Will box protect hoses?
Can you remove box for maintenance?
Insulate hoses below floor.
Would have less fan noise.
Same pump noise.
Need space inside for intake and circulate vents. This may take as much space as inside install.
Both are safe.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,833 Posts
The key safety factor on these heaters is the seal, normally below the unit, between inside and outside. That must not be compromised.

Duh. I just realized that your box will essentially be interior space with the seal on the bottom. Why have two humongous holes in he floor when one I'll do?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
My Espar has just a couple of 1 1/8 inch holes for the air intake and exhaust and a small hole for the fuel line and its power. I would never consider cutting two 3+ inch holes for the interior air intake and heat tubes. Put it inside in a cabinet. Think about servicing it laying under the van- not for me!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,833 Posts
To service, you'd need to remove the box with the unit in it because you'd need to remove the top cover. Therefore, you'd have to undo all connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts