Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can get this installed? I mountrd it under the passenger seat but need some help putting it all together. Do you know anyone that can do it in the DFW area?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can't help with finding a installer, but you've already mounted it? That's 85% of the work and the rest is basically plug and play. What part of the installation are you having trouble with?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help with finding a installer, but you've already mounted it? That's 85% of the work and the rest is basically plug and play. What part of the installation are you having trouble with?
Yeah I mounted it. Just didn't plug anything in yet. The pipes or anything.

I'm not sure where anything goes. I guess Sim just overwhelmed with seeing all those pipes and wires.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You've already done the hard part and if you break it down into individual steps the rest is easy, especially on the gas model. The fuel tank has a secondary supply line so it's a very short run to the tank and pump, 12v power can be found at the base of pillar between the sliding and front door (Or better yet tie it into your house batter if you have one), run two short sections of hose below the van for the air intake and exhaust (Make sure the metal one sticks out from under the van) and then just put the controller where you want it and plug it in. That's it. I'll admit it does look a bit daunting sitting there in a piles of pieces and wiring, but it's pretty straight forward once you get going.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cutting the holes and mounting it is definitely the hard part! I finished the rest of my install in a parking lot in under 2 hours. (I had rented a shop, but they did not show up, so I used their parking lot because I wanted heat and it was about cold)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Webasto has a website with local dealers/installers. I'd start with that.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
282 Posts
Anybody know where I can get this installed? I mountrd it under the passenger seat but need some help putting it all together. Do you know anyone that can do it in the DFW area?

I Would first ask at what altitude you expect this heater to perform. Before you expend $2-3k into what you think may be realistic. I would not want you to waste your money and have headache/heartbreak above 2k. Due diligence and download the manufacturer's manual, read the disclaimers. You cannot successfully clean the gasoline models when they coke up. You must buy a brand new burner. Check out the cost of a new burner and the labor cost to replace.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cutting the holes and mounting it is definitely the hard part! I finished the rest of my install in a parking lot in under 2 hours. (I had rented a shop, but they did not show up, so I used their parking lot because I wanted heat and it was about cold)
okay well I took it all out and this is what I have figured out so far. Can you take a look?

The question marks are the ones I don't know. Can you double check the whole thing?

Thank you!
20201016_221628.jpg

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,957 Posts
To respond to el jefe, we recently ran our gas Webasto at about 9,500 feet, then 9,000 feet. After a few minutes at 9,000 feet, it started blowing cold air and gave an F02 error code—no flame. I tried several times more with the same result.

The next day, MrNomer found what appeared to be a huge chunk of carbon on the ground below the exhaust. When he handed it to me on a paper towel, I thought it curious that the chunk seemed to have layers. I examined it more closely and discovered it was a large well-cooked moth.

We figured our luck had run out after 3.5 good years, so ordered the burner and gaskets—~$150. We assumed the moth could have choked the exhaust enough to cause carbonation.

The kit is due in the mail tomorrow. Today, I cleared the cabinetry above the unit, then thought, "What have I got to lose?” I turned the rheostat, the unit fired right up and ran steadily until I shut it off 40 minutes later.

We will keep the kit on hand. Some day I assume we will need it. In the meantime, this baby is blowing 180° air heading into our fourth winter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have an Espar which looks a little different than the Webasto, but I'll try to help a bit. The red and brown wires are the power source that get connected to your 12v, the black canister is a muffler for the intake line (The intake line makes a bit of noise without it). I think you have the "Connects to heater" mislabeled as that's actually a fuse. The plug that connects to your heater appears to still be in the roll of wire. I'm not 100% certain, but the part with the "?" at the top middle looks like your fuel pump power connection which connects to the "Where does this connect to" part in the bottom. The lower left appears to be the fuel line if you needed one to put in the tank (You should not need that as the Promaster has one built in).

Again, I have an Espar heater so it's not exactly the same as yours, but they're very similar. My suggestion would be to go to Webasto's website and look for their tutorial/manual. If they don't have one the Eberspaecher USA site has manuals with pictures and detailed directions.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
282 Posts
To respond to el jefe, we recently ran our gas Webasto at about 9,500 feet, then 9,000 feet. After a few minutes at 9,000 feet, it started blowing cold air and gave an F02 error code—no flame. I tried several times more with the same result.

The next day, MrNomer found what appeared to be a huge chunk of carbon on the ground below the exhaust. When he handed it to me on a paper towel, I thought it curious that the chunk seemed to have layers. I examined it more closely and discovered it was a large well-cooked moth.

We figured our luck had run out after 3.5 good years, so ordered the burner and gaskets—~$150. We assumed the moth could have choked the exhaust enough to cause carbonation.

The kit is due in the mail tomorrow. Today, I cleared the cabinetry above the unit, then thought, "What have I got to lose?” I turned the rheostat, the unit fired right up and ran steadily until I shut it off 40 minutes later.

We will keep the kit on hand. Some day I assume we will need it. In the meantime, this baby is blowing 180° air heading into our fourth winter.
Well that was good luck. Do you have the US version? I ordered one of the $150 burners but it did not fit. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I installed a diesel Chinese heater, but recognize some similar parts & @JohnnyRambles already commented on;

I marked up your photo

Red I = air intake (filter or muffler)

Blue P = fuel pickup tube for the tank (Im assuming you don’t need this as you're using the aux nipple @ the top of your gas tank)

Black circle around Pump = I think you have the flow right per arrow on the pump. My heater came with Chinglish instructions & I found a slight arrow, but the orientation of the instructions differed. I,went with the instructions & they were wrong. It was no big deal to swap the fuel lines to the correct flow (but I was not under a van). It looks to me you have the ends of the pump correctly labled.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,957 Posts
Yes, we bought the 2000 ST from a US dealer. I bought the burner from Butler Teknik, part number 84883A. Everything I read says this part fits the ST and the STC, but the gas burner and the diesel burner are different. I hope it is a while before I find out whether this is true.

I am encouraged by faroutride.com. Their gas unit choked, and they posted a decent description of the repair process. Tedious but I think even I could do the replacement part. They remedied issues that may have caused the choking—no altitude adjustment, water pooling in the exhaust, running on low without high burst at the end—and have been running fine for 3 years.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First step is to plug the wiring harness into the unit and route the wires out
Second, put the unit in place and screw it down.
The next thing I did was mount the fuel pump and plumb the fuel lines.
Then I connected the electrical connector from the unit to the fuel pump.
Last step underneath was connecting the air intake and exhaust, which need to be separated a bit
The from inside I made the electrical connection to my circuit breaker panel and plugged in my control unit, which looks like the one you have in the picture.

Turned it on and had to repeat the start up several times until the pump primed the fuel lines and then I had heat.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
282 Posts
First step is to plug the wiring harness into the unit and route the wires out
Second, put the unit in place and screw it down.
The next thing I did was mount the fuel pump and plumb the fuel lines.
Then I connected the electrical connector from the unit to the fuel pump.
Last step underneath was connecting the air intake and exhaust, which need to be separated a bit
The from inside I made the electrical connection to my circuit breaker panel and plugged in my control unit, which looks like the one you have in the picture.

Turned it on and had to repeat the start up several times until the pump primed the fuel lines and then I had heat.
Logic would also be to suck the fuel from the tank to the fuel from the tank to the rubber fuel fuel line connector and collect it in a bottle. I have used a small manual vacuum pump that I use to collect oil and transmission oil for regular analysis by Blackstone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did the high altitude adjust on my Webasto STC today in prep for heading up the hill. No issues to report.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
282 Posts
Good luck. How long do you think you will need to continuously run it above 5k altitude?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts