Ram Promaster Forum banner

Webasto Altitude Adjustment Question

15638 Views 45 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Markwdaisy
I just installed my Webasto 2000 STC, and I am striking out on the altitude adjustment where I am to ground the brown wire coming from the #7 pin, set the rheostat to 12:00, etc. After a few failed attempts, I pulled out the wiring harness at the heater and have discovered what looks like the pin is missing from the #7 male connector on the control board at the heater.

I contacted Webasto's technical support and they said I would need to take it to a dealer and have it calibrated with their magical expensive machines. (They also said if I had the RV version and a Multicontrol I could set it to an altitude correction mode from the controller, but I don't have that altitude option on my Multicontrol so I don't think I got the RV model). So how would Webasto adjust the Co2 settings with this pin missing? What am I missing? Do they have a special harness they plug into the control board that makes contact lower?

I am very tempted to stick a paper clip/pin through the harness so that it makes contact with the board at the heater and ground it. The wiring diagram that came with the heater shows this pin going to a switch of some sort. Any Webasto experts out there? Yellow Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Reactions: el Jefe
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts

· Registered
2014 136” HR
7,849 Posts
As far as I know, it will not revert back on its own. It has to be programmed back by doing the same procedure, but starting at 9 o’clock and moving to 12.
Webasto Tech told me it’s not that simple. Further adjustment would be a shot in the dark w/o test equipment.

There’s also the simple math: x + 10% equals y, but y - 10% does not equal x.

· Registered
15 Posts
I just discovered that my new Webasto is also missing pin #7, so I may end up going this route. This procedure is great.

The worse part is that it's also missing pin 8 & 9 wires from the harness making the remote sensor I was hoping to add worthless. Wonder if it's worth trying to add those pins back in to the harness.

· Registered
442 Posts
Are you guys that keep talking about the missing pin sure you’re looking at the right thing? Did you watch the video link above? It’s literally a two wire pigtail connection with a plug, not some multi pin plug.

· Registered
15 Posts
Are you guys that keep talking about the missing pin sure you’re looking at the right thing? Did you watch the video link above? It’s literally a two wire pigtail connection with a plug, not some multi pin plug.
You were right. I looked again, closer, and it’s the pin opposite to 7 that is missing. Tried the regular procedure again, waiting longer, and it worked fine.

That said, my harness is definitely missing pins 8&9 which aligns with people saying the new Air Top doesn’t support the external temp sensor.

· Registered
17 Posts
I finally was able to get the last part of my webasto put into place ( the 1/8 to 3/8 fuel line conversion ), and I got to try it. It runs so good! Then I tried the altitude adjustment method and it worked super easy! So, I wanted to come back here and make a post so no future newbie ( like I was) starts fretting over things they didn’t have to fret about.. Russian heaters with some pins missing absolutely can do everything you need them to.

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,348 Posts
I finally was able to get the last part of my webasto put into place ( the 1/8 to 3/8 fuel line conversion ), and I got to try it. It runs so good! Then I tried the altitude adjustment method and it worked super easy! So, I wanted to come back here and make a post so no future newbie ( like I was) starts fretting over things they didn’t have to fret about.. Russian heaters with some pins missing absolutely can do everything you need them to.
At what altitude are you running your heater and how many hours have you run at that altitude with the Russian model?

· Registered
17 Posts
I live in
At what altitude are you running your heater and how many hours have you run at that altitude with the Russian model?
I live in Denver , so 5280 feet above seal level. As far as now long: about 5 minutes into the thing, I just set it up. I don’t know know how the webasto will perform long term, what I do know is that the missing pins aren’t a problem for adjusting the system for altitude.

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,348 Posts
I live in

I live in Denver , so 5280 feet above seal level. As far as now long: about 5 minutes into the thing, I just set it up. I don’t know know how the webasto will perform long term, what I do know is that the missing pins aren’t a problem for adjusting the system for altitude.
It would be ideal if there was someplace local with a combustion analyzer to see how it is doing. Good luck. Wish I had purchased the euro model.

· Registered
122 Posts
I live in

Good to know that the Russian heaters can still be programmed for high altitudes. We also live in Denver when we're not traveling and are constantly at elevation when we're on the road. Trying to decide between the Webasto Airtop 2000 gasoline version or the Espar B4. I'm assuming you ordered from heaters4you? How long did it take to get yours if you did order through them?

· Registered
17 Posts
Good to know that the Russian heaters can still be programmed for high altitudes. We also live in Denver when we're not traveling and are constantly at elevation when we're on the road. Trying to decide between the Webasto Airtop 2000 gasoline version or the Espar B4. I'm assuming you ordered from heaters4you? How long did it take to get yours if you did order through them?
I didn't oder from them, I ordered from webasto.club ( look it up exactly as spelled) on eBay. A great Russian guy, sent everything the same evening... I got it in about 3 weeks. He also gave me his whatsapp number in case I had questions with set up, that was a very nice thing to have. I told him I wanted the multi control too and that he bundled it for me at a great price. I figured, if he never sent it paypal has a great return policy, but I never had to use it as all was good.

· Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth, I was able to do the high altitude mode no problem on my "Russian" Webasto. I just didn't wait long enough the first time I tried it.

However, as for the remote sensor, even with adding pins 8 & 9 the remote temp sensor had no effect. I may play with it more later, but for now I'm just going to ditch the remote sensor and duct my air intake from waist height.

· Registered
374 Posts
It was like $85 (an hour of labor) to do this at the closest local Webasto dealer to my house. Planning on doing the same thing with the new one when I get it installed in the new van. Would recommend that, as it's in the firmware so you KNOW it's right vs possibly reverting with a hard power reset.

· Registered
44 Posts
I dont think this is the correct place to find the ground/brown wire. Mine is on a seperate pigtail with a 2 wire connector.

I just did the altitude adjust the other day.
How is yours working out? I just tried mine, followed all the procedure, but I’m getting an error read-out (no flame) rather than just quick flashes... not sure how to tell if the configuration worked.

· Registered
44 Posts
I live in

Assuming your webasto is rather new (mine came from the UK via Heatso), did the altitude calibration work correctly for you first try? I'm pretty sure I got a "no-flame" code rather than the calibration working... and now I'm getting the smell of gas fumes out of the heater's exhaust pipe under the van right as it starts up and right when it shuts down (fumes around for just 5-10 seconds then dissipates). Experience anything like this with yours?

· Registered
17 Posts
Maybe this is how newer Webasto units are being manufactured - with the rotary adjustment disabled, so I thought I would share my workaround. This is what I did to make my Air Top 2000 STC (manufactured in late 2019 - Russian Market variety) run leaner at altitude. I am also now able to read/clear fault codes, troubleshoot my unit should it fail, and monitor the operating hours on my unit.
  1. I modified a VagCom 409.1 OBD2 adapter (As a VW owner, I had one laying around but I think I paid around $5 for it on ebay) I found this post on the pinouts documenting the connection of the 3 wires that needed to be connected to my Webasto harness. I could have soldered them to the OBD2 connector, but I decided to buy and modify a female OBD2 adapter off Amazon because I still use my adapter for my VWs and didn't want to mess it up.
  2. I downloaded and installed the Webasto Thermo Test software. (Having worked with VagCom software, my com port setting was already set properly, but I verified within the the software it was using the correct port).
  3. I disconnected my MultiController and connected the three wires from my OBD2 modified female connector.
  4. I fired up the software, connected to the unit, and congratulated myself on becoming Webasto's newest technician. Before tinkering, I actually did read of the software manual - fuel, air, combustion...
I realize that I am still blindly adjusting the Co2 settings, but If the pin hadn't been removed from my control unit and I had used the documented rotary control method for running leaner, I would have still been blindly making the change without an exhaust analyzer.

View attachment 59866 View attachment 59867 View attachment 59868
How were you able to hook up the VAG COM to the webasto unit? I have the software and I’ve selected the right com port and I have pin 7 to the blue multi control wire pin 16 to red and pin 4 to ground. However, nothing seems to happen when I start diagnosis. No errors either. I have also verified that I have the drivers for the chip. I was wondering if you had issues with connecting the vag com cable to the webasto harness at all. It’s a brand new cable that I bought off Amazon but I’m worried it might be broken or not standard. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts