Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my Webasto 2000 STC, and I am striking out on the altitude adjustment where I am to ground the brown wire coming from the #7 pin, set the rheostat to 12:00, etc. After a few failed attempts, I pulled out the wiring harness at the heater and have discovered what looks like the pin is missing from the #7 male connector on the control board at the heater.

I contacted Webasto's technical support and they said I would need to take it to a dealer and have it calibrated with their magical expensive machines. (They also said if I had the RV version and a Multicontrol I could set it to an altitude correction mode from the controller, but I don't have that altitude option on my Multicontrol so I don't think I got the RV model). So how would Webasto adjust the Co2 settings with this pin missing? What am I missing? Do they have a special harness they plug into the control board that makes contact lower?

I am very tempted to stick a paper clip/pin through the harness so that it makes contact with the board at the heater and ground it. The wiring diagram that came with the heater shows this pin going to a switch of some sort. Any Webasto experts out there? Yellow Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe this is how newer Webasto units are being manufactured - with the rotary adjustment disabled, so I thought I would share my workaround. This is what I did to make my Air Top 2000 STC (manufactured in late 2019 - Russian Market variety) run leaner at altitude. I am also now able to read/clear fault codes, troubleshoot my unit should it fail, and monitor the operating hours on my unit.
  1. I modified a VagCom 409.1 OBD2 adapter (As a VW owner, I had one laying around but I think I paid around $5 for it on ebay) I found this post on the pinouts documenting the connection of the 3 wires that needed to be connected to my Webasto harness. I could have soldered them to the OBD2 connector, but I decided to buy and modify a female OBD2 adapter off Amazon because I still use my adapter for my VWs and didn't want to mess it up.
  2. I downloaded and installed the Webasto Thermo Test software. (Having worked with VagCom software, my com port setting was already set properly, but I verified within the the software it was using the correct port).
  3. I disconnected my MultiController and connected the three wires from my OBD2 modified female connector.
  4. I fired up the software, connected to the unit, and congratulated myself on becoming Webasto's newest technician. Before tinkering, I actually did read of the software manual - fuel, air, combustion...
I realize that I am still blindly adjusting the Co2 settings, but If the pin hadn't been removed from my control unit and I had used the documented rotary control method for running leaner, I would have still been blindly making the change without an exhaust analyzer.

Electrical wiring Wire Cable Technology Electrical supply
Text Laptop Technology Electronic device Font
Text Font Technology

· Registered
186 Posts
I'm researching this for a new build... haven't ordered a heater yet. Did you actually have the basic old rotary heater control dial for the heater? I understand that the only one that will work is the old-style rheostat controller.

If you don't ave that, noting you do with the other one will likely work from my reading, unless you have the RV version, which is diesel-only, so if you are using this in a Promaster with the gas tank connection, it certainly isn't the RV version.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the gas version, and mine came with both the rotary and the Smart/Digital. Neither worked for the adjustment hack that is out there using the rotary controller. I bought the Russian-branded Webasto, so maybe this is why the normal rotary hack didn't work. At any rate, if I had to do it over again, I would go the Chinese knock-off route because of the outrageous price and altitude adjustment nonsense involved with Webastos. I somehow expected more from a German-engineered product; I wish I had read more about all of the troubles that folks have with Webasto.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have the gas version, and mine came with both the rotary and the Smart/Digital. Neither worked for the adjustment hack that is out there using the rotary controller. I bought the Russian-branded Webasto, so maybe this is why the normal rotary hack didn't work. At any rate, if I had to do it over again, I would go the Chinese knock-off route because of the outrageous price and altitude adjustment nonsense involved with Webastos. I somehow expected more from a German-engineered product; I wish I had read more about all of the troubles that folks have with Webasto.
Is there anyway to add the remote temp sensor with the software? They had removed the option on the newer ones.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably not with my unit. The issue with the unit I got, and the reason I couldn't do the altitude/rotary hack was because the control module inside the unit is missing most of the pinouts. The wiring harness has everything, but a closer inspection showed me that the only pinouts available from the control module are for the rotary dial and also a data line - which runs the Smart/Digital and gives you access to mess with the unit via their software. I would assume that the remote temp sensor would need a pinout? (Maybe this is just a Russian version issue, so take this with a grain of salt).

· Registered
186 Posts
I actually had sent them a query on just this issue/question a little while ago since I have seen some evidence that the newest model does not permit the elevation adjustment or the remote thermostat but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll report back if they respond.

· Registered
130 Posts
I’m stuck trying to do this adjustment as well. Newer model bought from uk. The calibration process doesn’t seem to work. Was told an hour at the dealer and they’ll do it. Ugh

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,350 Posts
I actually had sent them a query on just this issue/question a little while ago since I have seen some evidence that the newest model does not permit the elevation adjustment or the remote thermostat but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll report back if they respond.
Did they ever reply? You know the old saying: take the money, 30 minutes, city limits. They already know the gasoline model is not engineered to reliably adjust for altitude above 2000'. After much discussion, empirical vouching for operation above the limit, I believe Ms. Nomer has her doubts according to one of her recent posts.

This is important information to thwart others from wasting $1-3k for a piece of equipment that is clearly not engineered to operate reliably, efficiently (combustion efficiency) above 2k altitude. The manual warns you, the marketing materials do not.

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,350 Posts
Did they ever reply? You know the old saying: take the money, 30 minutes, city limits. They already know the gasoline model is not engineered to reliably adjust for altitude above 2000'. After much discussion, empirical vouching for operation above the limit, I believe Ms. Nomer has her doubts according to one of her recent posts.

This is important information to thwart others from wasting $1-3k for a piece of equipment that is clearly not engineered to operate reliably, efficiently (combustion efficiency) above 2k altitude. The manual warns you, the marketing materials do not.
Yes, I know I am replying to my own post.

Webasto owes me a refund for my original purchase for the US version and also another $1k or more for all the hassles we had to endure for their fraudulent marketing.

There is a reason why Webasto does not participate in this forumn or any other forums for that matter. They hide behind their dealer's false marketing and leave the buyer high and dry.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, I know that this post is a couple of years old now, but I am encountering the same problem and was wondering if any of you ever solved it, and how. My heater is also an stc from the Russian /European variety... And I live in Denver, 5280 feet above sea level so I'm afraid to run the thing at all till I adjust it. Any info would be super appreciated!

· Registered
130 Posts
I personally couldn’t get the self-calibration to work. A Webasto dealer could do the adjustment. The one nearest me wanted $130 which was a little high for me. I’ll keep looking.

· Registered
442 Posts
I just installed my Webasto 2000 STC, and I am striking out on the altitude adjustment where I am to ground the brown wire coming from the #7 pin, set the rheostat to 12:00, etc. After a few failed attempts, I pulled out the wiring harness at the heater and have discovered what looks like the pin is missing from the #7 male connector on the control board at the heater.

I contacted Webasto's technical support and they said I would need to take it to a dealer and have it calibrated with their magical expensive machines. (They also said if I had the RV version and a Multicontrol I could set it to an altitude correction mode from the controller, but I don't have that altitude option on my Multicontrol so I don't think I got the RV model). So how would Webasto adjust the Co2 settings with this pin missing? What am I missing? Do they have a special harness they plug into the control board that makes contact lower?

I am very tempted to stick a paper clip/pin through the harness so that it makes contact with the board at the heater and ground it. The wiring diagram that came with the heater shows this pin going to a switch of some sort. Any Webasto experts out there? View attachment 59735
I dont think this is the correct place to find the ground/brown wire. Mine is on a seperate pigtail with a 2 wire connector.

I just did the altitude adjust the other day.

· Registered
442 Posts
Hi guys, I know that this post is a couple of years old now, but I am encountering the same problem and was wondering if any of you ever solved it, and how. My heater is also an stc from the Russian /European variety... And I live in Denver, 5280 feet above sea level so I'm afraid to run the thing at all till I adjust it. Any info would be super appreciated!
Are you connecting to the correct wire?

Heres a decent video of the process:

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,350 Posts
I dont think this is the correct place to find the ground/brown wire. Mine is on a seperate pigtail with a 2 wire connector.

I just did the altitude adjust the other day.
But you really won't know if it ACTUALLY worked until you can check with a combustion analyzer or at the very least, a Digital CO Detector. When it loses power, will the unit revert back to the default altitude?
Maybe stop by a fire department and see if could "sniff" it with one of their high quality units?

· Registered
442 Posts
But you really won't know if it ACTUALLY worked until you can check with a combustion analyzer or at the very least, a Digital CO Detector. When it loses power, will the unit revert back to the default altitude?
Maybe stop by a fire department and see if could "sniff" it with one of their high quality units?
As far as I know, it will not revert back on its own. It has to be programmed back by doing the same procedure, but starting at 9 o’clock and moving to 12.

· Registered
17 Posts

Thank you for this! I have not actually done the adjustment yet because I need one more little part to connect the fuel line to the fuel nipple of the promaster ( the little rubber connectors that came with the webasto kit were too slender to fit over the barbs of the nipple). So that part will be done tomorrow, but I did look at the pins of the webasto harness and I'm missing the same one that the original poster here was missing... So I'm guessing my situation might be the same.
Anyway: thank you for this video, I will try it on Monday and will report then:))

· Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
153 Posts

Perfect timing, I just installed my heater today and was wondering how to do the adjust. The video says it all, thanks.
I hear the fuel pump clicking, has anyone tried to make it quieter?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts