Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, but I figure it's time to introduce myself. I am the proud owner of a slightly beat up 2015 PM 3500 ext gasser that I am in the process of converting.

My current project is installing my (gasoline) webasto air top 2000st furnace. I think a couple people on the forum have installed the same or similar? My issue is figuring out how to create a flat spot on the floor that the rubber gasket can seal against. Some ideas so far:

1. Don't bother, just get as good of a seal as I can and forget about it.
2. Use some fiberglass or similar epoxy resin to fill in between the ribs, sand flat, then install.
3. Glue a small piece of sheet steel down onto one of the floor ribs, seal around it with sikaflex, then mount the furnace on top of that.

What have other folks done? How important is the seal? I assume it is for preventing exhaust fumes from coming back into the van?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thanks RD. So that looks like the option (1) approach. I found a nice sturdy piece of sheet steel at home depot and glued it down with some sikaflex, centered on a rib. Hopefully that will provide a little extra protection just in case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The area around the exhaust gets very hot. I would be nervous with it directly contacting something flammable. Also, by installing it directly on the van floor there is less risk of exhaust gases leaking back into the van.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
There is. It is covered by a cap shown here at the end of the screwdriver, remove the clip and the cap comes off:

See that a 90º elbow is needed to get the hose you are going to use to go to the heater’s pump aimed sideways. I cut it from brass tubing and bought a short piece of fuel hose and two clamps to get to the size the Espar uses.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I believe the swivel won’t matter as nothing changes below the top of the seat base. I suggest you look below the floor very carefully to know where the air intake and hot exhaust will route in that area. It must be doable as curmudgeon did it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I paid a local heavy duty truck company to install my webasto 2000 under the passenger seat. It was $300 total. They also ran the high altitude procedure on it so it won't shut itself off when I'm at 9,000ft.

This location was not super easy. They had to remove the heat shield and catalytic converter to make the drill holes and route the exhaust pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a steal. I'm just about to buy a Webasto and install it myself but $300 sounds well worth it. Just any commercial truck mechanic?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I found a dealer through the Webasto website. I chose Heavy Duty trucks and Heating. There were 50 locations near Denver. I called up the one closest to my house and worked out a deal with him. They were hesitant to do it because it's not diesel but I explained to him that this should be a plug and play deal. The fuel port is right here, I want it located here, there really shouldn't be much of a difference between the gasoline and diesel one.

He told me they install these for trucking fleets all the time and the standard charge is $250 per install.

He said it took 6 hours for the tech to do. Seemed a bit on the heavy side to me but they did have to take the heat shield and catalytic converter off. Might get it a little cheaper if you choose an easier location. It also turned out to be really small under the seat so now I feel like I'm wasting a ton of space there... I'll figure that out later.

I think the warranty is only valid if installed by a dealer. Not 100% on that but mine came with a little warranty card that was to be signed by the shop.

https://www.webasto.com/us/dealerlocator/

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's awesome. I will give that same shop a call, hopefully the price won't be a ton more (sounds like they might have lost some money on it)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Update on how it functions there? Any idea how fuel line is routed to avoid heating by vehicle exhaust? Route of intake n exhaust? It seems way more of a tight fit with the front wheel drive than Sprinter. I like that the intake uses cabin air where it's coldest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Easy installation plate for webasto

While contemplating installing the Webasto 2000ST, I stumbled across a truck shop video of an installation using a very interesting installation plate specifically for installing through a wood floor over ribbed metal. I found the plate available on eBay for about $30. It consist of around a 6 by 7 inch metal plate with the appropriate holes for webasto and similar heaters. On the bottom of the plate is attached a 5 inch tube about 1.5 inches long. You just drill/cut a 5 inch hole through the wood and metal floor, then drop in the plate assembly, attach it with screws from the top, then seal it up with high temp sealant from the bottom. Now can easily bolt in the heater. This really simplified the installation for me and kept the high temps from the wood. If search on eBay for "webasto floor mount plate 190246" should find it or this link might work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eberspacher...684491?hash=item43d0ab1f8b:g:tCYAAOxy63FS1qIO
I have no affiliation with the seller, but it worked well for me and they shipped quickly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks dmsdms2000. Some pics from underneath would be awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found a dealer through the Webasto website. I chose Heavy Duty trucks and Heating. There were 50 locations near Denver. I called up the one closest to my house and worked out a deal with him. They were hesitant to do it because it's not diesel but I explained to him that this should be a plug and play deal. The fuel port is right here, I want it located here, there really shouldn't be much of a difference between the gasoline and diesel one.

He told me they install these for trucking fleets all the time and the standard charge is $250 per install.

He said it took 6 hours for the tech to do. Seemed a bit on the heavy side to me but they did have to take the heat shield and catalytic converter off. Might get it a little cheaper if you choose an easier location. It also turned out to be really small under the seat so now I feel like I'm wasting a ton of space there... I'll figure that out later.

I think the warranty is only valid if installed by a dealer. Not 100% on that but mine came with a little warranty card that was to be signed by the shop.

https://www.webasto.com/us/dealerlocator/
Klunytoons, and chance you can provide me with the shops name. Figure it will be easier for me and then if I just use the same shop. I'm up in Winter Park so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks a ton,
Andy

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used Rush Truck Center.

If you buy it from Ebay, it's likely the european version (STC model) which they technically don't support. If I were to do it again, I'd buy it from a dealer in the US (ST model).

I haven't looked into the prices but it makes it much easier on the back end for technical support when you have a question. There's quite a few differences between the two.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts