Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Promaster 2500, 159 Full Height!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Webasto 2000 STC in the mail (DHL) from heaters4you today! Super easy ordering process, everything was very smooth.
Now the all important mounting location question has come up. My original idea was to mount the heating unit directly behind the drivers seat on the floor of the cargo area. Maybe about 1" back from the step down. But having creeped around under the van and done some more looking I'm debating whether this is possible or prudent. It appears there might be clear area to route the piping through. Nut there also might be some interference from a cross member underneath the van. Also this location appears to be pretty close to the carbon canister. I still do very much like this location though.
While doing some research I came across the technical manual on doing marine installation of a 2000STC. Basically the whole unit mounts on a L bracket and the piping etc is router externally. Has anyone done this in a van. I suspecting a very short run of hoses inside the van in my case to sneak through the gap between the structural member on the bottom and the step wall of the van cab. All of hosing would be enclosed in a box of some sort, and a CO2 detector will be installed.

Or should I just put it under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,081 Posts
Dave, Carrie, and Roodle put one in under the passenger seat:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I looked at putting an Espar in right behind the driver's seat. I know people have done this, so it can be done successfully. However, you have to look at it very carefully because there is a floor beam in the area and it will severely restrict where you can viably put it, as you have found.

In my case, my heater is a larger model and there wasn't enough room to fit it where I wanted it in that location.

If you still have the van floor exposed, most of this is pretty easy to figure out because the spot welds of the structure below are visible on the top, so you can get a pretty precise layout of the space and determine whether it will fit.

I think I saw a post on here within the last 6 months of someone putting it in this location (with photos). It is worth doing a bit of searching on here to find it I think.

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
113 Posts
I got my Webasto 2000 STC in the mail (DHL) from heaters4you today! Super easy ordering process, everything was very smooth.
Now the all important mounting location question has come up. My original idea was to mount the heating unit directly behind the drivers seat on the floor of the cargo area. Maybe about 1" back from the step down. But having creeped around under the van and done some more looking I'm debating whether this is possible or prudent. It appears there might be clear area to route the piping through. Nut there also might be some interference from a cross member underneath the van. Also this location appears to be pretty close to the carbon canister. I still do very much like this location though.
While doing some research I came across the technical manual on doing marine installation of a 2000STC. Basically the whole unit mounts on a L bracket and the piping etc is router externally. Has anyone done this in a van. I suspecting a very short run of hoses inside the van in my case to sneak through the gap between the structural member on the bottom and the step wall of the van cab. All of hosing would be enclosed in a box of some sort, and a CO2 detector will be installed.

Or should I just put it under the passenger seat?
This is how I did it behind the driver seat. 20201030_174914.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not webasto, but you get the idea. I had to drill additional holes in the mounting plate since the cubby below isn’t quite big enough. Spacers between floor ribs approx .32 inches. Turret plate, and lots of high temp silicone!

5.5L tank is under the hood similar to phil's setup, except I bent a long piece of aluminum into a "Z" and bolted it into the existing threaded hole near the ground connection, then basically bungeed the tank to that.

my opinion on the posts above:

1. don't drill individual holes, cut a massive 5" hole and buy a turret plate. Or cut a square and use the provided plate. I tried the individual holes thing and it was a PITA.

2. this is is fiercely debated, but i think most agree to put the exhaust directly through the floor.

3. lastly, make sure your drain hole is oriented correctly on your muffler - or you will get soot buildup.

I installed this sucker 3 times till it was right, happy to provide more detail if you need it

Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can put a webasto (or even the chinese knockoffs, but it's tight and the 2KW works better than the larger 15" 8kw versions) under the passenger front seat, along the right side. Cut out the foam and go to town. perfect spot, easy access to the fuel tap or an aux diesel can under the hood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can put a webasto (or even the chinese knockoffs, but it's tight and the 2KW works better than the larger 15" 8kw versions) under the passenger front seat, along the right side. Cut out the foam and go to town. perfect spot, easy access to the fuel tap or an aux diesel can under the hood.
I'm finally getting to the nitty gritty of the install..when you say "front seat, along the right side" are you doing this facing the front of the van and are you doing the mount front to back or across?
I guess I'll also found out this Friday!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm finally getting to the nitty gritty of the install..when you say "front seat, along the right side" are you doing this facing the front of the van and are you doing the mount front to back or across?
I would go underneath the van and see for yourself. Try to find a reference point back to the inside of the van... you want to make sure you have plenty of room to service this thing, pop the cover off without unmounting it, etc. Give yourself more room than you think to get the mounting plate on there nice and solid. You'll have to relocate the tire change kit, and I'm pretty sure you'll be working around existing vehicle parts that sit directly in that spot on the bottom of that van (can't remember of the top of my head)

FWIW, most times I've seen that done its been at an angle/diagonal under the seat..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Success, it only took about 8 hours today start to finish. Looks pretty good. Will send pictures and notes later!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know it's too late for you, but I mean the starboard side of the front passenger seat - with heater oriented front/back, blowing heat toward the back of vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know it's too late for you, but I mean the starboard side of the front passenger seat - with heater oriented front/back, blowing heat toward the back of vehicle.
It actually was not and this location is great! Just wish I had done it 1-2 CM more inboard of the outboard most humps in the flooring mat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Follow up question. I have a STC (b) petrol (RU sourced) and I'm looking to install the temperature sensor...so I dutifully start looking for the resistor to cut out and splice in the temp sensor, And I can't find it. I suspect it should be close to the heater side of wire..as I can't feel anything that feels even like a bulge on the multi-controller side. Where could it be? What I do find by the heater is a cluster of wires in the wiring loom that looks like the picture below. Just to be clear I didn't cut any wires. This is how I found it after undoing the wiring harness tape. Could the temp sensor splice point be the white and black ones or some combination the red, white, blue or blue.
I reviewed the workshop manual and many websites (Ms Nomer/Farout Ride etc) but at this point I'm just confused.

I suspect from the correct wires might be no here! and that I need to populate plug ports 8 and 9 but well that seems weird..because in all the diagrams there is s a resistor.

UPDATE:
This model of Webasto 2000 STC (B) petrol..doesn't support the external temperature sensor! Doh!
Got the word from 2 sources.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts