Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not familiar but thanks for bringing to attention.

I was considering a similar concept using vantech feet to connect to unistrut for the longitudinal rail from which transverse rails could be attached.

After looking at the Weatherguard rail install instructions, they portray the Promaster roof cleats to be rotatable (see attached image), I didn't know that. Helpful to know while considering attachment options.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking at the Weatherguard rail install instructions, they portray the Promaster roof cleats to be rotatable (see attached image), I didn't know that. Helpful to know while considering attachment options.
I didn't know that either. I hadn't looked closely enough at the install instructions to notice. I checked on my van, and indeed they do rotate (at least 90 deg), although it takes a fair bit of force, and without something protecting the cleat you're apt to damage the paint. I think it only rotates though - I was hoping this was actually a bolt, but it doesn't appear to be - the replacement part is a single unit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weather Guard rails - initial review

I decided to order a pair for my 159" high roof. I'm looking to install at least two large solar panels, and looked at the Vantech rack mounts, but I want the flexibility to anchor the panels anywhere on the roof, not just at the stock locations.

So far, I'm not terribly impressed. The rails attach to the roof pins, and require each pin to be rotated 90 deg, then rotated back. They do rotate, but making them rotate without damaging the paint is a challenge, even using soft-jaw pliers.

The rails rest on the raised roof metal, where I expected them to sit in the channel. So they're higher profile and don't seem as well supported as if they were in the channel for the entire length. I'm currently thinking I'll get some paint protector vinyl, and lay it down under the rails before installing them, but they should still be usable for my purposes. Suggestions welcome!

Anyway, it's not too urgent, I've got a lot of work to do on the electrical system before needing to install solar panels.

The way that the channels bolt to the roof pins is interesting and not what I expected from the instructions.

Also the rails are not quite tall enough to lay panels directly across. I'll need spacers to raise the panels high enough.

They also don't run the full length of the van. On the 159" the last roof pin is not attached to the rails, but I will have a fan back there, so no current need for rails.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I decided to order a pair for my 159" high roof. I'm looking to install at least two large solar panels, and looked at the Vantech rack mounts, but I want the flexibility to anchor the panels anywhere on the roof, not just at the stock locations.

So far, I'm not terribly impressed. The rails attach to the roof pins, and require each pin to be rotated 90 deg, then rotated back. They do rotate, but making them rotate without damaging the paint is a challenge, even using soft-jaw pliers.

The rails rest on the raised roof metal, where I expected them to sit in the channel. So they're higher profile and don't seem as well supported as if they were in the channel for the entire length. I'm currently thinking I'll get some paint protector vinyl, and lay it down under the rails before installing them, but they should still be usable for my purposes. Suggestions welcome!

Anyway, it's not too urgent, I've got a lot of work to do on the electrical system before needing to install solar panels.

The way that the channels bolt to the roof pins is interesting and not what I expected from the instructions.

Also the rails are not quite tall enough to lay panels directly across. I'll need spacers to raise the panels high enough.

They also don't run the full length of the van. On the 159" the last roof pin is not attached to the rails, but I will have a fan back there, so no current need for rails.
dttocs:

I already have the Vantech H3 roof rack system with 3 crossbars. I also have a need to mount crossbars in locations other than the standard roof mounting points. I am looking at this Weather Guard Channel as a way to possibly do that. Weather Guard won't give me any specific advice since I would not be using their roof rack system, just the mounting channel that you have. Vantech does not make a similar channel but they do have a slider which could potentially slide into the Weather Guard Channel and give me a mounting point at any point along the channel.

http://vantech.us/S054-Double-Slider-5-16-Thread-3-4-Long-Bolt-4-b-b-S054.htm

So Questions:

1. The Vantech slider is 1 inch wide and about 3/16" thick including the bolt head. The bolt threads are 5/16" X 3/4" and 4" apart center to center. In your opinion, will this slider fit into the weather Guard Channel?

2. Since I have a 159" EXT, the Weather Guard Channel will not reach to the rear mounting cleat on the Promaster. So I will use the fixed Vantech mount there. The top of the Vantech Fixed mount is about 3/4" above the roof. You indicated that the Weather Guard Channel was higher than you liked. So how high above the roof at the cleat location is the top of the Weather Guard channel? I would like all 3 of my crossbars to be at about the same height above the roof.

Any other issues you can think of that would make this unworkable?

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. The Vantech slider is 1 inch wide and about 3/16" thick including the bolt head. The bolt threads are 5/16" X 3/4" and 4" apart center to center. In your opinion, will this slider fit into the weather Guard Channel?
Interior dimensions of the channel are ~5/8" opening, 1 5/16" inner width, 7/16" height. I can't tell from the Vantech page what the dimensions of the slider are, but it looks like it should fit. Might be a bit narrow for the wider Weather Guard channel, but it looks wider than 5/8"

2. Since I have a 159" EXT, the Weather Guard Channel will not reach to the rear mounting cleat on the Promaster. So I will use the fixed Vantech mount there. The top of the Vantech Fixed mount is about 3/4" above the roof. You indicated that the Weather Guard Channel was higher than you liked. So how high above the roof at the cleat location is the top of the Weather Guard channel? I would like all 3 of my crossbars to be at about the same height above the roof.
I don't have the depth change of the roof at the cleat indentation, but the channel is just over 3/4" high. Add the depth change at the cleat indentation to get your total height, but it will be more than 3/4".

Other than that, I don't see any obvious problems with your plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts