Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this but has anyone else noticed water inside the frame channels when reaching into these from the inside of the van?

Not sure if that makes sense but I have some pooling inside the vehicle. Can't be normal?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Vancouver BC Canada.. there way about a 1/4" of water in there..it is my first van as well..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm referring to the bottom ones that extend just below the floor.

I will be going by the dealer sometime soon and will post the results.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm I actually haven't checked for water in the rocker panels again. It's been raining a bit here and I should probably check. All that was done was some silicone around the cab lights.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you have the rooftop marker lights? They are a known point of leaking in rain - there is supposed to be a recall in progress but I haven't seen any follow-up yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
On many if not most new vans there is a plastic trim molding a few inches high along the outside low down. This is for appearance and protection from car doors being opened in parking lots. The trim is attached to plastic "clips" that are pushed through holes in the sheet metal. Rain runs down the body side behind the plastic trim strip and will come through into the van. Looking inside some vans when built actually have a waxy protective material applied just below each attachment clip hole after the interior in painted. The water is intended to drain into and collect in the "trough" at the bottom. This area has at least one drain hole usually at the back end. This hole must be kept open. Is the van normally parked outside on a slope with the drain hole up-hill? Not good! If you drill additional drain holes be sure to rust proof the metal.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hmm I actually haven't checked for water in the rocker panels again. It's been raining a bit here and I should probably check. All that was done was some silicone around the cab lights.
Not sure what you mean by "rocker panels"? I happened to take off the last plastic cover, the ones that run along the bottom of each sidewall, on the driver side. Was curious how much space was in there for wiring ect. Mine was a little damp which surprised me.

On many if not most new vans there is a plastic trim molding a few inches high along the outside low down. This is for appearance and protection from car doors being opened in parking lots. The trim is attached to plastic "clips" that are pushed through holes in the sheet metal. Rain runs down the body side behind the plastic trim strip and will come through into the van. Looking inside some vans when built actually have a waxy protective material applied just below each attachment clip hole after the interior in painted. The water is intended to drain into and collect in the "trough" at the bottom. This area has at least one drain hole usually at the back end. This hole must be kept open. Is the van normally parked outside on a slope with the drain hole up-hill? Not good! If you drill additional drain holes be sure to rust proof the metal.
Good thoughts here. I think that explains the dampness I found. I didn't have time to explore it further but will get back in there with a flashlite and mirror and look some more. I park slightly "nose-down" so your comment on additional drain holes may be important. Will post more when I figure something out...

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I checked mine below the triangles. I found very slightly damp silt. Bear in mind that although the can is new to me, it was built October 2013 and sat on the dealer' slot for nearly a year.

As a result of this discussion, I have decided to maintain access to these triangles in my build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts