Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned about water (rain) coming in the doors and going under the wood floor. Has anyone had this problem or addressed the possibility?

Last week I was in and out of the van during a light rain. The van is parked pointed slightly uphill. Later I found a pool of water in front of the passenger wheel well. I was glad I didn't have a floor yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have water proofed my floor with bed Liner that I got at autozone. It was some strong smell even with VOC mask. Took about 3 days for it to be tolerable to drive with the windows up. I think I would get someone to spray next time with bed liner. I have wetsuits and surfboards and they soak a wood floor . I intend to epoxy the wood floor then put a floorcovering over that I have seen my friends vans rot as a result of their not waterproofing.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I'm concerned about water (rain) coming in the doors and going under the wood floor. Has anyone had this problem or addressed the possibility?

Last week I was in and out of the van during a light rain. The van is parked pointed slightly uphill. Later I found a pool of water in front of the passenger wheel well. I was glad I didn't have a floor yet.
I think we are going to have to deal with this by sealing the edge of the floor system at the door openings. Unfortunately that will also trap any water that gets under the floor with no escape and no ventilation. I have no intention of filling the channels of the ribbed floor but I had expected that space to also allow some ventilation to dry it out. Now I am thinking some overlaping edge like roof drip edge that prevents water getting under there and hopefully lets air vent the ribs. Dunno?

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying water came in thru your sliding door and puddled in the front wheel well or thru your front windows?

I have the factory floor in my Promaster and I've never found any water inside from any source, including leaving the sliding door open for a short time or even the front windows down in a rain storm. I know some people have had water leaks thru their clearance lights that were improperly sealed but otherwise, I can't really see a whole lot of water coming in because of entering or exiting the sliding door in a rain storm. Perhaps from another source?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a steady heavy drizzle. We were constantly between van and shop, so we left the side door open. A puddle collected in front of the passenger wheel well. Given the slant of the vehicle, this was the logical place for the puddle from the door to settle.

I can see blocking off the door edge, but the rear presents a problem. Block that and I seal up the whole floor, undoubtedly imperfectly.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
I would think this is an isolated experience, compounded by being parked on an incline. Typically, I would imagine, you would only open and close the sliding door to get in or out after your conversion is completed.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Park it on an up-ramp somewhere (nose up) if there is water under the floor.
And when it is raining shut the doors?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think we are going to have to deal with this by sealing the edge of the floor system at the door openings. Unfortunately that will also trap any water that gets under the floor with no escape and no ventilation. I have no intention of filling the channels of the ribbed floor but I had expected that space to also allow some ventilation to dry it out. Now I am thinking some overlaping edge like roof drip edge that prevents water getting under there and hopefully lets air vent the ribs. Dunno?
I think that sounds like a good way to do it. Let us know what you come up with. Also maybe leave it it leaky along the walls so it could dry out thru there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts