Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have this freshwater tank I ordered a while back (see image). I'm baffled how to hook up fittings so I can fill and draw from it completely.

My question is on the placement of the fittings. Most tanks I see have fittings at the VERY top corners of the tank (second photo), and the tank is often molded with corner recesses (see last picture) so that the maximum amount of water can be filled/drawn from the tank.

On this one, the fittings are quite far from the top/bottom of the tank.

FILLING: I'd use the larger top fill hole, and the top vent. As long as the fill is vertically above the height of the tank, it should fill completely; correct?

DRAWING WATER: I would use the larger hole at the bottom. However, without any slope in the tank, won't an inch of water sit at the bottom of the tank? Plus, the opening is so large; once it got to 1/2" down the height of that fitting, I think the pump would start sucking air. I can use the smaller bottom fitting as the draw, but the same problem persists, and then I wouldn't have a drain.

Am I being silly or missing something? This tank seems robust and well built, and it's made by a reputable company. There must be a way to make this work WITHOUT adding additional fittings?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
Where are you putting the tank?
Mounting it transverse or longitudinally?
Can you use the natural slope of the van to your advantage?
Build a false floor with a slope.

or don't worry about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you putting the tank?
Mounting it transverse or longitudinally?
Can you use the natural slope of the van to your advantage?
Build a false floor with a slope.

or don't worry about it.
The bottom of the tank will be where my knees are. The top will not have fittings. One end will have the fittings mentioned, and it'll be sitting so that the sticker on the tank is the top of one side. I think that's longitudinally? It'll be mounted like a long rectangle. Apologies for the non-technical speak. I would consider this the 'standard' mounting; I'm not rotating it nor placing it on end. Let me know if this makes sense.

I've thought about making a false floor, but it seems a bit less sturdy. I'm more wondering these two things:

1. Is this a ridiculous tank? Has anyone else dealt with this kind of tank before, and realized it's not possible to empty the contents fully?

2. Am I overthinking how much water will be left? 1"*2D area of the tank seems like quite a bit of water..

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
With 1 inch of water left inside it will be .7 / 1 / 2 gallons depending on how it originated, I personally would not worry about it.

As someone says, your overthinking it, install it and move on to the next project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts