Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before. My rocker panels are damp after every rain. Took it dealer for back door latches and mentioned something about it. The mechanic said he couldn't reproduce the defect so when I picked it up I pored a bottle of water through little inspection plates and watched it run out on ground. I told them that if it can get out it can get in.
Then I got in van and drove off. Have placed a call to Fca.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
KB9LNC All vehicles have an exit system to let water out. If no water came out then there is a problem.
Same with air filter systems. They have a seeping system ( water out but no water in).
So something is wrong with this system. I will have a look at my van to see how this works. Have not paid to
much attention to this. Will get back to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water leak

The biggest thing that bothers me about it is where it exits at right behind the rear tire in wheel well. I do realize that if there were no drains that it would collect and rust out.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Don’t try to stop the water exiting along the bottom of the rocker panels, bottom of the doors or any place along the lower body as that is what is supposed to happen. Closing those drains will leave water in the rockers with the result of future rust and mold and other nasty things. As for the water getting in..... that should not happen unless moisture condenses on the inside of the van’s surface and runs down to the drains which is normal and not a problem. Other water getting in along the drip rails or attachments or door and window openings needs to be discovered and eliminated. Get a hose and ladder and methodically search for the entry point. Perhaps cracks in the caulking between panels?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
OK I checked it out and there are about 10 body plugs on each side and one drain(per side), but none behind the rear wheel.
Only a square hole. Do you have mud flaps? if not try them. Keeps the spray from forcing the water in the square hole in rainy
conditions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaks

I did the body plug thing pulled them all and flushed out rocker panels and rear of wheel wells. Left them out and let it all air dry. I see mud flaps in the future. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't want to sound like an idiot but , this is the water planet . H2O is going to go EVERYWHERE . So manufactures build drains in everywhere .
Lucky for you the water is going where it's supposed to . But maybe you do have a problem . The bodyside cladding pins may not have their little gaskets ?, maybe a gap not sealed ? On my PM there were bolt holes in the rear door body frames x tailights that were open to the inside . No water intrusion that I know (water planet) but filled them with spare Ford Transit Connect bolts to keep creepy crawlers out .
The drain plugs in the rockers fit loosely to allow drainage and minimize water intrusion . When I put the we-we hour lights in some of those holes I took the risk of plugging 50% of the drainage .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't want to sound like an idiot but , this is the water planet . H2O is going to go EVERYWHERE . So manufactures build drains in everywhere .
Lucky for you the water is going where it's supposed to . But maybe you do have a problem . The bodyside cladding pins may not have their little gaskets ?, maybe a gap not sealed ? On my PM there were bolt holes in the rear door body frames x tailights that were open to the inside . No water intrusion that I know (water planet) but filled them with spare Ford Transit Connect bolts to keep creepy crawlers out .
The drain plugs in the rockers fit loosely to allow drainage and minimize water intrusion . When I put the we-we hour lights in some of those holes I took the risk of plugging 50% of the drainage .
If that was the case here the drain would be directly behind the tires. Getting blasted by road spray. More likely it was an oversight as opposed to a drain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts