Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted about my flex plate issue. But i also wanted to start another thread about water leaks. It rains in Vegas from time to time and about a month back we got dumped on. I jump into my van and there was water dripping from my ceiling and onto my dash.

Turns out the rain was getting in from the overhead roof lights On the exterior roof. Some were not sealed properly. Also the interior roof panel was soaked. Luckily the dealer fixed the leak by replacing all the light seals and siliconed them as well as replaced my roof liner for free.

They also fixed my flex plate Issue all at once. Im not upset...but just shocked that my brand new van is having some random issues already...I am a bit worried that this van is going to give me more issues In the future. I still love the van...the size, the cost, the style, etc...but not ready to take it to the shop so soon or so often.

The dealer has been great...but wow. I dont think Ive ever owned a vehicle that leak water. smh.

Anyone else have this issue??

·
Registered
601 Posts
The leaking lights have been mentioned quite a few times on here.

Some had dealers fix, some did it ourselves...

It's a very small little seal on each lamp. Cheap and cheesy. Ram could have done things better...

·
Registered
145 Posts
If its any consolation, my previous van a 2008 Sprinter, had multiple issues way before it even hit 30k miles. I've never had to replace three sets of glow plugs, one driveshaft, one ECU, two crank position sensors, one camshaft sensor, one windshield washer bottle on any other vehicle in such a short mileage. Even the Sprinters leaked with the rooftop a/c systems on them. Is it to be expected? Absolutely not. These companies design their products and get them to the market place in a rush. it's probably cheaper to fix the existing issues rather than do a redesign until the next cycle.

...Oh, and a differential seal, transmission control module, and a torque converter. ****, I miss that van! LOL

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ive never owned a sprinter, but it took about 5 minutes of research to learn they were problematic overpriced nightmares. I figure i could buy 3 pms for the same money as one sprinter and the maintenance costs.

I have owned 2 benz cars. Problematic overpriced junk.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Yes Jeopardy question why?
If leaking why not take them off and see why they are leaking. Dirty,loose or crack gasket maybe.
Mine do not leak and never has.

Why Why???:eek::)

·
Registered
810 Posts
The mechanic at my dealer tild me when i asked him... said... he cleaned up around the gasket and put on some Mopar sealant around the existing light fixtures and gaskets.
;Been thru several gully washers sunce and have not leaked.

Knock wood
good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why are you having them replaced? Are they actually leaking?
You can see in the previous attached thumbnail a little improvised hot tub in one of the lights. The other has condensation. It's a recognized problem and can eventually leak in the cab. And I have a house in the van, so I'm extra careful with water ingress issues! Eventally looking to replace them with more robust LED clearance lights like the Roadtrek custom made ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
One month in with my 2014 promaster 1500 same problem. Dealer got me in for a fix next week, but the inside cab light is full of water. And I can't get the light cover off to get the water out....anyone know how to get it open?

·
Registered
6 Posts
First big rain since the exterior cab lights were changed by the dealer. Water was running in again along the interior of the cab lining along the roof in the front. I pulled down the liner and saw water dripping from the screw holes for the lights, not the actual hole for the lights. Today I decided to try the fix I've heard folks do on here. I unscrewed the lights from the roof, cleaned the roof well around the lights. Put a bead of silicone around the lights and a bit more on or around the screw holes. Not we wait to see if this solves the problem. I appreciate you guys having this forum to share ideas and helping folks problem solving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts