Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad enough that some water out the front of the console and down the inside of the windshield. I also had a little drip at the interior light.

It was raining pretty hard all night last night.. first rain for a while.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Probably came in around the running lights on top, I had my liner up there out when I was insulating & installing roof panels and they`re very cheesy. The wiring for them is just hanging and the lights "rock" back & forth on the sealing gasket, one of mine is filled with water, hopefully someone comes up with an aesthetically pleasing way to eliminate them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Probably came in around the running lights on top, I had my liner up there out when I was insulating & installing roof panels and they`re very cheesy. The wiring for them is just hanging and the lights "rock" back & forth on the sealing gasket, one of mine is filled with water, hopefully someone comes up with an aesthetically pleasing way to eliminate them.
Can't legally eliminate them in the US...Federally mandated due to the width of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Why do the Sprinters not have them? Perhaps the ProMaster is an inch wider?
I kind of like the clearance lights, however not the potential issues with them.
I would say 8 inches wider if not more. The Sprinter slope inward starting from
the floor. If I recall at the 6 foot level the measurement from the floor.
Can't remember where I got this measurement from???

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why do the Sprinters not have them? Perhaps the ProMaster is an inch wider?
I kind of like the clearance lights, however not the potential issues with them.
The Sprinter is not as wide as the Promaster. This width regulation has always baffled me, why isn't the height the determining factor? My old dually had them too and it wasn't even close to the height of my Promaster. It was over 80" wide though which I think is the Federal spec.

For the record I've driven through some really hard rain and have not had any leaks. I'll be sure and watch for it now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Can't legally eliminate them in the US...Federally mandated due to the width of the vehicle.
True, but the same CFRs also regulate tail lights, yet the police let people do all kinds of dumb stuff making them illegal. Half the aftermarket crap sold is illegal and nobody has the knowledge to know it. Only the OEMs follow the law.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The PM is about 82.7 inch, >80 inch, so the running lights are required.

It would of been nice if they integrated running lights into the front windshield, so as to avoid penetrating the sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
It is not hard to see how water could infiltrate:

It seams to me that the plastic light cover should lie on a gasket. Design error or missing part?

My camp host, who used to be a truck driver, thinks the same. Also, he thinks that they are fairly standard lights and gaskets should be available.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's something under there for a gasket but it should be beefed up a little. Hopefully I'll get a good response from the dealer on Monday when I take it in.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Pro3500,

Think of it another way. Toyota, Chrysler, and others have all created new departments to review, decide, and implement recalls.

Removing the responsibility from Engineering. Engineering often avoided recalls to cover their own asses.

This is because of what happened to GM. We're going to see a lot more recalls from every manufacture going forward. This is a good thing!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think of it this way. It leaks water into the electrical system in at least 3 different areas. I don't mind call backs and would rather have them than not. However there seems to be numerous little things and I've only had it for 6 months. I'm really concerned about the long term on it. This will have a 100,000 on it by jan or feb 2015. I feel after that my wallet will start to get thin.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well, after a mild storm last nigh, when I accelerated out of my driveway this morning,
About 2 cups of water flowed out of my dome light buttons and lenses.
Then when I hit rhe brakes, it came foward and ran down the inside of the windshield into the dash.
Alot of water... it didnt accumulate in the tray though.
Ive got a dealer appointment for friday to discuss and test.
Ill be sure to show them this thread and the recall notice..
Bad news.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Got mine back this afternoon. They (service writer Glendale Dodge, St Louis Meteo area) wouldnt show me the report.
She said, the 'rain doctor' said the marker lights werw leaking. Said that he removed all the light fixtures, got Chrysler tube sealant and re-sealed, then replaced.
Lets see if it holds up for the next 3 years.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts