Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original post is in the diesel section, but I thought that it's worth everyone knowing. After receiving some great advice and links from other forum members (thank you) it appears water leaking into the engine compartment is quite common on Promaster/Fiat. On mine, water is getting in and onto the belts causing a belt squeal. According to some postings alternators have seized and electrical parts have rusted out. The problem, according to other sites, is a loose fitting cowl at the base of the windshield. I water tested mine and sure enough water pours in. Here's a quick video and photo from mine. I think it's worth water testing yours.

https://youtu.be/VfUMImMWdZI

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Fixed? What do you plan to do to get it to stop? I had my windshield replaced and they pulled all that off and replaced it later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took pictures of the areas that leak, the center of the windshield cowl at the seam and on the sides where the hood closes onto the body. I then called customer assistance ( 800-763-8422) to report the problem. I got a case number and they called me after receiving the pictures. I was on a trip last week when they called. I will be talking to them next week. I took it in to the dealer and they verified it leaks and their ProMaster parts truck did the same thing. They just said that it is normal at this time. When I got that info, that's when I decided to call customer assistance.
When it leaks from the center seam, it will leak on a bracket and onto my battery isolater for the motor home battery.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
When I went out to check whether I have this leak, I found the coolant level halfway between MIN and empty. Last inspected (and marked OK) by the dealer almost exactly 1,000 miles ago.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I took pictures of the areas that leak, the center of the windshield cowl at the seam and on the sides where the hood closes onto the body. I then called customer assistance ( 800-763-8422) to report the problem. I got a case number and they called me after receiving the pictures. I was on a trip last week when they called. I will be talking to them next week. I took it in to the dealer and they verified it leaks and their ProMaster parts truck did the same thing. They just said that it is normal at this time. When I got that info, that's when I decided to call customer assistance.
When it leaks from the center seam, it will leak on a bracket and onto my battery isolater for the motor home battery.
I watched as Safelite replaced my windshield and they have to remove that plastic shroud. There is no weatherstrip or any apparent way for it to stop water except that it fits sort of close to the windshield, usually. When it is replaced no adhesive or waterproofing goes behind it as far as I can see. My conclusion is: Water is going to flow behind it, a little, or a lot. Whether it can be sealed with something like plastic trim adhesive or not is the question that comes to mind. Unless others find out differently I think it is a place water gets to enter sort of like the doors through the window seal.
We may have to protect the stuff below with covers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I contacted Chrysler after my dealer told me my belt squeal is normal because I live in s high humidity area. Chrysler gave me a case number and rep will call next week. Once it's replaced I think I'm going to try to deal the top edge with PVC tape as many in Europe have done with pretty good results. They say the tape lasts about a year before it needs replacing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put Gorilla tape on the windshield cowl seam where the two halves meet. In the hot California sun it became a gooey mess and I took it off. Just waiting now to see what FCA says about it the leak.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Actually I think that is the wrong product and is intended to be compressed between a flange and the body and held in compression. I was thinking more in the line of the silicone based adhesive body shops use to reattach molding on vehicles when the clips are broken off. You need to apply it and compress the part in place some and wait (overnight), I use masking tape to hold the parts together. In the morning it is HITCHED.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Bla..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=8RCYN5WB295NYVCF4H8M

I have used it for about 20 years and though the package looks different I think this is it. You will not be removing anything it attaches except with a mat knife or similar, which in the case of that trim, the windshield installers have with them!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RDinNHandAZ, thank you for the product recommendation! As soon as I have the cowls replaced I will be applying the product you recommended.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
You are a brave soul! I think you will be a convert. Hold everything together and park in a safe place overnight. Let us know if my suggestion doesn’t prove satisfactory!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 Dodge Promaster 3500 serpentine belt just broke. I believe it to be from water leaking into engine compartment and then freezing on the belt. Lots of smoke and acted like a dead battery when I tried to start the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts