Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a water leak from the front of both rear wheel wells onto the floor of the cargo area and into the rocker panels. This appears to be a difficult problem to solve since I have made 4 trips to get it fixed. Two trips to the dealer and then two referrals to an auto body shop.

The leaks inside the cargo area were from seams in the sheet metal. On the right side the seam was just above the floor on front surface of the wheel well. On left side the leak was from the side panel seam where there is a small gap (seems to be meant to be there). The dealer said it was also leaking from the junction of the wheel well and the side wall.

When the above areas were sealed the leaks continued in both rocker panels, left worse than right. You could even see fine sand and grit in there at the junction of the rocker panel and the wheel well. After the second trip to the auto body shop the leak did not occur on one road test in moderate to heavy rain. I will road test again as soon as we get more rain.

I want to convert this to a camper van so I don't want sources of humidity and corrosion inside. I suppose it would be ok to have a little water in a work van but this is a deal breaker for my purpose.

I would like to ask a favor of owners/ users. Could you remove the cargo area hole covers for the rocker panels and use a flashlight to see if there is moisture or evidence that water has been moving around in there. It could leave drip marks or such due to residual dust or dirt in there.

Thanks and Happy Trails

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've noticed water since day one on the drivers side. Thought it was condensation and didn't investigate it... it's probably a leak though. My cab lights bad at one point as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds like a serious problem in areas that use salt, mag chloride, etc on their roads. Those seams are typically not painted or coated and are prone to rusting. Before I buy a PM, that will be the first thing I will inspect before handing over any money. Pics would be helpful. Thanks for bringing this flaw to our attention.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also wondering if your van is also missing some spot welds....gaps just don't sound right, dunno with out looking.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
When I was at my dealer a few months back, the service writer asked if I had any leaks near the wheel wells in the back, like she was aware of a tech bulletin about it. I said "no", but didn't think to look under the triangular covers.

It's worth exploring with a dealer. That tech writer no longer works at the dealer so I don't have a way to ask about it.

Ed

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The be clear, this rocker panel is the hidden space at the bottom of each side wall under the black plastic covers???

If so, I think this is the same thing discussed in this?

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13826&highlight=Drain+holes&page=2

Posts 11 & 12

I haven't been to the dealer since this so I haven't followed up on it myself.
Yes it is the same area as discussed there. I also thought that the plastic trim at the bottom was attached to the sidewalls by holes and that this might be the cause of the original leak onto the floor of the cargo area. My first post decription: "On left side the leak was from the side panel seam where there is a small gap (seems to be meant to be there)."

But the service department eventually just sealed the small gap on that side as well as other areas and we moved on to the persistant leaks in the rocker panels.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes it is the same area as discussed there. I also thought that the plastic trim at the bottom was attached to the sidewalls by holes and that this might be the cause of the original leak onto the floor of the cargo area. My first post decription: "On left side the leak was from the side panel seam where there is a small gap (seems to be meant to be there)."

But the service department eventually just sealed the small gap on that side as well as other areas and we moved on to the persistant leaks in the rocker panels.
A picture sure would help you explain to everyone exactly where this small gap is/was...

Did they give you any explanation as to the reasons for the leaks in the rocker panels?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No explanations. Just that the leak can be hard to find. The body shop did some more sealing in the rear wheel wells in front and back of the tires. I tested it today for 25 miles in some heavy rain and did not have any leaking. Before this last fix I would have leaking show up in 10 miles.

My picture of the gap is too large to upload so maybe later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Water in rocker panel area (behind plastic triangles)

I have wet mud inside mine. I drove around on some muddy roads this summer and it was splattered half way up the vehicle so I figured it could have washed down behind the plastic side trim but that much mud couldnt have made it through the small holes that hold that trim on. I cant get mine into a dealer until spring. Anybody else have any more info on this yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will check those spots when I get home later as I am also in the process of converting to a camper. I just happened to be working inside the van yesterday during a pretty good Portland, Oregon rain (I am about halfway through the insulation install) and noticed a bit of moisture above the cargo area side door. I think it was coming in at this seam near the sliding door (high and to the rear of the van):

I also had some water coming in between the door seal there as well, but I'm think the door might not have been slammed quite hard enough:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
so after more investigation.... I pulled ALL the plastic triangles off and dug around. all the other areas in the van are dry and clean, with the exception of the area just behind the slider, which has the moist mud in it. The holes where the plastic tabs holding the outer trim on are clean and show no evidence of moisture or mud entering from the outside.
So I looked underneath and one of the rubber plugs, in the area with the mud, was missing and its obvious that is where the mud/water came from.. so for me the mystery seems to be solved.

·
Registered
233 Posts
so after more investigation.... I pulled ALL the plastic triangles off and dug around. all the other areas in the van are dry and clean, with the exception of the area just behind the slider, which has the moist mud in it. The holes where the plastic tabs holding the outer trim on are clean and show no evidence of moisture or mud entering from the outside.
So I looked underneath and one of the rubber plugs, in the area with the mud, was missing and its obvious that is where the mud/water came from.. so for me the mystery seems to be solved.
PMroamer,

Thank you for bringing up the subject of the plugs. I was wandering what the purpose of the plugs was? there are many of them along the bottom of the exterior of the rocker panels. They do not seem very water tight. At first I thought they were to let water out but not in, but thinking about it further I'm thinking the holes are there to facilitate the body painting during manufacture and then they put the plugs in to prevent water coming in.

I did see some sandy silt and mud in my interior rocker panels and looked for a drain, I think I remember seeing a hole from the interior rocker panel connecting to the exterior bottom sliding door track.

I'll have another look and take some pictures.

I'm converting to a campervan and am at the sound/insulation stage so thank you all for the heads up!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
I finally got to drive my van in the rain yesterday comingback from a trip. We were driving in the rain for about 30minutes and stopped to use therestroom. I decided to check the area under the “black triangles”. We wereparked on an uphill and I had about ¼” of water along with a bunch ofsand/gravel just forward of the driver’s side rear wheel.

This morning I drove my van in to work, about a 10 minutedrive. I checked again and there was less water in there than yesterday. Inoticed water on the floor of my van all along that side so I decided to takethe forward “triangle” off. Almost 1 ½” of standing water under there with moregravel!

I think I’m done with this van!!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts