Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally installed my water tank and filled it for the first time using the fill port I installed below the left tail light.
Fluid Toy Engineering Gas Plastic bottle

The main issue at this point is a slow drip where the fill hose connects with the 1 1/4" nylon barb on the tank end of the hose. The way it is plumbed in leaves this connection below the water line.
Wood Floor Hardwood Stairs Kitchen utensil

I have tightened it as far as I care to go but it still wants to weep.
Bicycle handlebar Tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

Am I using the wrong style of fill hose For this application?

·
Registered
324 Posts
In addition what everyone's said about the braided vinyl tubing, the screw-type hose clamp you're using sucks in this application with the accordian style flex hose. You at least need to use the spring-type clamp that applies even pressure all the way around the hose, like the kind you'll find under your hood on the radiator hoses.

But if the hose in the pic is spiral, no clamp is going to seal it because it won't have a continuously flat surface all the way around 360.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to me like the ribs in the hose may provide a path for drips... how about a clear hose clamped on tight... would also show water level?
I've used that braided stuff with hose clamps... works well.
Yes, I also thought the ribs are the problem. Unfortunately with the bends needed in the fill hose I dont think a clear hose is flexable enough to work.
Automotive tire Hood Engineering Gas Electrical wiring

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
770 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,445 Posts
Yes, I also thought the ribs are the problem. Unfortunately with the bends needed in the fill hose I dont think a clear hose is flexable enough to work. View attachment 88241
How about gluing in a 45 degree fitting then the threaded fitting... might ease the curve that's visible... maybe the same on the other end? tight spot there!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This fill hose has flat areas for clamping.
MaggieMarty, that is just what I need! Thank you!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 1 1/4" fill line arrived today from Amazon,
Textile Paint Finger Drinkware Cup

Unfortunately this style is also ribbed on the straight sections. I think my only option now is to use reinforced vinyl tubing from HD and two 90° barbed elbows from West Marine, I had hoped to find 45° elbows but no luck in 1 1/4".

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
770 Posts
The 1 1/4" fill line arrived today from Amazon, View attachment 88415
Unfortunately this style is also ribbed on the straight sections. I think my only option now is to use reinforced vinyl tubing from HD and two 90° barbed elbows from West Marine, I had hoped to find 45° elbows but no luck in 1 1/4".
I’m so surprised that little bit of ribbing also leaks. I trust you tried it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Try smearing some dish soap around the hose under the hose clamp before tightening. I still say you need to use a spring hose clamp instead of the screw type because it doesn’t clamp evenly. The dish soap will help it slip so that it doesn’t pinch the spot next to the screw.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking at the construction of the hose, it is the same product from the first time around, just heated and pressed. I looked at the hose out of the box but did not install it as the barb fitting in the rear 1/4 is a pain to access. I did use soap to position the first hose, that is a great trick. I am sure a spring style clamp would work better but again, the access for the barb in the 1/4.
After looking at it again the spacing on the flat areas would make the hose too long or too short to fit, using vinyl tubing and nylon elbows I can have it done tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts