Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a drive in the rain this morning and heard a sloshing sound while braking then again during acceleration. Sounded like a lot of water. After I got home I removed the triangular shaped black cap at the base of the wall behind drivers seat and found over an inch of brown water in there. Not good.
This is a cargo van with shelves, drawers, and a rubber mat for the floor so there's no carpet or insulation to get moldy and smell however I know this will eventually lead to premature rusting of the body if left this way. I have read other posts about leaky roof marker lights and rear door seal on here but this seems as though it may be coming from somewhere else.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where the leak might be originating from?
Should I go ahead and attempt to seal it up or see the dealer?
Only 3,000 miles on it so far. No holes or extra windows installed. All stock
Apologies for the upside down pic.

Thanks

2015 Promaster cargo 1500 136' high

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link to that thread. I just took off all the plastic covers to investigate further. Found a pile of road grime in front of the wheel well but behind the well I actually found a hole where I could see daylight. (See pic) I'm wondering if water from this leak could have made its way to the front due to the rake. (rear sits higher than front) Roof seams appear to be OK.
Good thing I'm catching this now before it turned into a major rust issue. Now everyone check your wheel wells!
Anyone know if it's a robot or someone in Mexico that applies the sealant to these seams?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Mine are so perfect that I believe it is a robot. It is then painted over. Mine too are fine. BTW all those sections of the rocker panels should have drains. Check yours to see it they are plugged, water as a condensate forms inside the sheet metal of the van under some conditions and has to have a way to get out like the bottom of the doors do. Your water is not that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the plastic plugs in the bottom where I could potentially drain the water out however I would reinstall the plug after doing so to prevent more water. I will be filling the hole with some type of sealant for now and wait till the next rain for results. We are in Hawaii so condensation is not much of an issue. Think of it as always Summer.
For the folks putting insulation or foam down in there before going all out on your custom conversions I would suggest double checking for leaks 1st. That insulation will hold water, mold, stink, and eventually rust.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
DON’T insulate in those rocker panels for just this reason. Yes you are in the no condensation zone for sure. I still cannot believe the water in front of the wheel wells got there from that hole behind the wheel. Most vehicles have weep holes along the rocker panel pinch weld and my van has what looks like them too but they are filled with sealant or undercoat before they were painted. If I had water inside I would use a knife and open the pre-made weep holes in the pinch seam to let it out. I bet you don’t have water behind the wheel because you have an exit point. That water is getting in from above I bet!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see the plastic plugs in the bottom where I could potentially drain the water out however I would reinstall the plug after doing so to prevent more water. I will be filling the hole with some type of sealant for now and wait till the next rain for results. We are in Hawaii so condensation is not much of an issue. Think of it as always Summer.
For the folks putting insulation or foam down in there before going all out on your custom conversions I would suggest double checking for leaks 1st. That insulation will hold water, mold, stink, and eventually rust.
Good find on the hole, hope that resolves the leak for at that rate and color of water, it wills surely build a good rust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts