Ram Promaster Forum banner

water drainage in the engine compartment

124725 Views 445 Replies 70 Participants Last post by  ObvB
I have a 2014 Promaster with the 3.6 Pentaster engine. I bought it new and have logged only 26,000 miles on it in the last three years. We use it mostly as a camper. On at least three separate trips, including just last week, we've had issues with the engine, each time after a heavy rain storm while traveling. Last week, after a heavy rain, we pulled into a campground and the engine began missing while we parked in our site. My code reader showed a "random missfire" code, and the "check engine" light was on. I opened the engine compartment and found small puddles of water in several areas at the top of the intake manifold. I closed the compartment and let the engine dry during the night. The next morning, I cleared the code and started the engine. The "check engine" light was off, and the engine ran perfectly. I drove about 600 miles back home without incident. Now I'm wondering whether water is draining properly from the recess area below the windshield during a rain storm. If it does not drain, the water could overflow into the engine compartment. I'm also wondering whether water can enter the air filter area during a rain storm. Each time I've had a "random missfire" problem, I've been in rain shortly before the missfire problem occurred. Has anyone else had this problem? I welcome any feedback. Komac
421 - 440 of 446 Posts

· Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
465 Posts
Anyone tried one on an older PM?
Anybody in the Bay Area with a shiny new 2021 who would be amenable to me driving over and seeing if your fancy-schmancy engine cover works on my 2016? In 5 minutes you could earn my eternal gratitude! And I'll tell you everything I know about Promasters. (So make it 6 minutes.) Cheers.

· Registered
2021 3500 extended in Michigan
364 Posts

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts
So if I am reading all this correctly, there has no factory solution to the water leak into the engine compartment issue. No mods to the 2022 models nor the 2023?
The 2023 Promaster gets a facelift, called the x290 in Europe. We'll have to wait until someone gets a '23 to see if it solves the problem.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

· Registered
2022 Roadtrek Chase on 2022 PM 3500 extended high roof
53 Posts
I do not have much/any knowledge of the prior years but my 2022 has this large drain tube smack center of the cowl area, I would say it is over 1"/25mm. Was this on previous years ? There are also two small drains on the corners, of course they were pre-clogged when I took delivery :-(

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior

Trunk Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts
fyi,
This thread applies to '14 - '22 Promasters and '07 - "13 Ducatos, so the problem has existed since '07 :)

· Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
465 Posts
Wow, 22 pages of posts. Johnny-come lately I am. I am not going to read the preceding 400+ posts, forgive any redundancy herein. I have a three part water diversion system to protect those bolts in wells in the rear of the upper intake manifold. I am able to break those bolts free and they are slathered with anti-seize so I consider my system up to the task.
Part 1. An extruded rubber strip lips over the big gap between the bottom of the windshield and the windshield shroud. (Poor dead bee shown for scale.)
Hand Tire Automotive tire Hood Road surface

Part 2, inside the engine compartment the funnel collects water, the connected hose directs it to the ground. One can see from the schmutz on the flange the funnel is attached to that water does indeed take this path. (I only clean my motorbikes with a toothbrush.) Part 3, same pic, a 16x24 teflon oven mat lies over the top of the engine. It is tucked under this line and that and not otherwise fastened. I lost one mat after 5k miles. After losing that first one I just tuck the mat in every time I am under the hood and I haven't lost another in an additional 25k miles.
Water Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

I turned my son on to MacGyver and now he refers to me as MacGoofer.

Attachments

· Registered
3,885 Posts
For newcomers, this issue has existed since the first Promasters in 2014. We have speculated it hasn't gotten corporate attention because it doesn't affect commercial vans that get driven daily. A hot engine is a dry engine. Problems arise when the van sits for long periods. Water collects in depressions on top of the engine (the intake manifold) and rusts the bolts therein, causing them to break off when one attempts to remove them someday ($$$). Electrical connections and components under the hood are already fairly waterproof.

My 4-part solution has been 80+% effective in keeping the top of the engine dry for several years:
1) electrical tape to seal the cowl-to-windshield lap (renewed annually).
2) foil-faced butyl tape (for roof repairs) to seal the centre cowl seam (renewed annually).
3) funnel diverter ala @HippieGypsy above.
4) keep the cowl ditch and its 3 drains clear, weedwacker line works great for the outer two drains.

I've resisted using chalking to ensure the cowl can be reused after windshield replacement. I'm also lucky that my cabin-air-intake's hood-to-enginebay gasket seals tight and doesn't leak ... until I open the hood.

421 - 440 of 446 Posts