Ram Promaster Forum banner

water drainage in the engine compartment

124648 Views 445 Replies 70 Participants Last post by  ObvB
I have a 2014 Promaster with the 3.6 Pentaster engine. I bought it new and have logged only 26,000 miles on it in the last three years. We use it mostly as a camper. On at least three separate trips, including just last week, we've had issues with the engine, each time after a heavy rain storm while traveling. Last week, after a heavy rain, we pulled into a campground and the engine began missing while we parked in our site. My code reader showed a "random missfire" code, and the "check engine" light was on. I opened the engine compartment and found small puddles of water in several areas at the top of the intake manifold. I closed the compartment and let the engine dry during the night. The next morning, I cleared the code and started the engine. The "check engine" light was off, and the engine ran perfectly. I drove about 600 miles back home without incident. Now I'm wondering whether water is draining properly from the recess area below the windshield during a rain storm. If it does not drain, the water could overflow into the engine compartment. I'm also wondering whether water can enter the air filter area during a rain storm. Each time I've had a "random missfire" problem, I've been in rain shortly before the missfire problem occurred. Has anyone else had this problem? I welcome any feedback. Komac
401 - 420 of 446 Posts

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,564 Posts
@dov tayles
Ducato air intake scoop.

@afox has one, maybe he can give a "how's it holding up" status :)
13.3US $ 25% OFF|Air intake on hood case for Fiat Ducato 2006 2013 ABS plastic exterior decorative air dynamic cover car styling tuning|Chromium Styling| - AliExpress

Shipping is a problem because I think these come out of Russia, Aliexpress (China) is not allowing me to put one in the cart to check shipping cost.
Product Rectangle Font Magenta Circle

I experimented using foil pan aluminum, it was similar to yours, but I mounted it higher, sloped back and to one side so it would drain in that gully. The "pita" part was getting the slope and length just right.

Maybe make it a 2 pieces, where the moveable one overlaps the inner sloped one.

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Good video @dov tayles and this is exactly what I suspected (but did not have the video proof). I think the situation is worse on many vans since on that van the vent and cowl actually meet up pretty well, not so on some other vans and this is nearly impossible to align. Furthermore if you park on a flat or downward facing slope the water will not drain from the "airbox" under the hood... As an aside if you park on a flat or downward facing slope some water wont drain off of the roof where the channels end, for these reasons I park my van in my driveway (close to flat) with the front wheels on ramps.

Thus the reason I installed the hood cowl @phil mentioned. It diverts all water further down the hood instead of in the intake cowl. It seems to be holding up just fine but my van isn't getting as much use this winter as many peoples.

· Registered
115 Posts
Good video @dov tayles and this is exactly what I suspected (but did not have the video proof). I think the situation is worse on many vans since on that van the vent and cowl actually meet up pretty well, not so on some other vans and this is nearly impossible to align. Furthermore if you park on a flat or downward facing slope the water will not drain from the "airbox" under the hood... As an aside if you park on a flat or downward facing slope some water wont drain off of the roof where the channels end, for these reasons I park my van in my driveway (close to flat) with the front wheels on ramps.

Thus the reason I installed the hood cowl @phil mentioned. It diverts all water further down the hood instead of in the intake cowl. It seems to be holding up just fine but my van isn't getting as much use this winter as many peoples.
I looked at the link for the hood cowl. Apparently, it doesn't currently ship to the US. How does it attach to the hood? Any idea if there are any other sources for it?

· Registered
1,128 Posts
I looked at the link for the hood cowl. Apparently, it doesn't currently ship to the US. How does it attach to the hood? Any idea if there are any other sources for it?
You might look on amazon too, it was on there at one time. If that doesn't work you could probably order it from one of the European companies that ships to the U.S. especially those in the UK.

It comes with vhb tape adhered to a flange, its just lightweight plastic. You just peal the tape and stick it on. I assume this thing hurts fuel economy and wish it were not necessary!

· Registered
1,128 Posts
It seems like that hood scoop would reduce water intake while parked, but not so much while driving.
Sort of @SteveSS

While driving there is so much heat and air under the hood that water that comes in dries almost instantly and does not cause damage.

While parked the water that comes in sits there in a cool, dark, damp environment until it either dries or you drive next which causes damage.

This is why users like @Kip-on-truckin who's van(s) are driven daily report no issues with water damage under the hood. My van gets driven much much less and before plugging up all the holes id look under the hood 2 weeks after a rainstorm and still see puddles. This is what causes damage. Water under the hood for a few hours/overnight is much less likely to cause damage.

· Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
464 Posts
This message appears on the Ebay store for Niki's Auto Parts, which is the vendor on the previous Alibaba reference herein.

"The seller is away until Tue, Dec 31, 2030. Expect a delay in delivery until they return."

The Ebay site also states all parts they sell are made in Russia.

Apparently they are planning on being in the doghouse for a long time.

· Premium Member
2022 Promaster 2500 159" WB High Roof
150 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
847 Posts
Where is it getting in, I did not see it dripping down on the video? If we know the entry point, it seems like a diverter would be easy to make out of some 1/8" inch ABS sheet. A heat gun will warm it up enough to form it pretty easy. I made a couple of vortex generators out of it to mount on my bike to break up the air flow over the fairing & hitting me in the chest. The stuff is tough and fun to work with.

· Registered
115 Posts
Where is it getting in, I did not see it dripping down on the video? If we know the entry point, it seems like a diverter would be easy to make out of some 1/8" inch ABS sheet. A heat gun will warm it up enough to form it pretty easy. I made a couple of vortex generators out of it to mount on my bike to break up the air flow over the fairing & hitting me in the chest. The stuff is tough and fun to work with.
Water is entering through the cabin air intake openings on the hood.

· Registered
2014, high top 159", 2500 gas, work van
12 Posts
I have found this to work pretty good, especially if your van is not going to be driven for awhile. I went back to the company that did my signage and he didn't charge me anything either. Just two magnetic strips that hold very well, I've driven away with them still on only to later realized when no heat, oops.
Well I must go now, having an outer tie rod installed today, dealer item only here $418 + tax. My buddy got it for $330 so all good. After almost 2 1/2 years I will replace one of my led headlights too. I only did the low beam at the time but bought all four(high and low) to do this weekend.
Car Grille Automotive lighting White Hood
Car Vehicle Grille Photograph Automotive lighting

· Registered
2019 ProMaster Lexor
65 Posts
Well, not trying to beat a dead horse on this subject, I seen this thread a while back and give alot of thought to find some sort of solution to the 3 hole drainage and the standing water in the intake box. It has been a challenge for many on this forum, I did not cualk any spots because I wanted to see the way to stop this leaking that works. Here are the steps 1) order at least 2 sets of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8RX2FR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 then cut them so the brush go in the hole,but not loose.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Water Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid

I made sure that I bent the wire part for not letting it go down the hole and for easy removel, the brush can get dirty. The middle hole is much large so I combine two brushes together. If you can see I tried a glue down mesh screen and it work for very short time. The only thing so far that plug this, was pollen, we get alot of pollen here and when it rains it turns into mush, but neddles and other stuff just collected around the wire brush and still drained. I been having a lot of rain lately and so far it has been draining, no pools. Now for the air box lip that holds water and when you open the hood spills all over. I agree with what people say that will not cause a problem, yet I hate seeing water over my engine. So, again get this I will explain what to do, you only need the tubing and the price is cheap. https://smile.amazon.com/Westmed-Vi...1648178806&s=hpc&sprefix=nebul,hpc,150&sr=1-4 First drill a starter hole in the lip of the air box (not the one attached to the hood) the final hole should be 3/8 this will make the top of the tube fit snug. Cut the other end of the tube and feed it into the hole you drilled (if you can use a short shank drill bit when you make the hole, makes it easy, it really don't hurt to have the hole at a little angle if you don't have one) run it down to the open ground and push it through to hole that PM provides. Here are the pics (I used UV glue for the top, you probably wont need to that but I did for flushing the hole. I used a razor blade to cut the top as low as
Water Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sky

you can go so it could be flushed. Here is the pic where the tube exits, what I slip over the tube to hold it there, it is black head phone ear piece, works perfect.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Road surface

All in all it a cheap way to some help to get rid of water sitting around. My next task is a way to seal around wiper arms, stay tune.

Attachments

· Registered
2019 ProMaster Lexor
65 Posts
So, it is just a 1/2-inch tube? Did you have to drill out the old tube? The white color part that has a flange to keep it from going down the hole is glued in on mine, makes it hard to remove. I would maybe think about your way and still use the strainer method that seems to work for me.

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,862 Posts
So, it is just a 1/2-inch tube? Did you have to drill out the old tube? The white color part that has a flange to keep it from going down the hole is glued in on mine, makes it hard to remove. I would maybe think about your way and still use the strainer method that seems to work for me.
I didn't drill. The tube I used is a real tight fit. You can see how it is pinched in the hole.
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Freezing Metal

401 - 420 of 446 Posts