Ram Promaster Forum banner
381 - 390 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
25 Posts
It took all of two days for the leaf litter to block the tiny side drains on my new 2021 PM. I made a "leaf mask" out of leftover mosquito curtain material, and four 4-lb magnets. Super easy, and every well dressed PM needs a mask these days, right? It won't fix the leaks, but it will keep the cowling and windshield wipers clean. Magnets are sewn into four corner black pockets (third pic). Hardly visible from the street. Takes only seconds to remove before driving and then replace when back home.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Van Automotive exterior Car Vehicle Hood Auto part Textile Pattern Mesh Net Beige

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
25 Posts
It took all of two days for the leaf litter to block the tiny side drains on my new 2021 PM. I made a "leaf mask" out of leftover mosquito curtain material, and four 4-lb magnets. Super easy, and every well dressed PM needs a mask these days, right? It won't fix the leaks, but it will keep the cowling and windshield wipers clean. Magnets are sewn into four corner black pockets (third pic). Hardly visible from the street. Takes only seconds to remove before driving and then replace when back home.
View attachment 68338 View attachment 68339 View attachment 68340
Update: this helps, but not a whole lot. Leaves slide down from the roof and upper unmasked portion of the windshield. Some slide directly under the screen and collect in the cowling or onto the wipers, others pile up at the top of the mask and get dumped into the cowling as soon as you remove it. To really work, it would have to cover the entire vertical surface of the windshield, I now see.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
@Balero
Thanks for the follow up. The only issue I had to deal with were the small needle leaves from a Dawn Redwood. Trying to figure out how to keep the top edge tight to the windshield.

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
25 Posts
Trying to figure out how to keep the top edge tight to the windshield.
Yep, that's my challenge too. Some sort of tape that sticks to glass without adhesive, and can be easily removed/reapplied? Maybe magnets? But that seems more trouble than it's worth; easiest I can figure is the extend the cover from the upper window edge all the way down to the cowling. But I have a high roof, so no idea how I would get it on/off on a regular basis.

Lemme know if you figure it out! We live in Texas, where there is a long, extended fall, then pollen (yes, so much that it can actually accumulate and need to be removed), then the spring leaf fall--basically tree litter year round falling on my PM.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts
For those that are trying to stop water from overflowing into the wiper shaft hole and down onto wire connections.
Hadn't thought about this, but I saw them on the Transit, a grommet. I couldn't find a Promaster/Ducato one so I assume they are not available.
Wiper shaft arm grommets are out there.
I think some trimming might have to be done.

·
Registered
Used low mile 2018 159
59 Posts
On my new (to me) 2018, dealer replaced the following.

1 1ZS89JXW-AA BEZEL AIR INLET
1 1ZS89JXW-AC BEZEL AIR INLET
2 68134996-AA TUBE DRAIN
1 68236967-AB SEAL COWL

Will check with water sprayer when am sure all adhesives are completely dry/cured.
From this point on will add my own DIY measures above and beyond these new and hopefully better replacement parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I did this also I had extra 3m window weld so I sealed up that joint with that. but you do have to keep after keeping the drains unplugged. I use a small piece of metal wire to un clog the small drains on either side.
Don't use a metal wire it can puncture the tube inside and water will drain from there. Use a weed-wacker cord or a thin plastic zip tie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since we got some rain last nite I just took a look at my van (2017) and the situation is terrible. The small holes were clogged, the engine compartment had water everywhere, all over the electrical components/connectors on the drivers side of the engine bay. I called my dealer since van is under warranty, they said no TSB or recall for 2017s for this. Did they really change anything from 2014 to 2017?

I cleaned out the small holes on each end, by first removing the crud from the tray with a wet vac shop vac, then used the string trimmer cord as mentioned in this thread, then ran water thru them to make sure they were clean. Then I cleaned up the area where the windshield meets the plastic tray with rags/alcohol and applied electrical tape (nice 3m very thin/flexible tape) over the area where windshield meets plastic. Used a hair dryer to get the tape to adhere well and bend to the surfaces. Taped the seam in the middle too, although tape isnt great there since the plastic isn't smooth and hard to adhere where there is a "lip" where the two pieces meet. I think this is a situation where something is better than nothing. The electrical tape will have to do while I find the perfect tape and/or improve the drainage and dry things completely before I caulk the seam in the middle.

Also, I found that the screw that holds the plastic tray to its "mounts" on either end were leaking badly, the screw is in a divet which just sits with water, on the drivers side it is directly above a bunch of electrical connectors and drips water right onto them. I filled the divet with caulk, will make removing the plastic tray to replace windsheild harder but not sure what else to do and Id much rather have to deal with that than electrical issues. Also, noticed that water had filled the top of the strut cups on the drivers side and had just filled the cups and was just sitting there. JFC, what were they thinking!!!

Also, looking at the front of my high top PM Im thinking of adding some J moulding in an arc above the windsheild to direct water to the sides of the van instead of down the windsheild since the large sloped area of the roof above the windsheild is sending a lot of water down the windsheild.

J moulding:
Where does a person purchase J moulding like the type shown in this video? All I can find is very squared (90 degree angles) J moulding?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,282 Posts

·
Registered
2014 gas 159" hightop cargo
56 Posts
La pièce de rechange était le collecteur d'admission. Ils ont dû le couper pour l'enlever.
The exact same thing happened to me at 50,000 km. Cost $800 with labor... That bill stuck in my throat!

381 - 390 of 390 Posts