Ram Promaster Forum banner

341 - 360 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
267 Posts
I have a 3.0 litre diesel the picture I posted is of a 2.2 diesel application there's a bunch of stuff mounted there it would be hard to get anything in that area

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 3.0 litre diesel the picture I posted is of a 2.2 diesel application there's a bunch of stuff mounted there it would be hard to get anything in that area
Here's a ebay link

·
Registered
267 Posts
does anyone know a cheap replacement option for the side drains, I'd like to add one to the intake box but can't quite source a similar item... also trying to find better options for the side drains, they seal so poorly that water just goes between the cowl and the drain edge instead of down the drain. it doesn't help that the drains are raised instead of recessed or beveled... Komac, I think the new drain you have is already there on mine but covered with a knockout plug. I wonder if it's like the on all years or if that is a minor change on newer cowls. thanks for posting the pics
[/QUOTEhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ6BX/?coliid=I3TTDZ694A53XU&colid=2YO7AERDEOLMS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it]

·
Registered
267 Posts
does anyone know a cheap replacement option for the side drains, I'd like to add one to the intake box but can't quite source a similar item... also trying to find better options for the side drains, they seal so poorly that water just goes between the cowl and the drain edge instead of down the drain. it doesn't help that the drains are raised instead of recessed or beveled... Komac, I think the new drain you have is already there on mine but covered with a knockout plug. I wonder if it's like the on all years or if that is a minor change on newer cowls. thanks for posting the pics

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
346 Posts
A few weeks ago we had rain/sleet and then snow. I took these pics and wondered if others get the same when the conditions get cold. I had my local dealer work on the plastic trim this summer to fix the seal leak which they failed. I'll fix it myself as they put the hood on crooked and didnt fix the leak. I waited until the ice melted before I started the engine as it broke a belt last year.
20191113_110431.jpg
20191113_105927.jpg
20191113_110251.jpg
20191113_105931.jpg

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,060 Posts
@CorndogCaravan
I had icicles, but they were located at the ends of the drain tubes. I only have a small drip when I open the hood, otherwise I'm dry.

There are several things you can do to direct water, I believe all the solutions have shown.

Have you done any of the mods?

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
346 Posts
@CorndogCaravan
I had icicles, but they were located at the ends of the drain tubes. I only have a small drip when I open the hood, otherwise I'm dry.

There are several things you can do to direct water, I believe all the solutions have shown.

Have you done any of the mods?
I haven't but the main issue is water coming in at the normal points. I was only posting pics to help others that might be in cold climates right now. We hope to never see freezing temps once we hit the road and are behind on our schedule. I'll be sealing up the gaps when we get some warmer temps. I shouldn't have put this off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just started dealing with this issue on my 2019. I could see there was a gap at the center seam where the two cowls meet. I put some Gorilla Patch and Seal tape over the seam thinking that would take care of it. Nope. The foam piece between the cowls was still getting saturated and pools of water were still forming on top of the engine. I'm definitely going to have to do add some sealant along the bottom edge of the window.

I perused through the thread for ideas, and looked on web to find this article: 7 Ways To Stop Cowl Leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my 2019 low roof last week. We got a big rain last night and my engine looks like I left the hood open all night! My van has one central drain tube that is robust and clean. My driveway is a bit steep and I park nose down so all the water that landed on the roof ran right to the windshield.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Komac, did you try taping or caulking that central seam? That was what I will be doing.

Regarding tape, I'll be using a cloth tape called "gaffer tape" that is hard to find and is expensive but it's better than duct tape (waterproof, flexible).
Gorrilla tape is stronger then gaffers taps.

·
Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
And you know a few "gaffers" which helps keep the costs down ?

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
227 Posts
Thanks for this tread. We have a new used 2018 159 HT. Checked after a good rain and have a pretty good leak right in the middle. The windshield has a huge gap about 6" long, just off centerline. Called dealer said that they have a company that comes in "Leak Masters" so we'll see how they do. I've been chasing leaks all over. Clearance lights leaked and had a leak by the rear door. Pretty frustrating for 1,000 miles. But want it tight before the build out.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
227 Posts
This is a funny one "Leak Masters" came to the dealership to fix the leak. Well they show up in a Promaster and say "They all leak there". LOL. They did agree that the crowling is warped and the dealer ordered a new ones. After that, I guess I'll take matters in my own hand.

·
Registered
2014, high top 159", 2500 gas, work van
10 Posts
It is a design flaw for sure! I have done some caulking myself and have eliminated maybe 95% of the water that was coming in before. I lifted the cowl and ran a bead there first, then clicked it all back down and caulked to the windshield. The seam in the middle is a must!! I can’t believe 19’s are having this problem, I thought it was because mine was an older 14 with some wear and tear. I would suggest caulking rather than tape, and if you are not comfortable in doing the caulking yourself you could go to any windshield/glass shop. It was a glass guy that showed me many years ago!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not sure why this is still a thread and why people don't just do the pentastar engine cover mod. It's not hard to do and keeps the engine dry in the spots that matter.

341 - 360 of 385 Posts