Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 small areas that retain water on the outside of the van. One on each side just below the windshield and to the side of the hood. This first photo shows the location on the passenger side.

This second photo shows the small rubberish plug in the hole. It's basically a stopper that allows water to pool and freeze.

But, this stopper is attached to a "tube" that goes somewhere (I haven't traced it).

I'd like to stop water from pooling here. Anyone come across this and solve it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The stopper is not a stopper. There is a hole in the enter which gets plugged constantly.

I use a stiff piece of wire to clean it out periodically.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I use my air hose. Someone replaced it with a bigger hose I believe but cannot find the post so maybe not. CRS

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I keep a 2ft length of plastic weed wacker line in my door pocket. Works great. I've also had the big centre drain clog up with tree debris, so I occasionally blow that out with a water hose. The whole windshield cowl is an unfortunate design flaw, but a minor (manageable) one in my opinion. Our VW has a similar problem. Still love 'em both.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Check post #1386 of "What did you do to your Promaster" for pics of my drain upgrade attempt . The screens I used are too fine , they silt up , but they drain well when clear . The tubing used is 3/8 clear vinyl .

·
Registered
315 Posts
I went the 3/8" clear tube route. The rubber grommet comes out easily. Pay attention to how the small original tubes are routed. I believe the 3/8 will fit nicely into the grommet hole if I remember correctly, if not size up as little as possible with a drill bit. It should be a tight squeeze which is good. Leave it about 1/8 to 1/4 up, use your judgement. Caulk this lip to help secure and manage debris. This works much, much better, thanks to whoever came up with this idea!!!
UPDATE:
Here is the original idea from 83Grumman
Cowling Drain Mod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts