Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheesh...getting my roof rack installed next week as part of my purchase deal. Washed the roof, clay bar it, wash it again. Tomorrow pre-wax bonding agent then waxing.

Not fun...how do you guys get up there to wash or maintain? I'm sort of a stickler with my equipment and it's usually **** & span, but wow...I can see breaking my skull, clearly my 7' ladder is not enough to avoid a balancing act. Might have to break out the 10.

What do you guys to to keep this monster clean?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Yes it is hard to do. You would need oxygen on a high roof Transit. I use a extendable brush but
never wash the roof except at a special car/rv wash and maybe 2 times a year for the roof.
I own a black van and in the middle of having a filter system hooked up(not done yet) to have
clean rinse water.
Wax once a year with Meguirs Hi Tech yellow wax #26 after a very good cleaning.
Use RainX before any long trip as to make it easier to clean the windows from bugs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Promising I needed it to do tree work and adjust the house security floodlights I nabbed a Costco 'Little Giant MegaMax 17 Ladder' on a $40 off special...

The ladder is only seven-foot step ladder equivalent but it has a snap-in grab bar for another 24-inches hand-hold height. Of course the first thing used it for was washing & waxing everything above the vans windows. Worked well even with touches of vertigo.

I used a brand new soft RV brush with a 4-foot handle with plenty of hot water soap... and found a bountiful sufficiency of teeny scratches when buffing the rejex paint sealant off, one good squiggle-streak every one, two, four inches.... Don't know if the van ever went through a mechanical car wash in the nine months after it was produced but it's pre-scratched now.

Our upper-Midwest rich black dirt is about 1/3 superfine quartz sand left over from the glaciers, it's everywhere. IF you're lucky enough to live where there is little or no quartz sand a soft brush will work well but have quartz sand around and it'll embed in the bristles and scratch the merry ell out of everything. Maybe a microfiber mop head style truck wash tool & a lot of rinsing could avoid most scratching...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Haven't washed it yet, but sitting in the entry way is a large boar's hair brush on an extendable handle. Combine that with a couple stepladders, I expect to do well enough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't washed it yet, but sitting in the entry way is a large boar's hair brush on an extendable handle. Combine that with a couple stepladders, I expect to do well enough.
I'm in construction...my solution was to rig scaffolding like I do everything else that's high. Two 10' ladders and the scaffold plank and voila!! Banged out the wash/clay bar/wash/bond coat/polish coat in no time. Now for the rest of the van!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
All I can add is that I bought a POS extendable brush/soap reservoir thingy from Wal-mart that actually works pretty well. $14 or some such. I wouldn't call it actual detailing, but it's a quick way to wash all but the roof without having a to use a ladder.

Reactions: keeponvaning

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Which truck stops?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts