Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you all.

I purchased my van about 5 months ago but havent really done anything yet because Ive been doing research and looking at options. This will be the thread for my entire build and I will be posting photos and updates as I go along. I purchased the 3500 extended body with high roof.

My main goal is to be fully self contained. Me and my girl go to Burningman each year which is 7 days in the desert with zero resources except what you brought with you. Im adding a full RV 3 way fridge not the mini ones, full solar system, raised up queen bed in the rear, roof AC, wet bathroom with 'real' RV toilet not cassette.

Obstacles Im running into right now is fresh, gray and black tanks. Where to purchase, what size and where to mount them. If anyone can give me some info I would really appreciate it.

So far all Ive done is put insullation down on the floor with plywood on top and I sprayed my silver wheel covers with matte black plasti-dip

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im having a few problems with the following - any input would be appreciated:

1) Fresh, Gray and Black holding tanks, where to purchase? What size? and where to mount them? I want as much fresh as possible.

2) Propane what size to purchase, where to purchase and where to mount?

3) Exhaust and parking brake cable re-route. As ya'll know the exhaust is super long and takes up a lot of the valuable space under the chassis as does the parking brake cable. Has anyone moved them to a different area. Keep in mind, Im in California and they have strict smog laws.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Blacks wheels look great. There is a guy here that moved his exhaust. It he doesn't post here, search for it.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
You in SD? I'm in Ocean Beach. I have a 159 3500 that I'm converting to an RV. Just got it. I have my exhaust rerouted out the side. Any exhaust place can do it.

I'm planning on purchasing my tanks from www.customroto.com. I just need to decide what size. Water tank will go where spare was. Spare will be mounted on rear door.

I was planning on buying tanks made to fit the Ducato but it's a risk paying freight for something that may not fit.
Www.leisurelines.net/x250-fresh-mwb-new-ducato-92-p.asp

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I like the black wheels also. I'm thinking gunmetal for mine. Todd

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For some reason I have a huge fear of cutting holes into my roof or sides for windows so I paid my mobile RV guy to do it. Came out pretty nice. I put the AC towards to front so that the back 1/2 of the roof will have a nice area for a roof rack.

I will be adding solar panels on either side of the AC and maybe a small one sideways in front of the Fantastic vent. I went with a low profile AC which looks better and is less wind resistant.

One thing might be an issue - on my first drive with the AC installed while going over a few bumps I notices the AC and ceiling bouncing up and down and Im wondering if others had this issue and if I should install one or two metal braces for support similar to the factory ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes on the braces. A guy over on the Ford Transit forum just had the same issue. He ran a brace over to the side frame at top on either side, and back and front to either brace forward and rear.
Took care of the issue.....

Reactions: stanw909

·
Registered
314 Posts
For some reason I have a huge fear of cutting holes into my roof or sides for windows so I paid my mobile RV guy to do it. Came out pretty nice. I put the AC towards to front so that the back 1/2 of the roof will have a nice area for a roof rack.

I will be adding solar panels on either side of the AC and maybe a small one sideways in front of the Fantastic vent. I went with a low profile AC which looks better and is less wind resistant.

One thing might be an issue - on my first drive with the AC installed while going over a few bumps I notices the AC and ceiling bouncing up and down and Im wondering if others had this issue and if I should install one or two metal braces for support similar to the factory ones.
With regard to A/C bouncing, I noticed the Travado has a 1/4"-3/8" thick sheet of something between the roof and the A/C. This may be for that purpose.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I had someone help me cut one window opening. Its going to be by my kitchen counter. I had to remove one of those vertical ribs in order for the window to fit. Once we cut the window shape out the sheet metal of the van was very unstable, even when we temporarily put the window in the space to check for size so I made a wood frame with over sized horizontal pieces which fixed the sheet metal moving back and forth.

One thing that I absolutely F'ed up big time was when I put a wood frame on the inside of the vehicle for the trim ring to squeeze against, using adhesive, I used clamps in place over night to hold the wood until the adhesive hardened which left indentations on the side of my van. I'm FURIOUS with myself for making such a rookie mistake.

Now I have to figure out some kind of rectangle that I can fabricate to go around the window frame on the outside of the van to hide the dents. They're not too bad but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

One question for you guys, If you have a built in gas stove on the counter, how important is it to have an extraction fan over the stove with a vent out the side of the van. My window is right there and I also have a fantastic vent in the roof right near the kitchen counter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I don't see the dents so maybe it's fine as is. If you really look closely at the Promaster some of the body panels are wavy. I've noticed this on several Promasters I looked at. I believe that's just how these cargo vans are. If it really bothers you perhaps a larger window could go there and you could use this window in your bathroom or somewhere else.

I don't think an extraction fan is necessary if you have a fantastic vent nearby. My Fantastic Vent is near where my induction stove will go.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
In my opinion is to take off those 2x2 or what ever that is and add up and down supports
attached to the upper and lower frames.

In the hot sun in the summer time the panel is going to go crazy on you.
See pic below.
I have a black van and had screwed some panels on the center support and the panel went
crazy on me, so I had to have the support from the upper and sides. Now it is fine and straight.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I just moved the support I cut out over as close as I could to the new window and it's very solid. I know this is a bit late for you but something others should consider.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
There is no need to curve the window frame as there is plenty of flex in the wall and once the windows are installed it will conform perfectly and any curvature will be invisible. It has a very minor curve unlike other eurovans.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How are you all.

Obstacles Im running into right now is fresh, gray and black tanks. Where to purchase, what size and where to mount them. If anyone can give me some info I would really appreciate it.
There's sufficient room to install proper grey and black tanks under the chassis, Our 21' 3500 Promaster has a 24 gal grey -2x12gal. joined (center on photo), one 12 gal. black (left on the photo) and a 26 gal fresh water tank in the vehicle near the drivers side rear wheel well.

All the album of our Safari Condo ProMaster conversion at:
http://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-GL/XLFLEXsafaricondocom/n-MNSpq/

24 gal grey -2x12gal. joined (center on photo), one 12 gal. black (left on the photo)

Photos of the installation at the same location inside the van of a 26gal fresh water tank on a Sprinter

26 fresh and 12 black tanks used on our ProMaster, here installed on a Sprinter.
Safari Condo is now offering the same popular layout developped for our ProMaster on the Sprinter see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.349556541880777.1073741908.123104127859354&type=3
The Safari Condo (factory in Quebec, Canada) web page for motorhomes
http://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises

1 - 20 of 117 Posts