Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The worst part about my new van is the smell coming out of the rubber floor mat in the cab. (I have chemical sensitivities.) Also I don't like how squishy it is when I go between the front and the back.

I hope that if I leave the van open in the sun the rubber will off-gas to where I don't notice it anymore but I've no idea how long that would take and I'd like to be more proactive. I'm going to be living in this van and I need to be doing that as soon as possible.

What I would love to do is replace it with something made with the same material as the BedRug's BedTred.
Problems:
1. I don't know if the BedTred (or similar) would be insulating enough.
2. I don't have a clue how to get my hands on something like this.

I'm about 95% sure that a pre-cut floor replacement doesn't exist but maybe I'm wrong?
It has occurred to me that if I could get a template of the shape of the floor mat and sheets of the BedTred sort of TPO then I could get someone to cut the TPO to fit. (I dream big! :) )

Any ideas about what I could do / where I could look? I can't use carpet or (ply)wood.

If replacing the rubber is a complete no-go, then I'd love ideas for how to make the bit between the seats be less squishy.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will receive lots of suggestions on how to solve your problem and, hopefully, one that works for you.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
You get used to the squishiness. I added a front mat from Lloyds Mats and now the softness seems more like a carpet pad so the brain doesn’t notice it as so soft. I would suggest you open the windows while the van is in your yard and let the fumes from all the various materials in the cab dissipate. The floor has lots of wires running under that mat and the mat is soft to protect them. If you can get over the softness just scrub the surface with a solvent like alcohol that evaporates quickly and enjoy the van. I like vinegar for turning a plastic smell into a vinegary plastic smell.
What makes you think the BedRug isn’t worse?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Greetings and welcome. Bedtread is made out of TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin) and will off-gas less than PVC, ABS and other plastics. Look for flooring made out of TPO. If you need more insulating value than consider minicell foam (crosslinked polyethylene) underneath which also does not off-gas as much as other closed cell foams like EVA. It is firm but somewhat compressible so will give a little. We recommend it for under plywood van floors. Look for Okoume plywood which is a lot less stinky than conventional plywood. We sell 3M Thinsulate(TM) acoustic/thermal insulation engineered for vehicles which also does not have a smell or off-gassing issues. It's common in blankets and outerwear. We use it to insulate walls and ceiling. We can send a sample to see if you can tolerate it.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hein,
I’m new here. I am a lighting and landscape contractor. MId like a sample if you don’t mind. I’d like to insulate and sound proof my 2014 2500 mid top PM. Also looking for shelving ideas and adding windows to side and back doors. I’m still learning my way around this site. Thank you for any help.
Kendall Jennings
11465 Deer Creek Dr.
College Station, TX. 77845

1 - 6 of 6 Posts