Ram Promaster Forum banner

Wanted: Rear Heater - A/C Prep Package

407 13
Any of you have a van that came with the rear heater prep package and didn't use it? Would like to purchase it from you. Can do without the clamps, it's the tees I'm after.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,731 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,216 Posts
Post move to the correct sub forum.
Please post wanted ads at the classified sub forum and not at the build& conversion sub forum.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
That is for the brass and copper solder, not solid fittings.
That would be nice. Can you cite documentation? Much of what I've seen just says brass and copper, although I have seen solder mentioned occasionally too. However, it does seem like a lot of us have used solid brass fittings in Isotemp installations and no one has reported a failure that I know of, yet.

OAT coolant is also incompatible with silicone, so don't use silicone heater hoses. Unfortunately, I didn't know about any of this when I installed my Isotemp, so I have some tough decisions to make. Even if my brass fittings are safe, I'm still concerned about my silicone heater hoses inside the van.

·
Registered
2019 ProMaster 2500HR 159WB Window Van
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If all you want is the Tees to gap into the engine coolant hoses, I bought ones from NAPA. Avoid the shiny all plastic ones (I think they were label for Fords) and buy the plastic ones that are reinforced with glass fibers.

They looked like these:
5/8 X 5/8 X 5/8 In. Plastic Heater Hose Tee NOE 6601672 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

They come in various sizes. I bought 5/8 x 3/8 x 5/8 and 3/4 x 3/8 x 3/4. I think the two heater hoses are slightly different sizes.
Thanks for the info, Larry. I think this is the route I'll take.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing hugely official, but a lot of evidence from various sources.

I suspect it probably isn't great for brass, but it would take forever to corrode a solid fitting.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Nothing hugely official, but a lot of evidence from various sources.

I suspect it probably isn't great for brass, but it would take forever to corrode a solid fitting.
Thanks, I remember bumping into those myself. Both coolant recipes and car company usage have changed over time, so you have to be cognizant of antiquated info. Apparently Chrysler switched to its current OAT formulation around 2013, but I haven't found what specific organic inhibitors it contains. Its SDS just says "proprietary" "hydrated inorganic acid and organic acid salts". 2-EHA in particular has been accused of dissolving gaskets and silicone hose, but even that is questionable. On the other hand, every mariner knows sea salt corrodes copper and brass. But is that true for organic acid salts? One heck of a rabbit hole, eh?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,419 Posts
My understanding is that OAT does not protect copper or brass material, which is why it's not recommended for older/vintage vehicles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts