Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a few weeks I may need a garage, work space, work shop, barn or covered bay with lockable door to store and work on one vehicle for 1-4 months.

I will not be using toxic or flammable materials, just mechanical (hammer, saw, etc) and electric (saw, drill, etc) tools and some minor paint and glue work.
Local noise laws will be respected and the vehicle will be worked on by one or two people during the hours allowed by the space owner.

I'm also willing to work with the space owner to clean up, fix up and prepare a garage, barn or warehouse space for usage as I have experience doing some light demolition, clean ups and clean outs, organizing, painting and manual labor.

I did find some garages on CG but they are either taken, don't allow conversions or have electric, are too expensive, or want a longer lease/rental than a month.
I was also contacted by several people also doing conversions on various vehicles who are looking for a similar place, so there is demand out there for this type of place.
Here is an article that covers a DIY repair shop and here an article about biodiesel in New Paltz, NY.
I wish there were more places like this for people who just need to rent a few weeks or months to get a DIY project done.

Any suggestions and leads are welcome.

UPDATE: Garage still needed in the Northeast area

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Perhaps a large storage unit?

For liability reasons, it is becoming more and more difficult to offer what you are requesting.

While it is ideal to have electricity in the building, it is a good example of the value of installing a sufficient electrical system so that you can operate "off grid". I do it all of the time.

You can start out by building up the electrical system stand alone to have power to work on the van.

I offer something slightly similar locally (San Jose area) that I call "rent the shop for the day" that includes tools, access to electrical parts, and me acting as the "helper". It is somewhat more complicated with covid, but we work through it.

Either way, I strongly suggest to hire a helper for both safety and getting tools for you vs constantly going in / out of the van.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm not on FB and I know I'm missing out on some things because of that, I can only hope someone will find this forum, CG and Ebay for my classifieds.
Most storage units either don't have electric or don't allow construction or maintenance of vehicles.
I'm already building but may need a new space due to life changes and it's possible I will have my electric system setup and then use it to finish some details, but I'm just being "preemptive" by searching now, plus I'm curious about how to get such a DIY garage shop service going as many people need it for their projects.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news I called some more outdoor storage unit places and a few will accept renting a place and doing some work as long as it's not lots of noisy and messy power tools such as circular and table saws.

You can rent any size place to store supplies and tools and use either your vehicle/battery/solar power for some power tools like a handy jigsaw or use battery powered tools which can be recharged using your vehicle power setup or a public library if you have no other options.

I suggest calling and visiting as many storage facilities you can find in your area using Google Maps and word of mouth, you might get lucky and even find a special work shop depending where you live.
For heavy duty work you'll have to find another workaround, maybe get special cuts done at a hardware store...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still looking for a place in the Hudson Valley, Westchester, Rockland, Northwest New Jersey or New York City area - a garage, work space, work shop, barn, or storage unit with electric and/or heating that allows minor vehicle work with battery powered tools.

HV CG ads here and here

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After half a year of searching I have gathered some information and found a few places.

My temporary conclusion is that Southern NY is mostly a "dead zone" for affordable short term rental garages.
You will find more places in New York City, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut so you have to expand your radius and be willing to move there.
Expect to pay around $500-1,000 or more per month for rent, with or without utilities for a single bay at minimum or two bays at most, though size varies from a few 100 to a few 1,000 square feet.

A few people have garages they need to clear out, renovate and/or slightly modify so if you are willing to work and help them out they can reduce rent and offer a place to sleep.
Others run a professional business and are ok with short term projects if and when space is available.

Please read this other thread for more details.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm bumping this thread for myself and others looking for short term garages for rent for van conversion projects in the Northeast USA area.

I am still looking for a place to finish my project anywhere in 11 NE states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.

Wanted: Commercial, Industrial, or Residential Garage, Warehouse Bay, Work Space, Work Shop, Woodworking Shop, etc For Short Term Rent

- Utilities needed: Electric for light, small space heater, a few small power tools

- Dimensions needed for entrance:
9 feet Height clearance
8 1/2 feet Width for garage door entrance
20 feet Length for the van
and need approximately 500-1,000 square feet total additional interior space to work in

• If the van can't fit inside he building that's ok I can work inside and bring the finished objects into the van docked next to the garage or workshop entrance
  • Purpose: 2-3 months of upfitting, wood cabinetry work and interior work on a van
  • Willing to sign a liability waiver since some people don't want to rent short term (that needs to change as there is an urgent unmet demand)
  • Email me via Craigslist , post below or pm me via this forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts