Ram Promaster Forum banner

Want to add missing 12v power to rear panel

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RV8R 
#1 ·
My ProMaster 2500 159 didn't come with the rear 12v power on the rear like it did for some - and I simply want the outlet when the engine is running. I removed the panel to see if it was pre-wired, but no dice sadly (unless I didn't know what to look for). However, I did verify that it has the f9 fuse and relay pre-installed (under the hood fuse box) that is specifically for this rear 12v power connector. Can anyone help a guy who practically knows nothing how I should run a wire to install this myself?

Just for reference, I've read the forums on this site about this issue and I never really saw a conclusion. There was a lot of great discussion and knowledge, but nothing that actually said how to make this happen. I think I may have at least confirmed that it's not an "upfitter" thing, so I think it's something wired from that f09 fuse area. HELP!

Appreciative for any help! Thanks!

T

PS - thanks to MtBiker for responding to my first post - it was deleted because I didn't realize I needed to add an intro post first - sorry about that!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the plug you should be looking for back there:

As noted, 2 wires going to the plug, one yellow and one black.

As an option, there is a good chance that if all of the setup was there, you might need the dealer to turn it on via computer... not sure, but a good possibility!

#4 ·
Thanks! I'll take a look and see if that connector is there. I opened it up once before and was fairly sure it wasn't (sadly). But, I'll take another look and maybe take some pictures. If it's not there, would you have any thoughts about how to get it there? :)

#11 · (Edited)
There are easy paths to get there to the starter battery compartment under the drivers seat. Or if you install a house battery bank

If running off your started battery; battery compartment / left side of drivers seat / up pillar post/ into ceiling & wall cavity / to drivers side rear & down rear post ( or over to passenger rear post & down post )

This is also a good path for solar wires to roof if you do not want to cut holes in your roof - out to rear plastic light/camera mount “no roof holes”

I have tons of photos on my build thread around page 4, but hereis what I am posting you about (photos);

#6 ·
Thanks - I might just do it that way as it's probably a lot more practical. I was just wanting to test myself to learn how this stuff works. And I kind of liked the idea of at least enabling the OEM 12v outlet. I'm still interested if anyone can point me to the starting point! :)

#7 ·
Would it be possible to steal power from (tap off of) the front cigarette lighter? That line should have decent current capability and is switched off/on by the ignition key. It's a long way from the front to the back of the van and so you may need to run thicker gauge wire to avoid voltage losses if you want to run voltage-sensitive equipment.

I followed a tip by @83Grumman on how where to tap into the line. It's behind the cupholders panel.

#9 ·
Still looking for some insight on how the oem rear 12v outlet is wired. Maybe someone out there who has this option has pictures or knowledge of how the wires work. Like I said, I have the f09 fuse and relay for this outlet. Just want to understand the wiring. The other discussions on this subject don’t actually address the oem wiring even though they’re filled with great information. :) Thanks, T

#10 ·
Still looking for some insight on how the oem rear 12v outlet is wired. Maybe someone out there who has this option has pictures or knowledge of how the wires work. Like I said, I have the f09 fuse and relay for this outlet. Just want to understand the wiring. The other discussions on this subject don’t actually address the oem wiring even though they’re filled with great information. :) Thanks, T
Hi tmac

Just a thought (as I had the rear power outlet in the back when I purchased new).

I disconnected my rear 12v outlet by removing it from the harness plug 😳.

Maybe all PMs wire harnesses have that harness plug As part of the factory wiring?

Have you removed the rear panel and looked to see if you have that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.