Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First major hole was cut in the rear of the roof for the vent fan. Pushed it to the back to make room for solar panels and AC. Also it will pull air from the front windows all the way through the van. Built my wood frame to be the correct thickness to attach my finished ceiling later.

Vent fan exterior installation, WanderVan

Vent fan interior framing, WanderVan

Blog post with more info on the roof vent install:
RV Roof Vent Fan Install - Wandering Wakes

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We had a beautiful sunny day today with a high of about 50F, so I got busy and installed two windows on the passenger side. One in the slider and then one in the panel behind it. You can still see the light colored butyl tape around the edge. I will give it more time to finish squeezing out and then trim it off. These were new, surplus, awning windows about 38" x 17".

Blog post with more info on window install:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
First major hole was cut in the rear of the roof for the vent fan. Pushed it to the back to make room for solar panels and AC. Also it will pull air from the front windows all the way through the van. Built my wood frame to be the correct thickness to attach my finished ceiling later.
Looks a lot like mine, except I have the smaller cover... nice! I painted the white trim and used black Eternabond so it looks better from the third floor of a hotel room! Same inside work too... 2 years between vent install and roof trim out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I debated on painting the white roof vent exterior pieces dark and using black sealant. But I think I will paint the entire roof white to reduce heat and so I opted for white sealant. I could certainly see going either way.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That white roof is going to look pretty tacky from the aforementioned 3rd floor hotel room... but, I'd think it will be cooler (wonder if you could put a white sheet over the top and take temp measurements in a similar environment with dark vs. light roof).

My van inside ceiling (before ceiling insulation) was very hot, but I think a lot of heat comes from the side walls too.

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
In AZ where lots of vehicles are white and about all school buses have white roofs it ceases to seem odd or unusual.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
All of our vehicles are white. My wife and I happen to really like white. I don't know what the fuss is why people here hate white vans. White seems to stay cleaner looking too. Dark colors require so much work to keep nice looking. Reds tend to fade to pink out here or worse yet, down to metal flake. Silvers tend to lose their clear coats. AZ sun is just absolutely brutal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Today's project was both seat swivels and a lower base on the driver side. Swivels are CTA from Leisure Lines in the UK and the base is a sportscraft. Trimming the driver side plastic trim and drilling new mount holes took the most time :)

Blog post with more info on the CTA seat swivel install:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I glued down sheet vinyl today. Covered all of the primed plywood floor. I put one seam under the bed, which will be under tanks and some drawers, just to have less waste. I was not convinced that a floating floor would be best, and I was concerned stick down vinyl planks might expand and contract and shown gaps. Anyway, I am pleased with the result.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a link to our blog post on the sheet vinyl and floor install:

Info on the marine water heater and parking air heater install will be coming soon....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got a chance to test the IsoTherm IsoTemp Spa 15 marine style water heater a couple of weeks ago on a short trip. This was our first road test after the installation. It worked very well, heated water quickly, and stayed hot for hours. I still need to fine tune the mixer valve, but we are very pleased with this water heater option for our DIY RV van. It is installed under the fixed rear bed, over the axle, between our fresh and grey tanks. 5/8" hoses run along the driver side frame members under the van to the engine compartment. I cut the short heater hoses that exit the firewall and inserted 3/4 x 5/8 x 3/4 tees, and then a 5/8 ball valve in each line near the tee. I can shut off the hoses and water heater system if there was an issue. It took just under an additional gallon of coolant to fill all of the new lines and heat exchanger.

More photos and details can be found on our blog post:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The roof has been coated with Henry Tropi-Cool white roof coating. It made a huge difference in the temperatures on the under side of the metal roof.

Blog post with more info:

·
Registered
87 Posts

View attachment 60451

View attachment 60452

Blog post with more info on the roof vent install:
RV Roof Vent Fan Install - Wandering Wakes
It is interesting that some people install a support frame for the fan and some don't. I might just add some wooden crossbeams that run parallel with the van on both sides of the fan just to give it some support before I add the ceiling panels. Over good work. Thank goodness not too many people see on top of the roof right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts