Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Advantages of Age

As several of the campervan contingent on this forum are - - to be polite - - elderly. (To be less polite - - old fossils), we thought we’d solicit comments on the advantages of ‘being’ old? (Other than ‘it beats the alternative’.)

We offer this modest start:

1) Retirement - - providing the time to make our campervan conversion and, now, to enjoy it.

2) The Federal Senor/Golden Eagle Pass - - the best deal we ever received from the federal government.

So here we are at the Buffalo River National Park in northwestern Arkansas listening to the raging Buffalo River. Our arrival was greeted with a storm the likes of which we do not often see. The river is at flood stage and many of our canoeing neighbors are chagrined as the river is currently ‘off limits’.

If there was any doubt that our recent water-proofing efforts were sufficient, that doubt is gone - - we’re dry and good to go. We were more concerned with the ‘solid rain’ - - the hale noise was so intense that we could not carry-on a conversation inside, even yelling. Not sure how large those pellets were, but a quick inspection of the solar panels reveals no damage.

This park comes with our recommendation, actually our second visit here. Nice wooded sites along the river with substantial landscaping stone/walls built to provide spacious and level camping spots for both RVs and tents. And, if you’re a senior, that $11 price tag for electric and water isn’t bad. And an added treat: the twisting, hilly wooded drive required to get here.

Next stop: Horseshoe Bend Campground on Beaver Lake, still in Arkansas.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unplanned and Unexpected Treasures

We often stumble upon unknown (to us) curious establishments. Such was the case today when a sign beckoned us a mile off course to Osage, Arkansas where we believed we were going to find the country’s premiere philatelist. But the reference to stamps, we learned, had nothing to do with postage. Newt, who now owns this establishment and is its principal craftsman, purchased the store from Mr. Stamps. It’s an interesting building on the outside and, more so, on the inside - - adorned with all form of antiques as well as Newt’s samples and wares. “Those antiques,” Newt noted, “were thrown-in with the deal on the condition that I don’t sell them - - just leave them where they lay.”

We caught Newt in the process of ‘turning’ a couple dozen mugs - - the handles for which he advised would be attached the following day.

We attempted to talk Newt into a new, modified product - - an induction cooktop ready coffee mug. Told him all he needed to do was incorporate a disc of magnetic material into its bottom - - we’d be his beta testers and first customers.

And, if this chandelier meets with your approval, you can have it for the low price of $22,000.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Old fossils have flexible schedules with time to follow curious signs and find hidden treasures. When I was a kid, my dad got two weeks of vacation and we spent it visiting parks all across the western US every year. On those long hurried road trips, while my sister and I fought in the back seat, mom would stare wistfully out the window and say: "James, when we retire, I want to stop and read all these hysterical roadside markers."

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
All those years we paid Social Security and Medicare taxes and complained- believing we would be unlikely to benefit from them are now past. Thank goodness to be receiving both, we would not be able to even modestly live without them. Senior discounts are welcome where ever they occur although I feel they are often wasted as so many young families are paying full price as we once did and we could have used a little break. My Dad was a diary farmer and Mom taught and worked in the fields all summer. No vacation memories for us as no vacations happened. We resolved to raise our kids with different memories no matter how little we had. We travel now because we can.

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
That far one looks familiar and since it’s in OK I’d guess MsNomer?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
You look comfy in the van. Good to see the ‘Nomers are well and camping too. That picture just reminds me I need to get the second swivel and the lowered bases for the front seats. We head East on Sunday, a short camping trip across this year, 15-16 days as Ms. RD has a checkup to get back for.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,494 Posts
"Which way to the local seniors center?" "I understand they have a Leathrtman collection there to die for" ;)
Winston don't need no stinkin' Leatherman. Ask him why there are no open holes lining the dinette window. He has a secret weapon, and it looks good even on close examination.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Winston don't need no stinkin' Leatherman. Ask him why there are no open holes lining the dinette window. He has a secret weapon, and it looks good even on close examination.
Simple . . . a quart of "Holes Be Gone".

·
Registered
795 Posts
" Holes Be Gone " ? E-Bay or Amazon ??? I've been giving myself headaches trying to find plugs for all those holes .

1 - 20 of 76 Posts