Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add some sort of plastic panels to the walls and maybe some sound deadener. I been reading some use Hdpe which seems to be a close match to the factory panels which I like. Where is the best place to source Hdpe and what is a good product for sound deadener maybe with some insulation?
Is there another material that will work like Hdpe?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got some aftermarket wall panels and I don't like how much thermal expansion it gets. I will get a significant bulge when it hit 95 degree, and more the hotter it gets. Once it cools to 80's degree, it sit flat. The material listed on the website said "high density polyethylene ", the few thin plywood panel I made never have any bulge. I probably end up using the plastic panel as template and redo it on plywood instead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got some aftermarket wall panels and I don't like how much thermal expansion it gets. I will get a significant bulge when it hit 95 degree, and more the hotter it gets. Once it cools to 80's degree, it sit flat. The material listed on the website said "high density polyethylene ", the few thin plywood panel I made never have any bulge. I probably end up using the plastic panel as template and redo it on plywood instead.
Sounds like you're talking about Legend Duratherm panels which I'm also using with zebra wood high pressure laminate glued to them. I also notice quite a bit thermal expansion. I've been looking at 1/4" Komatex (expanded PVC) for the ceiling. It's very light & rigid but I don't know how much it expands & contracts...

·
Registered
128 Posts
FYI- Almost no adhesives stick to HDPE and it's very heavy so I wouldn't use it. I used it to make frames for the underside of my 2 roof fans which are held in place by sheet metal screws but wouldn't use it for anything else in the van.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well starting to sound like it’s not a great product due to expansion. I’m going to have shelves in the PM and just want something on the wall to prevent things from denting up the walls and to clean the appearance up.
What other options I had thought about FRP but it does not leave a smooth edge when cut.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
This is what i have now:
Do the panels expand so much they are restricted against the van structural members? If they are & you can trim them then that may eliminate the bulging. If the “fasteners“ are screwed tight or the holes in the panels can be enlarged then that might also help keep the panels flat in higher heats.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's what I was thinking too RV8R - boring out or or making slots of the holes to allow the panels to move back and forth. They might rattle or become prone to getting misaligned afterward though.

·
Premium Member
2018 Promaster, 1500, 136 WB, Ducka You Head Lowla Bridgeada Roof
38 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about Legend Duratherm panels which I'm also using with zebra wood high pressure laminate glued to them. I also notice quite a bit thermal expansion. I've been looking at 1/4" Komatex (expanded PVC) for the ceiling. It's very light & rigid but I don't know how much it expands & contracts... View attachment 64103
This is amazing. We have a black van also. What did you use to cover the non-laminate areas, like pillars? And what did you decide on for the roof? I looked through your posts but couldn't find anything!

Reactions: bahawton

·
Registered
128 Posts
My van is actually white but I had Line-X fill in 95% of the holes inside before spraying it with black bed liner. Helps with sound deadening & thermal transfer plus I don't have to worry about staining fabric that has been glued to sheet metal surfaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts