Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a voltage drain. When I hook my meter up it says I am losing .08 amps and then about every minute or so it rises to .1 amps. I checked the voltage yesterday when I parked @ 12.99 and today before starting it. It had dropped to 12.64. This is my starter battery and it is not hooked up to my house system. Its a 2014 136" gasser.
Does anyone know if this is normal? I just put this new battery in yesterday because of the problems Ive been having with my battery dying after just one day off.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just after charging batteries have a "surface charge" which bleeds off naturally over a few hours until the battery get down to 12.8 which is the fully charged voltage after the battery has "rested". That is why battery manufacturers recommend waiting 24 hours to check a recently charged battery.

All modern vehicles have many loads on the battery when not running. There are engine and body computers, memories kept alive such as the radio, and others. My 2015 gasser shows a similar voltage drop especially if measured with a door open and an internal light on. Is it the same if you close the door to kill the light? Mine is a camper and not driven as a daily ride. If I let it sit for a couple of weeks it goes down to 12.3 approaching the half discharged point of 12.2.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Since the battery is new, I'll have to do more testing but the old battery gave the same readings and I would have no power to start after just one day parked.

So does anyone have the .08 amp draw and then the intermittent .1 amp for a sec? And this shouldn't kill a battery of this size so quickly anyway should it? Also is battery under warranty by chance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts