Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone 6’ tall or taller have the “Interior Convenience Group” which includes the “Over Head Storage Shelf” and does it get in the way of feeling like you have full visibility?

Cheers,

:)PP

P.s. asking because I test drove one a couple months ago and I’m not sure but I don’t think it had that, and I didn’t think one way or the other about it, but I test drove another that had it a couple weeks ago, and I sort of felt like I needed to bow down a little to feel like I had full command of my field of view. But,, at the same time, it didn’t look like my actual field of view changed when I did, so I’m wondering if it was just a subconscious feeling of having an obstruction above my line of sight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im also 6'2". It did feel a little weird at first, like it was cramped but the whole experience felt weird coming from my 3500 dodge ram crew cab.

I don't notice it anymore...

Whether the shelf is there or not, your visibility isn't going to change one bit. It's more about the feel of being cramped...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I will as usual, will give the opposing point of view. I'm 6' 3". I test drove one with the shelf and it was enough to make me order one without. My line of site was just slightly below the shelf to the point where it seemed in the way. In Wisconsin, we have our stop lights mounted on poles, but if I was from one of those goofy states where the signals are hung on cables over the intersections, I think I'd have to crane my neck to see what's going on overhead. I haven't missed the tray yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Respects to Pete, if you don't like the shelf then you don't like the shelf. But Visibility is not an issue with the shelf, ever. If your head fits in the van your eyes will be below the shelf. Even if you are wedged in the van think of a automobile roof, or a baseball cap. You will adjust to the sense of a short ceiling. We goofy Ohio folk with the lights on wires generally have those wires in the center of the intersection not the beginning and do not pull up so far as to not be able to see them. Also not a problem. They are only about 6-7 feet above your rig anyhow. Don't forget to consider the shelf in the discussion of the shelf. Mine is a fantastic storage place where things stay clean and dry and safe. I carry a few moving blankets that I would otherwise probably not have in the truck and I use them often. A small gym bag is up there with dry socks, extra t-shirts, small toiletries etc. Again, had I not the shelf I am sure the bag would be wet and dirty from these crappy Ohio winters or not on the truck at all. Seasonal gear such as winter gloves, face masks, extra flannel shirt, etc. get stuffed there. My wife's purse can hide there. Laptop bag, lunch, gifts and anything I do not want smashed or smeared in the back of my heavy use work vehicle. Love my shelf, can you tell?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the shelf

6'0" even - no depends, hemorrhoid cushions or the like (Ha Ha). I keep the seat one setting from all the way down. The only viewing problem is occasionally having to lean forward to see an overhead traffic signal if I'm first at the corner. But I've had other vehicles (suv's) I've had to do that with also so I consider it normal.

The sunshade/visor ends up being a bit lower when I put it down though. It can block quite a bit of my view. Don't use it much...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks, All, for all the feedback. Had a feeling it was more of a perception or feeling thing than something that really affected visibility, but great to hear that echoed. Guess it's back for another test ride for me.

And thanks especially, Allhandsondeck, for the lovely visual to go with my morning tea!

Ps, big ole western mass shoutout to makevx73. Always nice to run into another brother from the 413.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,860 Posts
The shelf was one option I was not willing to compromise on because on trips my husband collects maps the way dogs collect fleas.

Does anyone have a problem with anything flying out of it? I stored sleeping pads and a quilt in the upper black shelf and they all went flying to the rear, so I'll be putting some kind of "door" on it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks, All, for all the feedback. Had a feeling it was more of a perception or feeling thing than something that really affected visibility, but great to hear that echoed. Guess it's back for another test ride for me.

And thanks especially, Allhandsondeck, for the lovely visual to go with my morning tea!

Ps, big ole western mass shoutout to makevx73. Always nice to run into another brother from the 413.
Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
You must be a drag racer off traffic lights, lol :)

The gas PM sure has the power to take off fast. I havent had anything fall off the black large shelf I love that shelf. I also love the convenience shelf in the front. My first PM didnt have it and this one does, I use it for so many small items! The shelf is a must have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What the PM needs is a shorter base for the drivers seat so if you are tall you can adjust down to get a proper field of vision below the top of the windshield or shelf. bulldogneon has cut 4" from the base of his seat with no negative issues, that seems like a lot to me, I could see 2" making a world of difference.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Respects to Pete, if you don't like the shelf then you don't like the shelf. But Visibility is not an issue with the shelf, ever. If your head fits in the van your eyes will be below the shelf. Even if you are wedged in the van think of a automobile roof, or a baseball cap. You will adjust to the sense of a short ceiling. We goofy Ohio folk with the lights on wires generally have those wires in the center of the intersection not the beginning and do not pull up so far as to not be able to see them. Also not a problem. They are only about 6-7 feet above your rig anyhow. Don't forget to consider the shelf in the discussion of the shelf. Mine is a fantastic storage place where things stay clean and dry and safe. I carry a few moving blankets that I would otherwise probably not have in the truck and I use them often. A small gym bag is up there with dry socks, extra t-shirts, small toiletries etc. Again, had I not the shelf I am sure the bag would be wet and dirty from these crappy Ohio winters or not on the truck at all. Seasonal gear such as winter gloves, face masks, extra flannel shirt, etc. get stuffed there. My wife's purse can hide there. Laptop bag, lunch, gifts and anything I do not want smashed or smeared in the back of my heavy use work vehicle. Love my shelf, can you tell?
David,

I think were talking about different shelves here. The discussion initially asked a question about the small tray type storage shelf that is included with the interior convenience group. Not the large package shelf above the driver's compartment ceiling. The large package shelf I agree is a very handy addition. I am able to keep rolls of pex, canvas drop cloths, and other large items up there and out of the way. In the 2010 Sprinter I drive for work, that is just left as useless dead space because MB was unable to engineer it better. The interior convenience group shelf on the other hand is maybe handy for small items like sunglasses or a wallet but that's about the extent of it. It hangs down about 2-3" from the ceiling and the sun visors are then mounted to it instead of to the ceiling. At 6'3" and with a 34" inseam and bad knees from 20 years of being a plumbing serviceman, I like to keep the seat adjusted pretty high to keep my legs comfortable. In my PM without the convenience shelf, my line of sight is very near the top of the windshield. On the van I test drove with this added shelf, it was noticeably in the way especially when trying to see anything above my line of sight (like goofy Oh, and MI traffic signals.) We'll pick on the Michiganders too because Many of my relatives are over there. And yes I do realize that the WI way of mounting signals is probably outdated, but if you're accustomed to them, the overhead ones are an adjustment when traveling. You'll have to get used to my occasional sarcasm, it's unlikely to subside any time soon.

Regards,

Pete

·
Registered
331 Posts
David,

I think were talking about different shelves here. The discussion initially asked a question about the small tray type storage shelf that is included with the interior convenience group. Not the large package shelf above the driver's compartment ceiling.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the shelf that came with the Interior Convenience Group option was the large shelf above the cab ceiling, not the smaller tray type shelf above the windshield.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Pic??? I got a shelf that goes from door to door split with the dome light.. not a big one to store large things.. maybe i didnt get one that maybe i should have.
Lets see photos of both shelves..
is there a van that has both installed?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Pic??? I got a shelf that goes from door to door split with the dome light.. not a big one to store large things.. maybe i didnt get one that maybe i should have.
Lets see photos of both shelves..
is there a van that has both installed?
Attached is a photo from dealer inventory. You may have to zoom in a little to see enough detail.

The white (or cream colored) shelf just above the tops of the headrests is the small tray type shelf. It is actually located at the top of the windshield. I think it is only a few inches deep. I thought that shelf was standard on all Promasters. The darker gray area above that is the shelf above the roof trim. It is about 20-24 inches deep and maybe 8-10 inches high. It is above the heads of passenger and driver. I think this larger one is part of the interior convenience group option.

If that is not correct, let me know, because I want that larger shelf and plan to order the Interior Convenience Group Package to get it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts