Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Used to think it would be more likely you'd be exposed while on the road than staying in one place but now I'm not so sure. After struggling with sanitizing as much as possible - even after something as mundane as shopping for food, I find it's nearly impossible to not be exposed at least in some small way every time you venture out of your supposedly 'clean' residence (whatever that residence may be).

Obviously, if you head into an area that has a higher rate of infection (NYC) the chance is greater but based on what we're seeing the rate is getting fairly high in a lot of areas but just hasn't manifested as illness yet. I'll actually be surprised if I don't get it at some point.

@RnR - How The Novel Coronavirus And The Flu Are Alike ... And Different

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I find this whole situation fascinating.
I don't remember anyone concerned about infecting and killing our elderly and immune compromised between 0ct '19 and the beginning of March '20,....while we were in full-on flu season and it was hospitalizing 100s of thousands and killing 10s of thousands. Mainly the elderly and immune compromised. Including infants.
Where was the caution? The hysteria? People being called irresponsible? Did we not care about saving just one elderly citizen 3 months ago?
3 months ago, we didn't have to be careful and it was acceptable and normal if an 80 yr old in a nursing home caught the flu and died of lung complications?
I get being scared of something new, but this is now beyond ridiculous.
Guess what our county exec said on the news today,....
NYS is tracking everyone on their phone to see if we're staying home.
He was bragging that our county was doing well.
Not a conspiracy. They said it, out loud, as if it was okay. I didn't give Google or NY permission to do that.
I won't continue to rant. But every aspect of this situation is absurd.
Hi RNR,
Not at all an expert on this, but I think that Covid19 is a different ballgame than the regular flu.

We have a vaccine for the flu, so far fewer people will get it and will get a case serious enough to need hospitalization -- perhaps half a million over the 6 month flu season by the numbers you reference.
The mortality rate is only 0.1% for the regular flu.

Covid19 is very easily transferred and there is no vaccine protection and no treatment drugs yet. The people who study infectious diseases say that if no special precautions are taken, 60% of our population will likely get Covid19 and it most of it will happen over a short time with exponential growth in the number of cases. That's 200 million people in the US. If the number of cases needed hospitalization is 15% (which is what some of the predictions say), that's 30 million people hospitalized. Our hospital system is just not up to that even with lots of emergency additions in capacity. The mortality rate for Covid19 appears that it will come in at 1 to 2% -- that's 2 to 4 million people dead -- a hundred times more than the seasonal flu.

It seems to me its a whole different ballgame than the seasonal flu. To me, the shut stuff down and stay home is extreme, but justified in this case.

Gary

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi RNR,
Not at all an expert on this, but I think that Covid19 is a different ballgame than the regular flu.

We have a vaccine for the flu, so far fewer people will get it and will get a case serious enough to need hospitalization -- perhaps half a million over the 6 month flu season by the numbers you reference.
The mortality rate is only 0.1% for the regular flu.

Covid19 is very easily transferred and there is no vaccine protection and no treatment drugs yet. The people who study infectious diseases say that if no special precautions are taken, 60% of our population will likely get Covid19 and it most of it will happen over a short time with exponential growth in the number of cases. That's 200 million people in the US. If the number of cases needed hospitalization is 15% (which is what some of the predictions say), that's 30 million people hospitalized. Our hospital system is just not up to that even with lots of emergency additions in capacity. The mortality rate for Covid19 appears that it will come in at 1 to 2% -- that's 2 to 4 million people dead -- a hundred times more than the seasonal flu.

It seems to me its a whole different ballgame than the seasonal flu. To me, the shut stuff down and stay home is extreme, but justified in this case.

Gary
Exactly...

I have had a few friends phone me with this same bizarre comparison of the flu😳. I have told them it is like comparing “Apples to Automobiles“.

We stay isolated, not to avoid the Covid indefinitely, but to reduce the infection rate and buy time for the health care to help the ones that need ICU & ventilators. Lower the infection rate “the curve”, buy time, & save lives.

Do nothing and the number of infected increases exponentially & the death rate also increases huge.

NYS asking for 30,000 ventilators & being offered 400;

essential travel is essential, however non-essential travel is not (those are personal rationalizations)

This is up to all of us now

·
Registered
814 Posts
I find this whole situation fascinating.
I don't remember anyone concerned about infecting and killing our elderly and immune compromised between 0ct '19 and the beginning of March '20,....while we were in full-on flu season and it was hospitalizing 100s of thousands and killing 10s of thousands.
I'm surprised that you are still comparing Covid-19 to the seasonal flu. Simply put, there is no comparison of the risks associated with the two.

Here is a nice summary that shows why

Yes, Vox is imperfect, but this is a solid post with sources.

While there is still a lot of uncertainty on exact rates of transmission and fatality rates (owing to insufficient testing), the current range estimates are all sobering.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Son's friends tested positive for C19. Healthy, athletic, 40's. She works for Kaiser and probably caught it there. They said, "Remember that bad flu we all had when we all thought we were dying? This is a lot worse."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some really bizzaro stuff I witnessed on our road trip. Stopped at a gas station off I-95 on the way to FL. Staying 10 feet from folks as I maneuvered my way to the rest room. A older lady from NYC explodes in multiple sneezes. I stay off to one side upwind of her and pause. She starts shaking her hands in denial and says to her husband "I'm OK Morty! Don't worry, it's just allergies" in her thick NYC accent. All I could think that Seinfeld would use this in his act! My wife usually refused to leave the van and she has a super power allowing her to not pee for a day at a time if she is scared. As an old Navy Vet on multiple meds that challenge my kidneys, stops every couple hours are mandatory. As others have put it here, just manage your expectations and you'll be OK. Coming home, we could see clouds of pollen blowing off the pine trees. My wife started sneezing. (Pollen has bugged her all her life) I quickly lowered my armest and said "You keep your germs on YOUR side of the van lady!" I got an easily read "look". After 40 years together, I may be thick, but I can read the looks. ;-)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
@ThomD
You said I'm "still" comparing. I only said it once.
Anyway, I'm not comparing the viruses. I'm comparing reactions.
No one is careful during flu season, which goes on for months and kills a LOT of people. 2-3 yrs ago was a really bad one and this year was a bad one. Even with vaccinations, it kills people. Yet, no concern. Not a word. My biggest problem is with the irrational fear that is being spread. And please don't misunderstand and accuse me of saying that we shouldn't be cautious and smart about this. The problem is these predictions and the unnecessary fear.
Think about this for a moment:
Influenza b starts up around Oct every year. By Jan, 20,000 people died.
Covid-19 started being tested for in Jan. It was likely around well before then. It's the end of March and just over 700 people have died from it. That's not because of sheltering in place. We just started that a week ago. This thing had months to spread and kill 20,000 people, before we were even paying attention. But it didn't.
Is it spreading like wildfire? Or,....did an astronomical amount of people already have it and we administered a few hundred thousand tests all at once? See what I'm saying?
It's not spreading as fast as the are saying. People already had it and they tested all at once. So the graphs and charts look like there's 300,000 cases overnight.
My problem here is not that people are taking this seriously or being cautious. My problem is the irrational fear and behavior, every single time we seal with a new problem. And the way politicians ramp up the drama and encourage the fear, while talk out of both sides of their mouth, so they can politicize it and play the hero, while fabricating needs, just so they can claim someone else isn't doing a good job.
I'm watching the local press conferences in NY. I've been dealing with these people in my state for a long time and know how they operate.
I'm watching what they're doing and saying in real time and see through it. It's disgusting.
We don't need 140,000 hospital beds or 30,000 ventilators in NY.
Only 3500 people have been hospitalized in the whole state since Jan.
I'm just tired of things like this being blown out of proportion and used as a means to other ends all the time. That's what I have a problem with because we deal with it all the time in this state. Especially being on the other end of the state. The unimportant end. I'm not arguing that the virus isn't different than the flu per isn't serious. I'm saying there's a lot of exaggerating going on and scaring people with "curves" and graphs.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
And no one wants to take a chance that it "could" infect millions and kill 2% of our population, according to the graphs coming out of NY.
No one wants to be the bad guy or go against the grain on a stage like this.
So everyone has to stay in their house, even in areas that hardly have a problem. Now we're all medical experts and analysts because we've been glued to the news for 2 weeks and now we're criticizing each other's behavior.

·
Registered
814 Posts
@ThomD
You said I'm "still" comparing. I only said it once.
"Still" as in people have been making this comparison for weeks and the experts have presented plenty of evidence why that is comparison is unfounded.

Unless you have some expertise is virology, immunology or infectious diseases that you have not shared, your skepticism and wonder are less interesting to me than the advice of medical professionals (not politicians).

At this point I've had my say. Nothing to add unless/until somebody close tests pos. or dies.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Thom, I explicitly said, I'm not comparing the virus. I'm comparing the reactions. People are being told to be scared. Yet, every flu season, many people die and no one is told to be careful. I find the psychology aspect of these situations fascinating, as well as frustrating.
People turn their brains on when they're told to. And then they only compute what info they're told too.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
This whole situation is extremely unfortunate, for many other reasons than people getting sick.
I'll stay out of it and see you guys on the other side of this mess.
Can't wait to move out of NY.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
People should always practice good hygiene and avoid being around dirtbags. People who are just starting to washing their hands, not touching their face and avoiding sneezing or coughing dirtbags have been behind the curve for years.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
Just trying to be helpful when someone says they "can’t wait to move"🙀. Lots of people from NYS move to Florida, or so I’m told - another suggestion - just don’t forget the tanning lotion and ‘gator spray if you go that route!

·
Registered
10 Posts
"I'm not comparing the virus. I'm comparing the reactions"
The medical expert have stated this (Covid-19) is many times worse than influenza, so why would one be surprised or shocked that the reaction is as well?
Also compounding the problem is that Covid-19 is not "in place" of the flu, but "in addition" to it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Change cabin air filter?
Would avoid heavy viral traffic like New Orleans or New York City.
Promaster continuous improvements are ongoing in case this blows over by the fall.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
61 - 80 of 83 Posts