Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retired University life scientist
Building new pm to follow birds
Worried about virus for people traveling in vans!
Anyone interested in how do this ?
Learned from forum so much about how to do
Diy builds
Now we must protect ourselves to live our dreams

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I am about a month from traveling across the country. Friends w/o a van have just done this and other couple will soon. I feel the van is a great asset in maintaining separation. The first couple above traveled in their pickup, stayed in motels, ate mostly their own food but purchased some food from deli’s at fuel stops. The second couple are older nearer 80 and travel in a car. They plan to stay at motels and buy food but don’t have a way to carry much of their own. Contrast that to our own plan. We will take and cook our own food and eat in the van. We will stop for gas, use the bathrooms and have soap and water and perhaps some sanitizer in our van. We will sleep in our van, stay at open State and National campgrounds where we can and stay at parking lots otherwise. Our dog needs a long walk and excersise generally so we will find empty parks, trails or neighborhoods to do that. I beieve we are much less likely to exchange Corvid-19 virus than either of those couples. In a way the van is protection. If we do get sick we will follow the CDC and NIH guidelines for treatment and travel to a hospital if we must. Testing might be an obstacle as many States are testing their own. Ms RD is no longer driving so reliance on me being well is a factor.
Future threats may be more or less problematic depending on the means of transmission. I respect all possible infections but would generally feel gastro-intestinal ones would be much more difficult considering the limited bathroom facilities in most DIY vans. If I were suffering that I would rent a room to vomit or have dysentery in so facilities to shower, lie down and get back to the bathroom fast were at hand. I have often said the two most important modern inventions are the refrigerator and the flush toilet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Call me crazy but I think this is a great time for a road trip as long as precautions are taken like RD mentioned. Just be prepared to be self sufficient and accept the risks of roughing it for those who rely on common amenities. A van seems like a great place to shelter in place/self quarantine!

My job is considered critical so I'm hoping someone on the forum will post their adventure for me to follow.

Stay away from others and practice good hygiene.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Now is not the time to be taking a road trip. Go home. Stay home.

This map shows the spread across the US. 1 Case on Jan 1st. 17,000 cases on March 20th. 33,000 confirmed cases now. The key thing about this map is that is shows exactly what the experts were predicting in early February - no where and then everywhere. Yes, you probably have to give the Times your email address to setup a free account. Absolutely worth it.

If we do not slow this down, more people will die. This isn't f-ing global warming that is going to kill people in decades. There are people alive today who will die before your next birthday only if we let this spread with no control. Stay home - they live. Go around and spread a virus - they die. 5,000 dead Italians would agree, if they could.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Lots of states are asking people from out of the state to leave. Not that I personally am worried about being run out of some town, but somebody I do know was asked to leave Utah by some state health official. Weird times and weird stuff happening.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
In this case RD will be going home.

RD, make sure you have the iOverlander app as well as Allstays. IOverlander will help you find more isolated boondocking spots.

if you come our way, Oklahoma parks are now set up nicely for social distancing. Register online on the spot without any human interaction.

·
Registered
436 Posts
@RD - If you want to try and ride this out in NH instead of AZ (which might be marginally safer) you'll likely have to leave in the next couple days. Even better would be today or tomorrow but even then it's a multi-day trip with closures and restrictions increasing rapidly, so you still might have trouble making it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Now is not the time to be taking a road trip. Go home. Stay home.

This map shows the spread across the US. 1 Case on Jan 1st. 17,000 cases on March 20th. 33,000 confirmed cases now. The key thing about this map is that is shows exactly what the experts were predicting in early February - no where and then everywhere. Yes, you probably have to give the Times your email address to setup a free account. Absolutely worth it.

If we do not slow this down, more people will die. This isn't f-ing global warming that is going to kill people in decades. There are people alive today who will die before your next birthday only if we let this spread with no control. Stay home - they live. Go around and spread a virus - they die. 5,000 dead Italians would agree, if they could.
100% Agree ThomD & thank you for this post (everyone should look @ that link map 😳)

People just are not getting it. We generally suffer from “normalcy bias”. In my city (BC’s Capital), the police shut down a party they became aware of because of a noise complaint😳. Young people @ this party and some of them thought they are immune to the virus due to their youth (or so they told the police).

IMHO; Heading out on a non-essential van road trip during this pandemic increases the risk of infection to yourselves & more importantly to the general population.

Most of us are in good enough health to live thru this pandemic, however many are not. We stay home and venture out for essential trips to the grocery store & do not hoard in order to limit our exposure to decrease the spread.

Stay Home & Save Lives

To repeat what KOV once wrote;

Unfortunately, for some people it’s “all about me”

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
We don’t have a choice about the trip to NH. As MsNomer said we will be going home. Our AZ house is not equipped with A/C and a summer without it would be a substantial risk itself. On our trip we will not be spreaders, will not participate with folks at the beach getting drunk and having casual sex (sadly), will not be using paper money, will not be bare handing the fuel pump handle or the bathroom knobs. We will be little or no risk to anyone. OTOH we plan to protect ourselves in this way too. If I get kicked out of one state so much the better, I don’t plan to stop in most states anyway. If most all fuel stations are open I can get home on 4 fill ups but 5 is more likely, try that in your gasser! We cannot go until I replace a pair of doors on the house here in AZ and they are due in at H-D in about three weeks (I hope). If they don’t arrive before April 15th I’ll reinforce the ones on the house with some OSB and the day they arrive I’ll be ready to go.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
@ThomD - You are absolutely right. Thanks for that link.
I'm not at all implying that this is not a serious situation, or to be complacent or reckless. Or, that the graph and tracking is not relevant.
However, the curve can be a bit misleading. I don't believe it is spreading that rapidly. The graph is a representation of the sudden and rapid increase of testing and test results, not necessarily the virus itself. The truth is, many people have it, had it, recovered, infected others, etc, before testing even started. If people had been consistently and regularly going to the hospitals and getting tested specifically since Jan, the graph probably wouldn't have the sudden and drastic spike in March. Also, people are overwhelming the hospitals and wanting to be tested for every sneeze an hiccup now that everyone has been scared out of their minds. Those are the people that are stressing the healthcare infrastructure, not the people who are actually sick and in need of care.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Long road trip may be OK if everything goes as planned, but if you break down, or have an accident, or get sick, etc., it could get ugly quickly.

I don’t have a choice but to stay where I am, so wouldn’t risk it anyway unless I absolutely had to help a family member that had no other assistance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
@RD - Quite a dilemma. Wouldn't wish a summer in Gila Bend on anyone without some type of cooling. That's quite a ways off so you may want to secure a small window swamp cooler w/line+fittings (at least) to have on hand, just in case things go berserk, state lines get closed, and you're stuck.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm not at all implying that this is not a serious situation, or to be complacent or reckless. Or, that the graph and tracking is not relevant.
However, the curve can be a bit misleading. I don't believe it is spreading that rapidly. The graph is a representation of the sudden and rapid increase of testing and test results, not necessarily the virus itself. The truth is, many people have it, had it, recovered, infected others, etc, before testing even started. If people had been consistently and regularly going to the hospitals and getting tested specifically since Jan, the graph probably wouldn't have the sudden and drastic spike in March. Also, people are overwhelming the hospitals and wanting to be tested for every sneeze an hiccup now that everyone has been scared out of their minds. Those are the people that are stressing the healthcare infrastructure, not the people who are actually sick and in need of care.
RnR

I agree with you. The statistics are the statistics and the analysis is always trickier to get a “real picture“.

With this slippery “ghost” virus it is even harder to get the “real picture”. Isolation or as close to it is the best defense against this extremely contagious virus.

I understand “the governments & authorities of the world” were asleep or paralyzed with other constraints other than health. In January & the start of February I thought the higher ups are not that concerned, now they are pleading with us all to self distance & better yet isolate. Our residential care facilities are closed off to non-essential people & the grandparents are eating in their rooms not in the community dining hall.

Canada’s “First Lady” for lack of a better descriptor has or had covid & Our “Prime Minister” who is isolated with his family either did not get it or has not been tested, & shows no signs of symptom.

So as you have writte, stats are skewed as when you ramp up the testing you will find more infected people. Hopefully not van traveling ghost carriers conducting non-essential travel.

RD;

Incase you have read my posts & concluded my words were directed in your direction, they are not.

For now in most parts of Canada & USA “Essential Travel” is being defined by the “Traveller”. When things get worse & they are getting worse every minute right now, “Essential Travel” will be defined by Our Law Makers & enforced by who the law makers turn to to enforce.

I am not sure of the USA as I am paying more attention to Canada, but our Law Makers & Health Care Professionals are pleading with our Citizens to comply with the ever increasing requested & mandatory social distancing and isolation. If we don’t comply willingly in order to save lives, they will impose & ramp up enforcement in Canada.

Whatever You Need to Do, I Wish You All the Best.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts