Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost everyone on this forum seems to love the vinyl seats but sadly for me, they are horrible. I have never sweat more than with these seats. They don’t breath at all here in hot Texas. I looked at the Ram parts to swap the seat coverings to cloth and it looks to be about $1200 which is out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat covers that will actually help cool the seats a bit or at least decrease the sweating on my back and rear? I believe just putting cloth covers over the vinyl will not help as the vinyl will be immediately below the cloth.

The seats themselves are comfortable but I’ve owned vehicles with vinyl, cloth and versions of leather and I have never had them make me sweat as bad as these do. I searched and didn’t find anyone with this particular problem.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The only thing I can think of that would put some distance between you and the seat without adding a ton of thickness is neoprene.
But I've never used it and don't know if it would help or actually make it worse. People use it to protect their seats and I'm not sure how breathable it is. Besides that, all I can think is a layer of foam and then cloth covers.
Maybe someone with the neoprene covers will chime in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can think of that would put some distance between you and the seat without adding a ton of thickness is neoprene.
But I've never used it and don't know if it would help or actually make it worse. People use it to protect their seats and I'm not sure how breathable it is. Besides that, all I can think is a layer of foam and then cloth covers.
Maybe someone with the neoprene covers will chime in.
Neoprene is an interesting suggestion. I’ll look into that. Anyone try it?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used these in my Subaru (with cloth seats) and loved them, not sure if they will work as well on vinyl.

I am not sure if they make them for the promaster or not, but there has to be something similar out there

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some people love sheep/wool seat covers. Apparently even though it looks like it would be warm it actually is pretty cool in summer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Almost everyone on this forum seems to love the vinyl seats but sadly for me, they are horrible. I have never sweat more than with these seats. They don’t breath at all here in hot Texas. I looked at the Ram parts to swap the seat coverings to cloth and it looks to be about $1200 which is out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat covers that will actually help cool the seats a bit or at least decrease the sweating on my back and rear? I believe just putting cloth covers over the vinyl will not help as the vinyl will be immediately below the cloth.

The seats themselves are comfortable but I’ve owned vehicles with vinyl, cloth and versions of leather and I have never had them make me sweat as bad as these do. I searched and didn’t find anyone with this particular problem.

Thoughts?
Hmmm. The way I approach this issue in Florida during the steamy summer is the way people in the great white north approach it in the winters: I pre-start the van and blast the climate control. I have one of the sweatiest backs/butts known to mankind and this works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Almost everyone on this forum seems to love the vinyl seats but sadly for me, they are horrible.
We almost bought a PM with vinyl seats but ended up with one with cloth seats for which I'll be eternally grateful. Our 2003 other car has cloth seats and they've held up quite well over the years.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do they still make the wire wound seat inserts that covered the bottom and back of the seat. I remember these because of the vinyl seat covers in the 50's & 60's. The seat inserts were covered with open weave plastic covering wire wound in the seat and back to allow air flow.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
165 Posts
In my F150 I have “Wet Okole” custom neoprene seat covers. They fit like a glove and are super comfortable and cushy on my tushy.

However, the colored insert and piping I ordered (Navy blue to match my truck) faded in the harsh California sun in just a year., not the black, though, interestingly. They replaced the inserts for free, but not the piping.
Nevertheless, I do love them, but they are not cheap. I see that they list “Dodge Promaster” as an option, but I would call to make sure that they are for the full size Van and not the City.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts