Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
One more from Kodachrome Basin, Utah. And . . . ohh . . . careful on comments concerning 'that' background formation.
Considering your other picture, you seem to have a thing for these kinds of formations!

·
Registered
624 Posts
KNDLKSTMS
Guess we missed the "Cool Cave" . . . but really enjoyed our 'topside' hike along the Angel Palace trail.

Powderhunds
It's probably more to do with 'where we were', than any special affinity for 'those kinds of formations'. Kodachrome Basin was a hidden gem and we'd recommend it to others who might be in the Bryce Canyon area.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Mikesee, the Wind Rivers are about 300 miles from Laramie. We were just outside Titcomb Basin for the eclipse. The van was sitting lonely at Elkhart Park.
You're right -- thanks for the correction. Meant Lander. Just above the North Fork of the Little Wind.

·
Banned
413 Posts
That's a very professional looking sky shot . . . can you tell us what camera and settings you used?
I have a few others I should find and post.

Canon 5D3 body, Sigma 14/1.8 lens, 30 second exposure, ISO (most likely) at 8000. 2 second delay on the shutter to let the body stop vibrating from my meat mitts...

·
Banned
413 Posts
That's a very professional looking sky shot . . . can you tell us what camera and settings you used?

Here are two more. Top shot is near Banner Summit in ID, and the t-storm shot is near Cochetopa Dome in CO. That's actually the dome rising behind the van.

The hard part of these shots is actually balancing the ambient light coming from the van -- very easy to overcook. Helps to have a willing compatriot (wife) that agrees to (and is good at) counting to ~10, turning lights on for a ~10 count without rocking the van, then turning them back off. After ~10 exposures (fiddling with composition mostly, because it's too dark to understand what the viewfinder 'sees', so you have to bracket your way in, and often riiiiiiiight when you think you got 'the' shot, a plane flies through the frame and you have to wait a few minutes for it to clear your FOV and then start again) I step away from the tripod, walk over to the van, and refill her glass of wine...

Very dark skies in both places.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you explain?
It's a Paranormal, Bigfoot, Cryptid, UFO Conference that happened in Greensburg PA.
We went to the Mothman Museum in West Virginia before we went to the conference.
We do a Paranormal and Weird News Podcast and we wanted to do some researching before the conference.
We attend a bunch of these conferences for the podcast and our campervan is our home on wheels when we travel. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
My daughter and I drove to Steptoe Butte, WA. We saw this rental Travato up there (not our van -- at top looking east):

This is our rather-less-complete van and our hot doggo. Nice to have some frozen ice cream from the freezer as a cool-down snack. We parked about halfway up then walked the road up to the top (looking west from ~1/2 way up):

It was a great day, lots of people with big lenses and tripods staking out places for taking pictures as the "golden hour" approached. I did my best with my little camera:

Back in the late 80's I used to hang glide from there, I loved this shot of the rolling hills with snow only on their shaded, north sides:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Here are two more. Top shot is near Banner Summit in ID, and the t-storm shot is near Cochetopa Dome in CO. . .

I step away from the tripod, walk over to the van, and refill her glass of wine...
Thanks for your detailed and humorous response . . . surprised you were able to get such 'pin-point' star images on a 30 second exposure. Using a clock drive?
Winston

81 - 100 of 131 Posts