Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my Vanrug delivered today and got it installed. I like it. Thicker than I anticipated and the carpet texture is very nice. Very good quality and the underside of the rug seems to fit all the floor ribs accurately. The fit is good.

I ordered for the 118 WB but when you do you get a rug that's for the 118 and 136 WB and you have to cut about 17 inches off the length to make it fit the 118. The part you have to remove is at the cab end not the rear door end. I must say that if you do get one for the 118 be careful on cutting it off. They have a barely noticeable indention all the way across the carpet that indicates where to cut the rug to fit the cab end of the van for a 118 WB. I didn't trust the indicator on the carpet so I made a cardboard template of the area between the front of the wheel well to the raised floor section of the cab. Sure enough the indicator line was off. If I had used that line the rug would have been a full inch too short and would not have reached the raised section of the cab floor. I cut to my template and it was an exact fit.

The rug fits everywhere else pretty good but not snug especially in the rear behind the wheel wells. There the rug likes about an inch on each side of the van of meeting the sides snug. I guess the manufacturer doesn't realize that the Promaster is wider in the rear at the back door than at the front of the wheel wells. About a 2 inch difference. Apparently they didn't measure a real van. Probably was somehow computer scanned and the rug was die cut to that scan or something. Who knows? Won't matter anyway as a closet will cover it. The length of the rug fit all the way to the rear as it should and the fit around the wheel wells was pretty close. The rug had tie down slits cut to expose the D rings if you so wished or leave the slit closed. I removed all the front tie downs and left only the rear pair. Overall am very pleased with my purchase. Got it on Amazon and got it quick.

Took a decibel reading from the driver's seat pointing the sound meter rearward going down a local residential street that generates some typical road noise. 72 decibels in naked van. Will take another reading down the same street with the rug installed before I install the Noico on the wheel wells and wherever. And then a reading with rug and Noico installed. Thinsulate is on the way. Will take another reading when that is installed without the walls and ceiling up. The fun has begun!:D

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SNGABC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got my Vanrug delivered today and got it installed. I like it. Thicker than I anticipated and the carpet texture is very nice. Very good quality and the underside of the rug seems to fit all the floor ribs accurately. The fit is good.

I ordered for the 118 WB but when you do you get a rug that's for the 118 and 136 WB and you have to cut about 17 inches off the length to make it fit the 118. The part you have to remove is at the cab end not the rear door end. I must say that if you do get one for the 118 be careful on cutting it off. They have a barely noticeable indention all the way across the carpet that indicates where to cut the rug to fit the cab end of the van for a 118 WB. I didn't trust the indicator on the carpet so I made a cardboard template of the area between the front of the wheel well to the raised floor section of the cab. Sure enough the indicator line was off. If I had used that line the rug would have been a full inch too short and would not have reached the raised section of the cab floor. I cut to my template and it was an exact fit.

The rug fits everywhere else pretty good but not snug especially in the rear behind the wheel wells. There the rug likes about an inch on each side of the van of meeting the sides snug. I guess the manufacturer doesn't realize that the Promaster is wider in the rear at the back door than at the front of the wheel wells. About a 2 inch difference. Apparently they didn't measure a real van. Probably was somehow computer scanned and the rug was die cut to that scan or something. Who knows? Won't matter anyway as a closet will cover it. The length of the rug fit all the way to the rear as it should and the fit around the wheel wells was pretty close. The rug had tie down slits cut to expose the D rings if you so wished or leave the slit closed. I removed all the front tie downs and left only the rear pair. Overall am very pleased with my purchase. Got it on Amazon and got it quick.

Took a decibel reading from the driver's seat pointing the sound meter rearward going down a local residential street that generates some typical road noise. 72 decibels in naked van. Will take another reading down the same street with the rug installed before I install the Noico on the wheel wells and wherever. And then a reading with rug and Noico installed. Thinsulate is on the way. Will take another reading when that is installed without the walls and ceiling up. The fun has begun!:D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SNGABC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice write up. I have this too in my 158. I like it a lot. I am not sure if I will leave this as my final floor or not? I like the feel and how simple it is. Right now I am leaning towards building cabinets on the plywood on the sides (on top of the vanrug) only and leaving the vanrug exposed for the main walking area. This keeps the weight down. Not sure if dirt filters it way through this and accumulates under the vanrug? I might cut the vanrug around the cabinets so I can remove the vanrug and clean under it from time to time. I am a little concerned about moisture build up under this too.

What are your plans for your build with the vanrug?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice write up. I have this too in my 158. I like it a lot. I am not sure if I will leave this as my final floor or not? I like the feel and how simple it is. Right now I am leaning towards building cabinets on the plywood on the sides (on top of the vanrug) only and leaving the vanrug exposed for the main walking area. This keeps the weight down. Not sure if dirt filters it way through this and accumulates under the vanrug? I might cut the vanrug around the cabinets so I can remove the vanrug and clean under it from time to time. I am a little concerned about moisture build up under this too.

What are your plans for your build with the vanrug?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I will be able to make all my cabinetry and such outside my van and then move into the van and bolt down. For now the plan is to keep the rug and place the cabinetry on the rug. Will see how that goes.

Alternate plan is to put plywood over the rug perhaps 3/4 inch hardwood ply or thinner. Wife and I really like this rug so hope to keep it down. Just not going to worry about the moisture. Perhaps I will do the same, cutting the rug around the cabinetry and removing the rug periodically, at least once to see what's happening under it over time. Plywood floor would make it hard to remove and check under it or clean under it so hope to not go that route. I've had several vans over the years and never really saw any indications of moisture damage. Maybe it was there but I never saw it. Had two VW vans, one Astro Van and one full tilt custom chevy van and one 24 foot Class C motorhome. I live in heart of Texas, don't know if the environment is conducive to moisture build up. Other Texans here might know more about that. My van build is not for camping, mostly just building a well outfitted travel van that I can nap in, rest my back, wash up, pee an' poop and change clothes and have a healthy meal when on the road. Hmmm.........that sounds a lot like a camper van. Well I guess I could camp in it if there was a need to but not planning on spending cold or hot nights out in it. Will see.

I wouldn't mind finding some more of the Van rug material, a little thinner with a smooth back to do the sides with over some 1/4 inch plywood. That would look nice as my van is silver on the inside. The gray rug looks outstanding with the silver.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't mind finding some more of the Van rug material, a little thinner with a smooth back to do the sides with over some 1/4 inch plywood. That would look nice as my van is silver on the inside. The gray rug looks outstanding with the silver.
Found that the Vanrug is available in a 66 inch by 98 inch rug without the ribs underneath and is 1/2 inch thick. It is actually a universal fit rug for pickups that you cut to fit your self to be installed over bed liners. 105 bucks for one of them. May use this to do the sides of the van. Would install with those plastic Christmas tree stud fasteners. That is what is recommended to install in the bed of a truck.

Shown on this page about middle ways down on the page. Universal fit. https://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bedliners/bedrug_mat_truck_bed_mat.htm

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the van rug as my final floor and it works well. I wish I had coated the floor with a something like flex seal first for sound deadening and additional insulation.

When you are barefoot and it is cold out you will feel the ribbing and some cold.

If you put your cabinets on the insulation, they will compress the rug over time. I bolted things in immediately and over time it has settled and are there some small gaps now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound tested the van today with the Vanrug installed. Wife noted that the decibel test earlier without the Vanrug was actually 72.5db. Today it was 71.0 on the same strip of road. 1.5db less. I really couldn't tell much difference to my ear but the meter showed some reduction. Next will install Noico on wheel wells and other spaces and then test.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the van rug as my final floor and it works well. I wish I had coated the floor with a something like flex seal first for sound deadening and additional insulation.

When you are barefoot and it is cold out you will feel the ribbing and some cold.

If you put your cabinets on the insulation, they will compress the rug over time. I bolted things in immediately and over time it has settled and are there some small gaps now.
Thanks for the info. Am leaning more to putting down a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood floor over the van rug and some commercial carpet over the plywood. Might help a little on the sound deadening and insulation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts