Premium Member
8,810 Posts
It doesn't

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying again Vanna Build 2017

So like many of us- this design is around carrying 4 bikes inside- two road/two mountain for me and my wife. Couple of innovations that might interest folks- we use a cooler that slides out on locking sliders for a step to get into the bed. The bed is on ATV loading ramps to save space. The drawers are dovetailed thanks to a friend and we are putting in a low height doorway cabinet for outside cooking under a future awning. That will have a folding table that extends 3 feet from the door.
The refrigerator (coming this week) is elevated on the battery box behind the drivers seat.
For you electrical types- there are 2 300W panels and two Deka 12V AGMs- total 194 amps. I have reconfigured the panel 3 times and I think I have it right now.
Just getting around to finish work- 1/8 inch birch ply where I can get away with it and 1/2 inch marine where I need backup. Came up with the drawer lock idea in the middle of the night. We need something solid as I have been doing a fair amount of backcountry driving on lousy roads. Nothing like testing how your drawers stay closed with 4 miles of crawling over rocks- not to mention the solar panels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The album works great!

It may be late to do this but they make a waterproof grommet for where the wires enter your waterproof boxes on the roof.
These are probably not the right size (thread) but give you an idea. I have found them to be perfectly waterproof in 2 years.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/cable-gland-waterproof-connector-plastic/dp/B01CTXWV48/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1502189755&sr=8-8&keywords=waterproof+electrical+grommet[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
I was just going to post the same thing. Those Romex connectors are not waterproof and should never be used in a solar installation (much less any exterior application).

Gotta get early to beat RD I guess! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Album works. Nice build so far! I've used those same waterproof grommets on I built with no issues also.

Buying a big tube of dicor and spreading it everywhere would probably work too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good feedback on those glands. So far so good..I have sprayed them at the car wash with high pressure hose.
Will likely have to reapply sealant. My next build will be way easier and smarter.��

1 - 10 of 10 Posts