Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went over a Cat Scale to see how much my homebuilt camper van weighs. Below is my weight in pounds, full tank of fuel, sans gear and toys.

2014 2500 159” High Roof Gas

6580 - Total
3440 - Front
3140 - Rear

That’s about 1700# over what Ram says it weighed from the factory when it was an empty shell. Still planning on a roof rack, external gray water tank, rotopax, ladder - but I should still be good.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
FCA says 4,764 lbs dry and empty. If you weighed it I expect it would have been 200 lbs more for fluids so it should have weighed 4.964+- and a diesel van is 200 lbs. more say 5,100 due to the increased fluids (5 gal of DEF, an extra gallon of oil, plus diesel weighs more, etc). My van with conversion and all our stuff ready to leave for a camping trip weighs 6,150+- (add us, to get to 6,500).
So my conversion and all our stuff with water, us and the JRT Jack, porta pottee, etc is probably 1400 lbs. 700-800 lbs of conversion, near 400 lbs for three souls, and 200+- for our stuff. All estimates of course and using the FCA numbers for the van which might be close?

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Plus you have a 159 Ed. That means you start out at 4889 plus the 200for fluids =5089 and then all that plywood, probably 600 lbs? It would be easy to get to 7,500 with a home conversion but you would have lots of capacity in reserve. Remember the manufactured ones are often close to the GVWR of 9,300 for the 2500 LWB non-extended with about 200 lbs left for all your stuff.
A glassed van is listed at about 100 lbs. more, MsNomer and Ed, so I would have guessed close to your measurements. Woodwork weights but it’s still a lightweight camper.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Or a compact and nimble 118" . Oh well .

PS , Wish I'd weighted before installations . And made a trip to the drags , see what she'll do . . . .

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Gotta love those dinky high tops. Perfect proportions! Or those double dinky shorties. 159? Er...... way too long to look right. Don’t get me started on those Double stretched EXTs. Really- we like what we have and you should too.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,822 Posts
But if you have a high top and wish you had gotten a low top, there is a solution:

(A full-height metal partition behind the shelf put the brakes on. No apparent damage to the cab interior.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But if you have a high top and wish you had gotten a low top
I’ve known two people who have hit a low pass. One was my dad who had a very low bridge scrape the A/C unit off the top of his motorhome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently registered my 2017 Promaster 1500 in California. The inspector said I'd need a weight slip, so I got one, and I was within about 30#'s of advertised empty weight. The difference is probably the milk crate with a trailer hitch and accessories I keep in the back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2017 159 camper conversion weighs 8500 lbs when fully loaded, i.e., full tank of gas, 24 gallons of fresh water, 20 lb propane tank, four 6V golf cart batteries, cabinets, furnace, refrigerator, bedding, food, clothes, 2 dogs, and the wife and I. According to the CAT scale, 4360 lbs on the front axle and 4140 on the rear axle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts