Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone cares tops for low roof models should be available this summer, 118" first than 136".

I understand the first top will be an aerodynamic top approx 16" tall.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, Fiberine . com

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Other than looking great, what’s advantage versus high roof van? Granted it’s available for 118” WB, but I expect cost is higher than 136” factory high-roof. I like front view appearance but dont expect much demand.

I think they may find more market demand for a lower profile roof for low-roof vans that splits the difference between low- and high-roof vans. A van just under 8-feet for garageability while allowing a bit more headroom could have some appeal.

I also expect fiberglass camper roofs for high-roof vans may address greater demand. Regency has such a ProMaster, and VW has the California line of campers where at least one has extra high fiberglass roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A lot of people don't have the funds to buy a new or used high roof Promaster.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I get that, and agree completely. But does a low roof PM with an added fiberglass roof cost less? Will it save on overall cost versus buying a factory high roof PM van (new or used)?

By the way, here is picture of shorter VW Crafter van with camper roof addition. It actually has a bed in front over cab for a couple of children — like small version of a Class C. It looks similar to me to the Regency ProMaster. Both offer a lot of vertical interior height — over 7-feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get that, and agree completely. But does a low roof PM with an added fiberglass roof cost less? Will it save on overall cost versus buying a factory high roof PM van (new or used)?
Not sure what a top cost, down the road and when or if FCA increases production numbers the price might make more sense. I think someone who got a LR and later wants a HR it's now doable.

On the bright side you can turn a topper into a pop top.

I can't imagine driving with that 34" top on. Maybe they will come out with the camper top.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I’d prefer to see the super high factory roof offered here in North America. That would open a lot of design possibilities.

The 34” top on short low-roof looks odd, plus van doors remain low for entry and exit. Maybe a 24” top for extended high roof PM, so overall height is about the same, would look and work better to build a spacious camper van. Having said that, in my opinion it’s hard to beat a factory roof. I like the simplicity, safety, erc.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's what an American version of a 118" high roof looks like, approx 3" taller than the tallest Ducato, IMO the appearance is acceptable, no pictures of the inside, I suspect the inside to look like every other Fiberine install.
Dodge Promaster Van

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a Ducato 118" for comparison,

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not for everyone :)
34" topper on a 136"

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Not for everyone :)
34" topper on a 136"

That’s a lot of height. For a full timer or camper who doesn’t drive much, that top could easily fit a bed up there and still have room below. For people who tour or drive a lot, I’d worry about handling and fuel economy.

My E-Series has extra 17” which allows me to stand comfortably. Even half that on LR ProMaster would be plenty for me, but at that point why not just go to high roof? If I can’t stay below 8 feet tall, then extra height not as much of a problem. Still, I’d like to see a PM roof height between LR and HR.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts