Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

My questions about 136HT 1500 vs 2500 have been answered. With my light build, I'm going with the 1500.

Meanwhile my other question about dealing with the pronounced tilt received some informative replies, but for me the question is still open. Since the "Tilt" issue wasn't mentioned in the thread title, I started this thread to link to that thread.

Several of you wrote about simple fixes: tilting the bed mounts, front wheel elevation devices, looking for tilted parking spot, which will help compensate, but I'm looking for a robust solution that will address the cause.

RDinNMandAZ wrote:
"Some posters have removed a leaf from the springs and then added airbags but expect to pay $400-$500 depending if you have a compressor for them. KOV did that. I talked to a truck spring shop about de-cambering my rear springs and he can do it but suggested I camp for the winter and make sure I want it done. I have, I do. I'll post up in early June what the difference is."

$400-$500 is okay if it works well, but it sounds a little complicated. De-cambering sounds much simpler so I lean that way. I look forward to hearing RD's report.

Has anyone else worked on the issue? Anything to report?

Thanks
Larry B in Portland
Planning my move from VW Westy to Promaster 136HT

·
Registered
810 Posts
A lot of people who removed the shorter leaf spring, and did not do airbags or change shocks, most of them resulted in a near level promaster.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Larry,

On my build it hasn't been a priority because my couches/bed run from front to back, so we will sleep with our heads at the higher end, which happens to be the back where there is a headboard-like wall. I would guess it's a bigger issue for across-the-van-sleeping (rolling out of bed, into one's life partner, rolling over onto the Leatherman on your belt, etc).

I have a 2500 and I have thought about the spring-removal process, but I'd have to have someone do it.... I'll build a van, but I'm not messing with the suspension myself!

The HT is the best part of your proposed van... you'll love it!

Ed

ps. Portland OR, ME, CT ? If you get a chance, why not put your location in the settings for your User ID?... it becomes very useful! Easy to do in the USER CP which you get to in the top right hand corner of the screen.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Well, I've removed the extra spring and put in the air bags. The van rides ride level now but other than visually it was never really a problem either. It rides a bit better with the air bags - $400+ better - not really! What you really need for camping, at least, is just softer springs. They are most likely available in Europe and, perhaps, the NA window models use them (although I doubt it).

You wanted to know and I've told you the reality of it all. Save you money and import softer springs from the "Old World"!

·
Registered
171 Posts
In Europe Fiat Ducato (and Citroen/Peugeot versions) have more leaf springs options than Ram Promaster that is offered only with heavy dusty double leaf springs.
Most Fiat Ducato are sold with single leaf spring that are more flat than double leaf versions (there is also a composite leaf spring used for passengers versions).
There are also aftermarket leaf spring offered for motorhomes owners or upfitters as well as shock absorbers.

You can check UK websites for Fiat Ducato X250 (manufactured from 2006) single leaf springs, it can be found around USD 125 - 200 each.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,556 Posts
Would the softer springs handle as well in wind? It's pretty common for us to go "up the Gangplank" from Cheyenne to Laramie where crosswinds can be 50+ mph. In its stock condition, the PM handles like a champ.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Reactions: frater secessus
1 - 7 of 7 Posts