Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here notice they pick up a couple miles per gallon right after a oil & filter change?

My PM has done it every time. My old Ford E350 did it too.

Some folks have told me that 5k miles is too soon to do an oil change. But the motors really seem to appreciate it.

In my almost 60 years I have always been a anal mechanic when it comes to preventive maintenance. I watched my Dad beat many cars to death growing up. I guess it offended me. ;) I find I can't do that. I was a Navy Nuc plant mechanic. My OCD was channeled in a heathy way to take care of machinery. I have owned over a dozen vehicles over the years plus many motorcycles. I have rebuilt motors on projects, but never worn out a motor myself. Auxiliaries, sure. Had to change out alternators, radiators and clutches. But never wore out a motor. In the Navy I saw a lot of equipment die from dirty fluids.

I've come to believe that fresh oil IS the best mechanic.

Not trying to start an oil thread here. I did my 15k service on my PM the other day. Sure as heck, it started doing 2 mpg better in mixed driving!

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I picked up 2 mpg after anything I would be ecstatic. I was getting just a hair over 15mpg in my gaser before and now at about 600 miles after I'm getting the same.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have always felt I got a few tanks of improved mileage after I wax the van.

Vouish- Read the manual?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get the 5 quart bottles of 5w 20 Valvoline synthetic at Walmart. Tough price to beat at $22. ****, a single quart bottle is up to $8. Since you need 6 quarts for a change, I buy an extra 5 qt bottle and use it up for a 6th quart for a while. That way I just have to buy the 5 qt bottle and a filter come each change time.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a BJs member. I'll look at that, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts