Just got cost shock increase from only carrier we could find
$1400/yr will minimal liability and 500 deductable on property
Perfect driving record
Anyone got a good carrier?

·
Registered
62 Posts
KOV,
I have a question about your Progressive insurance. Did you get it on their web site or through an insurance agent? Do you know for a fact that Progressive knows they are insuring a DIY conversion? The reason I ask is because in July of 2019 I crashed my PM 6 days into its maiden voyage and after 8 months of working on the conversion. This happened on Prince Edward Island; I live in IL. The van was totaled without any airbags going off. Anyway, I just last week settled with my insurance company after invoking the appraisal clause. They only wanted to pay for the van and about $1,000 more for equipment. After invoking the appraisal clause I came out okay but it took 9 months to settle. And, the van was insured as an RV.

Now I am doing a new build and want to go to Progressive and do it on-line but afraid that if I have a claim they will come back and say that since it is a DIY conversion they won't cover it.

Anyone have Progressive and gone through a claim?

·
Registered
245 Posts
KOV,
I have a question about your Progressive insurance. Did you get it on their web site or through an insurance agent? Do you know for a fact that Progressive knows they are insuring a DIY conversion? The reason I ask is because in July of 2019 I crashed my PM 6 days into its maiden voyage and after 8 months of working on the conversion. This happened on Prince Edward Island; I live in IL. The van was totaled without any airbags going off. Anyway, I just last week settled with my insurance company after invoking the appraisal clause. They only wanted to pay for the van and about $1,000 more for equipment. After invoking the appraisal clause I came out okay but it took 9 months to settle. And, the van was insured as an RV.

Now I am doing a new build and want to go to Progressive and do it on-line but afraid that if I have a claim they will come back and say that since it is a DIY conversion they won't cover it.

Anyone have Progressive and gone through a claim?
Since the accident happened on PEI, did that add to the issues you had to deal with? Never thought about vehicle coverage going into Canada and any wrinkle that could cause. I've heard DIY Van's being covered by National General

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since the accident happened on PEI, did that add to the issues you had to deal with? Never thought about vehicle coverage going into Canada and any wrinkle that could cause. I've heard DIY Van's being covered by National General
The only problem with being outside the US was: 1. since the vehicle was totaled I had to ship all my personal belongings home, some not worth the shipping expense. 2. The accident occurred an hour from the closest town on festival weekend so I had to take the last room in town and rent the last available car in town and far exceeded my reimbursable expenses. 3. It took a full week to settle business and leave. 4. I had to fly home on short notice which was expensive. Insurance gave me $600 total expense plus $40/day for car rental. I had to sign over the title to ins. so they could bring the vehicle across the border which took about 10 weeks to do. My DIY van was supposed to be covered. I had it insured as an RV when I bought it and 8 months later when I was ready to take my first trip I confirmed with ins that it was insured as an RV but when it came time to settle they wanted to give my the value of the van plus about $1000 to cover my conversion costs. Thank goodness I had pictures and receipts for everything I bought.

KOV, I am probably just running scared but insurance companies seem to place a lot of importance on NOT paying off. Be careful not to give them any excuse to not pay a claim.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
Mine is also covered as an RV and the allowances are much higher than you had. I also have an agreed value for the RV of $45,000 which they maintain for 10 years and I pay the premium to keep it in place. If totaled and the insurance company honors its contarct I feel I would come out whole which is what insurance is supposed to do. Depreciation on vehicles and RV especially make insurance payoffs a small part of the investment. I hope to avoid that.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
RV policies offer more coverage at less cost (typically). As I said my ‘14 is insured with a Progressive under an RV policy for under $450 a year. My RV policy was obtained thru an RV insurance broker and is serviced by Progressive’s commercial division. RD obtained his online without any help and although both are from Progressive with similar coverages and costs we’ve never actually compared the two policies. He has a stated value on his of $45k I actually have no idea how much value mine is covered for if it’s only what I told the broker when he asked what I paid for it and I told him which was before conversion costs, or the actual cost including conversion.
My new ‘20 is just insured under my existing auto policy with another company as a Promaster van for personal use. It’s about $200 more per year than the Progressive RV policy I gave on my ‘14 and I’ve been trying to decide if I should even get an RV policy on if for some of the very valid reasons you state. My conversion is about 90% completed. I only have to finish off the ceiling, floors and trim the windows. I have all the material to finish it off and only need a few weeks to do it all. I will have spent well under $3500 on materials and 3 months (max) on labor to convert it so I’m wondering if the hassle of obtaing an RV policy is even worth it (for my needs). I’m beginning to think not and may just leave well enough alone.
Fortunately, I have the skills, time, tools and experience to have done it all myself so it’s no big deal to me financially or otherwise but for those that don’t it can be a very big problem, for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had progressive on our truck for many years here in FLA
They would not insure our new pm
And do not insure diy conversions as RVs
Now have dairy land without
mention of conversion
At $1600/yr
Will keep looking
Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
23 Posts
AllState simple auto policy here in PA (not as RV) fully covers my '2018 for $420 per year with a $1k deductible.

I decided against jumping through hoops for RV coverage of the conversion into which have sunk about $5k for materials together with my own labor (priceless).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went with Progressive, went to the Website and got a quote for Class B RV for $429/yr. with high coverage. Their policy states that you must have several items that would make it qualify as an RV. All of which I can and will do with my conversion. Hopefully I will never have to find out how well they handle a claim but it can't be any worse than my last claim. Also, you need to state your vehicle's value.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
My experience with them suggests you will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts