Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my experience with my new roof rack that I purchased through ebay. When I started shopping for a roof rack for my PMC I knew I didn't want to spend the $500+ on an oem system. I did want something that used the factory mounting locations and didn't require any modifications to the van. I ended up finding http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Guard-ULTI-Bar-Aluminum-3-Bars-Roof-Rack-with-Load-Stops-Ram-ProMaster-City-/182427086584?hash=item2a79806ef8:g:~xkAAOSw-0xYgKCr&vxp=mtr.

I was a bit concerned as the rack was going to be shipped from the UK. I've heard about problems with VAT being added or import duties of some type. I found the manufacturer's website and it only listed the Fiat version of our van (Doblo Maxi). I couldn't find anyone else who was using the rack on a PMC on youtube or forums like this. But I went ahead and took a chance, the seller's ebay feedback was good and paypal gives a buyer quite a bit of protection.

I awaited my order and received my rack system around the time it was promised. On my next day off I opened the box ready to install the rack only to discover it was a two bar system, not the three bar rack I'd ordered, and it was for a 2008 Citroen! But the folks at Van Demon (the ebay seller from UK) came through. I sent them a few photos of the incorrect rack and they immediately shipped a second rack without asking for the first rack back. I can forgive a mistake if the company responds quickly and rectifies it.

The second rack was delivered and this time it was exactly as expected. I was still a bit concerned about the install as the instructions were for the Fiat, but it turns out it fits perfectly. The instruction sheet was excellent and the install was about a 3 out of 10 in terms of difficulty.

The rack itself feels solid, looks like it belongs, and the sliding stoppers give plenty of carry options. The price is fair, the seller did in fact ship for free and I wasn't charged any extra tax or VAT or import duties. My one minor complaint is I do get a bit of wind whistle starting around 60-65mph. I kinda expected some noise and I can live with it. So in conclusion I can recommend this rack and seller without reservation for anyone looking to spend around $200 on a roof rack for their PMC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good to hear. $200 is a good price for a three bar rack, shipped from the UK.

Questions: How far past the mounts to the bars extend? In the center of the roof, what is the height added?

I went with a rack from Rola, available on etrailer. 4" past the mounts (3" usable for mounting), 2.75" added height.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fyi, ROLA makes a 2 or 3 bar rack for the PMC now.... Rola #59632 and Rola #59633 . They are aero bars and will mount to the existing rack holes with ONE bolt per leg. I found the legs on Ebay and modified them to use two bolts and attach to my truck bed rack horizontal bars. My bars sit 3 inches above the roof by the bolt holes and just under two inches at the roof center line, I think the actual kit will sit about the same height. They are a little more expensive but may be easier to obtain since there are online US distributers for ROLA.

Edit: Just saw that Geokite mention the ROLA racks above, these should be the model numbers for them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Rola racks have been good so far (cept for getting all the locking ends to have the same key, see my review at Amazon). Cargo box and paddle boards go up top. Bikes and having to use a ladder to get them up/down? That did not work out very well, so I just got a hitch rack for bikes.

Wow, suction cup racks. And I heard that some bikes get stolen by having the entire rack just cut off the vehicle...

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need some help. I am looking for a roof rack to mount a rooftop tent on my Promaster City. Does anyone know the static roof top weight capacity on the promaster city?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fyi, ROLA makes a 2 or 3 bar rack for the PMC now.... Rola #59632 and Rola #59633 . They are aero bars and will mount to the existing rack holes with ONE bolt per leg. I found the legs on Ebay and modified them to use two bolts and attach to my truck bed rack horizontal bars. My bars sit 3 inches above the roof by the bolt holes and just under two inches at the roof center line, I think the actual kit will sit about the same height. They are a little more expensive but may be easier to obtain since there are online US distributers for ROLA.

Edit: Just saw that Geokite mention the ROLA racks above, these should be the model numbers for them.

Found them for $303 for 3 shipped

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...leid=20161554803&hhmake=Ram&hhmodel=ProMaster City&hunter=roof&roofkit=BIKE,SKI,CARGO,BAG,BOX,BASK&manuf=ROLA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts